Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Yes but only in my own 'hood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but only fake money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but I give them booze

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Yeah, I give money to beggars. I’m thankful I’ve the money to give. Besides, being raised Catholic I’m aware of the story of St. Martin of Tours and in the back of my reptilian Catholic mind I’m afraid a beggar might be Christ testing me. I’d hate to get up to the Pearly Gates and St. Peter says, “Yeah, you’re the asshole that was doing OK but couldn’t spare a fin for that poor guy with the shakes who needed a drink. Well here’s another fin; take it and go to Hell.”
In light of your answer... I seldom do but do not completely shut them out either, I leave the pathway open long enough to sense what ever spirit might be there and once in a while it moves me to give and spend a moment acknowledging them as an individual, a person. If it gets to that point it is a rewarding experience of it's own.

I don't hand them money but if they're outside near a restaurant and I happen to be leaving with a doggie bag, I offer it to them. If they're truly hungry, they'll take it but if all they want is cash to feed their habit, they turn it down.

But I also feel 'there but for the grace of God go I"

Yeah, I give money to beggars. I’m thankful I’ve the money to give. Besides, being raised Catholic I’m aware of the story of St. Martin of Tours and in the back of my reptilian Catholic mind I’m afraid a beggar might be Christ testing me. I’d hate to get up to the Pearly Gates and St. Peter says, “Yeah, you’re the asshole that was doing OK but couldn’t spare a fin for that poor guy with the shakes who needed a drink. Well here’s another fin; take it and go to Hell.”

Yes I do.

Since my business is 100% cash ,and I have a concealed carry permit and never leave home unarmed I always carry cash with me ,if I even told how much I keep in my pocket nobody would believe me ,or say I'm bragging ,I can't remember when I left the house with less than $3,000 in cash ,usually more ,if you spend on cards the cash leaves a trail .

I'm getting the distinct feeling that some of you lead more interesting lives than I do.

I'm getting the distinct feeling that some of you lead more interesting lives than I do.

Not really ,Medical Marijuana farming is a boring ass job , especially the way I grow sea of green flood & drain singke cola hydroponics ,check the rez temps ,adjust pH ,change rez & nutes once a week ,raise lights every 2 days ,then harvest every 7 weeks ,trimming 7 to 10 lbs of bud is mind numbingly boring ,not to mention you get the Fred Sanford claw after about 18 hours of non stop trimming .

I always have at least $100 on me. Don't even have an ATM card.
If I come across someone who looks like they need something, I sometimes approach them. I seldom give money to people holding signs, but will buy anyone a meal, anytime. If I get snookered it doesn't bother me.
I drive through some pretty sketchy neighborhoods and am always getting approached at stoplights. It freaks me out.

Since my business is 100% cash ,and I have a concealed carry permit and never leave home unarmed I always carry cash with me ,if I even told how much I keep in my pocket nobody would believe me ,or say I'm bragging ,I can't remember when I left the house with less than $3,000 in cash ,usually more ,if you spend on cards the cash leaves a trail .
I carry that much too, not business related, just a reserve should a situation require it and nothing else will do. Never really had that situation, close a couple of times. In an emergency nothing speaks like cash.... away from home and immediate friends and resources. As an aside, by appearances no one would suspect it, think it... not clothes, car, attitude, comportment. Done it for years.

I've watched the boys on the corner for years, used to live in a sketchy area and knew a ton by sight. They used to just want to get a few dollars for a drink but now it's big business with a higher calling, either they run in groups, basically taking shifts or turns, or the gangs have taken over. Don't kid yourself, this is very big business, I've seen the fights over the good spots and know they make more than most people if they don't inject or drink the profits. The cities love it since they can use it as a political football for all of their programs. I tried it myself once, and yes you can do very well but you will make other people mad, I did it to see how easy it was and P.T. Barnum was completely right.

And for you guys that think your doing the right thing, be more productive and come down around 7 or 8 pm, when they crash on the sidewalks and need a lift to the hospital. I'm sure the hospitals or cities wouldn't mind a donation for the services to pick them up and get help. There's nothing that make you more mad than the guy "giving a hand up" in your neighborhood, then they drive to the suburbs, I'll drop some off in your neighborhood and see how you like them on every corner.

