Do you have too much gear (stuff)?

Do You Have Too Much Gear/Stuff?

• Yes, I am a hoarder and need help!

Votes: 70 24.4%
  • Somewhat, but I have cut down drastically on my wants/needs.

Votes: 126 43.9%
  • Not really, just started and am actively acquiring more.

Votes: 29 10.1%
  • No, not at all. I am good with what I have for now.

Votes: 62 21.6%

• Total voters
I didn't see an option for "not too much gear but not enough room."

Definitely running out of room and need to thin it out. Limit myself to one room and have to let some things go. Not to mention the unused, unworking parts in the basement that need to go to Bartertown.

Maybe tomorrow...

One of my other passions/hobbies was to collect vintage cameras of just about any make and/or model. The spare bedroom is now the "Camera Room" and these are just a few of the many I have collected over the years.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• vintagecamera_1.jpg
    vintagecamera_1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 127
  • vintagecamera_2.jpg
    vintagecamera_2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 125
I was down to one system in use with no extras. Now I built my new tube rig, so there's SS gear and DQ-10s sitting unused. Needs a new home, someone else might as well enjoy them.

I have more than i am currently using. But the only reason i have them is because i flip some of the finds to fund this hobby :D

+1.

They come to me. They call to me. They are happy to have a loving home.
They like to be repaired and working. We are happy together.

Some would like a new home.

Anyone answering "no"... "getting more"...Subscribe and cruise bartertown and adopt a loved one.

I need some more sources, and a hi-fi stand, and some more speakers - otherwise I'm OK :)

Nope, not any more!! I have been there -- buying, fixing and then listening and eventually selling--NO MORE!!!! I forked over the dough a while back for some gear that I researched and had several listening sessions to-- several different pieces of potential gear, ( over what seemed like a lifetime) and have been content from this time. All of the other gear that I had ( WAY to much all over the freakin house) is gone, sooooooooooooo happy with this!!!!! All I have now is in my sig line below...............

Last edited:
I purchased some 200 pieces of gear in eight years. This is sick, in my opinion. My last purchase was this year, a Kenwood Eleven G.

I sold a lot stuff or even gave away, or even threw away, so that I have now some 70 pieces of gear or so. Still too much but bearable because nothing will ever be added now. This makes it acceptable to me.

Yeah,I've got way too much! But I find it's a good healthy interest/hobby to have,therefore I enjoy it.
My last eBay purchase were Technics ST-9600/SE-9600/SU-9600 components.They'll be with me early-mid next week,am really looking forward to 'em,but they'll most likely be the last eBay audio purchase this year as finding space in the spare rooms is becoming increasingly difficult.

I was never a hoarder, but I did find it much easier to buy new gear than to sell or donate old gear. The result was a gear surplus that I've slowly been whittling down over the past few years. My goal for 2014 is to get rid of at least one component per month.

At one point I did have way too much gear. I was collecting vintage and new pieces left and right. Then a little over a decade ago,
I realized that the gear "owned me" and not the other way around.
I began a mass sell off and now have a very simple system and couldn't be happier.

At one point I did have way too much gear. I was collecting vintage and new pieces left and right. Then a little over a decade ago,
I realized that the gear "owned me" and not the other way around.
I began a mass sell off and now have a very simple system and couldn't be happier.

It is exactly this what I felt: The gear "owned me". I was possessed by gear.

Like some of you, gear, parts and tools started getting shoved into various holes through the house. Part of this was due to a large project that I intend to finish. That state was conducive to dilapidating the gear amongst other obvious lifestyle problems.

I recently had some vacation time and reorganized everything. An enclosed cabinet with heavy duty shelves was built. I've built a better organized workstation next to it. Ordered a few electronics tools and materials. After everything was done, I no longer feel overwhelmed. The new workstation is just tops. I think back on time spent to get all of the crap pulled together just to do a simple task. Diagnose and order parts. All of the crap had to go back to it's random hole. By the time parts got here I didn't feel like jacking with it.

Sure, some things will always be here that need to go. It's just part of the experience for me. I truly enjoy the music and tinkering with the gear. If either ever changes, then....

When we sold our house last year, while we were moving stuff into the storage units, my wife commented that over 2/3rds of it was mine. It's actually a lot more than that. Boxes with mysterious labels such as "SA-9800" and "RT-909", I said "oh, those are our food mixer and microwave oven"...

Still, the ten pairs of speakers over a friends house are kind of out of sight and therefore out of mind at the moment.

Lee.

BTW, I answered "yes, I am a hoarder and need help".

I have an inbuilt limiting system - all my gear has to be as perfect as it can be. Obviously vintage gear takes some bumps and knocks over the years and I accept that - but my gear must function as near perfect as I am able to make it - otherwise I am not happy.

Thus I could never own rooms and piles of unused, maybe faulty, and possibly incomplete equipment. :)

What?!? Doesn't everyone have a Pioneer SX-750 in their laundry room that their wife listens to? And a stack of unused SAE equipment in their original boxes under the basement stairs? Compared to some of you I am an odd-lotter, but a few less items wouldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom