Do you have a favorite supplier of outdoor clothing ?

Heck yeah, great route! Climbed it in winter clothing(probably in July or August), was freeeezing, then when we were doing the ridgeline traverse ran into Peter Croft in shorts and a t-shirt(I think hed already ticked off a couple 14ers that morning lol). If you haven't climbed the east buttress or east face of mt. whitney(which has gained 11 feet of elevation in the past 22 years), check them out. Take some time off from work and spend a few days at iceberg lake(or a week, fishhook arete on nearby mt. russell is also accessible from iceberg lake). Also check out The Needles (my fave) north of Kernville. Black magic>magic dragon, white punks on dope, imaginary voyage, igor unchained, thin ice(some of my faves from easier to more difficult). Dome rock (5 miles from the needles) is a great warm up for the needles. Cheers and climb on!

Very cool! We wanted to do a traverse of the other 14ers, but we ran out of food getting caught in white out and heavy snow hiking up in August. My long time climbing partner is diabetic so we had to bail. I do want to do the East Buttress and the Fresh Air Traverse. Looks like a lot of fun. We did Matthes Crest a month later. Good stuff. Easy climbing on a knife edge and spectacular views.

I like dickies and carhartt also. Have a few old duxbak coats that I love and they don't make that brand anymore. For boots its keen or muck when its wet. Polar king gear is warm as hell and I always keep a pair of walls coveralls in the truck because they are warm but not so warm that sweats running down your crack if stuck in the boonies without cell coverage. When I was a teen I think I was stuck in every ditich in posey county indiana. Posey county is famous for woody on cheers being the posey county arm wrestling champ on a show lol,

Bibs and vest Carharrt ..- Jacket Wolverine.. - Overalls Walls ..- Long sleeve tees LL-Bean..- Boots USA Redwing..- Socks Wigwam XL crew.

The last supplier I bought from was Backcountry.com

Best-

Boozehound

Last edited:
I really like 5.11 for outdoors clothing. I own their pants, shorts, shoes, and bags. They're priced reasonably, and often have great sales. Quality of what I've seen has been top notch.

L.A. Police Gear has TONS of great stuff, and when they`re having their closeout sales, the prices are a very good deal. I recently bought a top-of-the-line rain jacket from them, original price $307, closeout price $39 bucks. Can`t beat that with a stick !

Levi 501 button-fly a pair of steel toe boots and an actual Pendleton. A barn coat from ORVIS and a wool stocking cap has served well when I could hunt up the Oregon Rocky Mountains. I saw allot of city boys up their with expensive gear that ended up in my camp cause their dogs would run of the first time they heard a big cat. Either that or they would run back to their camper trucks if they didn't get attack on the way. Three or four of them would get killed every year from shooting each other even in bright fluorescent orange. Yah know, out door clothes are for living outside and most that citified stuff doesn't do that very well. 3M water repellent on a pair of 501's with a pair of thermals does the best due to all the up and down hill climbing a person has to do. Then, if you have to run cause some huge Roosevelt elk buck is charging you and you can't get out of the way......Then, always have a shotgun across your back on a leather strap in case you have to drop your rifle and pull up your shotgun due to a cat that comes out the brush. Go with some old duffer that trains hunting dogs.....you'll find one of those in every NRA gun club.

PENDLETON

ORVIS

Last edited:
Ditto on the Red Wing boots. You can go from a leisurely dog walk, to a mountain hike, to a tap room, with nothing but comfort and panache. They last forever, making them a great value in spite of their cost and, most importantly, chicks dig 'em.

02-044851-how_to_break_in_your_first_pair_of_red_wing_boots.jpg

Sometimes when I want to feel proper, poking around in wet climes. I wear my Barbour Bedale. Waxed cotton, water and thorn proof. I've had mine near 30 years.

89775Wolv_lg.jpg

I have a waxed cotton motorcycle jacket for when I want to feel like Steve McQueen. A gift from my lovely wife.

Tonight, though, it's a Billabong t-shirt and OluKai flip flops.

The 'Nam era OG 107 ripstop togs, including tie-bottom trousers, shirts (short-, log-, and a few modified 3/4-sleeved utility shirts), assorted jungle jackets, "hot weather" caps, and the many dozens of similar items I bought up as a young'un @ Ft Bragg yard sales in the late '70s. Shit still fits and ripstop means ripstop -- not a single garment purchased @ those days is ripped through some 38 years later.

PS: forgot to include the jackets. several, all still intact as well.

Lately I've been on a Patagonia kick. Their short sleeve button ups are made really well!
Over the years, I've had bunch of Patagonia's A/C shirts. Great for hot weather and they have cool coconut buttons. A great company that gives back. There is an outlet in Santa Cruz if you are ever down that way and they have sales to boot.

Back
Top Bottom