One night I picked up a hitchhiker on I75 zug Island overpass. It was past midnight and was starting to snow and this guy had no coat on. He gets in shivering and blessing me and all that and i ask what the hell he is doing out there. He had been Hitching since early up north and was picked up by 3 guys who took everything he had and whipped his ass. He had just got tossed to the curb a half hour or so when I showed up.
It's after midnight and I was heading home so I took him along. Sis had a pot of beans on the stove, left it and went to bed still cooking. (yes she burned the place down couple years later) But for him it was a godsend. Fed him. crashed him on the couch and went to sleep. In the AM I gave him a coat, a few dollars and put him back on the highway on my way to work.
Panhandlers mostly are frauds. I usually just dismiss them. I have always worked hard for my money so giving it away is reserved for a waiter or waitress who is working. I do not like the act's and props these people use. It's dishonest. When they get pushy I get very pushy right back. I actually had to yell one day at lunch "ARE YOU ROBBING ME????" They scooted. Not a game player. Not an enabler. I do not own enough to be greedy and help the needy in other ways.
Salvation Army is a organization which has done much good over the long haul. Worthy of support. I know. Paying for booze and smokes is something I decided not to do many years ago. I have more then once given food away. Bought coffee for people who obviously need it. Just last week a guy was fixing his truck in the autozone parking lot. It was hot so I grabbed a extra water for him. This was in south Phoenix.

Never to a beggar/panhandler. I do, however give generously to several charities that I know actually help people. Not the ones that keep 80% for "Administrative costs". So, GW is not one that I would support.

Never cash--I'll buy you a meal, give you my lunch (if I have one with me), cup of coffee, bottled water or soda, give you my spare sweatshirt or a blanket (I generally always have one in the truck)--but never cash. If you've got a dog, I'll offer to get you some dog food (which I generally have some quantity of with me in my truck because I take my dog to work a lot)--but never cash. If you are truly hungry, cold/hot, whatever, then you will be grateful to accept. If you're just looking for your next "fix"--keep looking.

Never give money to panhandlers/homeless etc. I've worked for many years in mental health and the great majority of homeless people who panhandle have a mental illness and choose to be homeless. There are abundant social, treatment, and residential resources to address their needs and by giving them money you allow them to circumvent that system of care. So when you give money you are only enabling their addiction or untreated mental illness.

I ignore them, save up and wait for the firemen with their boots. Hate to be empty handed when they come out.

They have become organized here, my daughter and I watched them the other day. They made Sonic their base camp and went out to the corners taking turns with the signs, seems like pregnant girl was pretty successful. Often you will a see a moderately attractive female panhandling at the corners and the meth head boyfriend is hiding near by.
To answer the question though, yes i do give to those truly in need, not sure if anyone remembers Jim a AK member who we raised $2400 for and got him an apartment and a new start. He reached out to me a year or so later, was still doing well with a roof over his head and a job.

Never give money to panhandlers/homeless etc. I've worked for many years in mental health and the great majority of homeless people who panhandle have a mental illness and choose to be homeless. There are abundant social, treatment, and residential resources to address their needs and by giving them money you allow them to circumvent that system of care. So when you give money you are only enabling their addiction or untreated mental illness.

This is exactly why I give them money. Many as you have stated are mentally challenged and may not be able to manage their welfare money. I too worked in ER where they show up for a hot meal, a bed to spend the night when it's too cold outside. They are taken in, yes they may abuse the system but why are they on the streets? Too many institutions were shut down here and they were shown the door without the necessary tools to earn a living. I choose to trust in them so one day they can overcome their illness, so I help if I can, I figure a human being is worth the risk for a few bucks.

I started giving food to the food bank at work. I work at a community college and I was surprised to find out we have many students that are homeless and trying to get through school - lots more that are right on the line. I was pretty broke in college and remember being hungry at times, so I started buying an extra $15 worth of groceries every week and I donate. It feels good to know I'm giving someone a meal ... maybe a little kid.

To answer the question : I give money sometimes but wonder if I'm not just being lazy. Those of you that offered true help my heart goes out to you. Giving someone a ride, propane, a place to stay - hot food, thats real charity and it's good to read. I know everything is a risk these days and I don't hold any judgement for those who don't give. You're probably wiser than I but I find it hard to just look the other way sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom