Do you leave your car at the gas pump when you go into the store?

Do you leave your car at the gas pump when you go into the store?

• Why yes, I do.

Votes: 165 47.7%
  • No, I pump then park.

Votes: 137 39.6%
  • Neither, but let me explain.

Votes: 44 12.7%

• Total voters

Brett a

~◦●○o0o○●◦~
Subscriber
A few years ago, i had a guy actually yell at me for doing this at one of the Mobil Stations on the Merritt in CT. Although, at the time, it shook me up (I hadn't been yelled at since i was a kid.), he had a good point; Lesson learned.

Now I pump and then park to go into the convince store for whatever I need.

(Of course this is contingent on two things: paying at the pump, and getting gas a station with a store)

--How you vote is not public--

EDIT TO ADD:
I really should have written "BUSY" gas station.
I'll leave my car at the pump if there's only two of cars and 1o empty pumps. I guess I'm talking about a busy gas station.

Last edited:
I should add that I'll leave my car at the pump if there's only two of cars and 1o empty pumps. I guess I'm talking about a busy gas station.

Neither. I'll leave it by the pump, unless someone is waiting behind me.

How do you know someone's not going to pull up the moment you walk away?

I usually leave it at the pump only when I've paid at the pump & I'm filling the tank. While it fills (& I run her all the way down to "E") I'll duck inside. It usually times out perfectly.

I buy a lot of gasoline and it is always at stations with "Pay at the Pump". If I decide to go inside and purchase a soda or snack, I pump, then pull up to the store, as a courtesy to others.

With THIS exception. After I have finished pumping my gas and am ready to receive my receipt, the pump either doesn't print a receipt or tells me to "see cashier for receipt". At that point, I leave my vehicle there and go into the store for the receipt.

By the way, if this ever happens more than once at any station, they are off my list of places to purchase gasoline from! If the printer is broken, just put a sign on the pump to advise me of that and I can choose another pump or another station.

If the station is busy, I'll pull up after pumping and park if I need to go in.
(All pumps around here are self-service-pay, so there's no reason to go in unless you need something else.)
If it's a slow period and the other stalls are empty, I'll go ahead and leave the car at the pump while I go in.

The only time I park my truck at a gas pump is when I'm buying gas. Otherwise, I pull up to the regular parking. It's a shorter walk, and that's what matters! :D

(Usually, when I'm buying gas, that's all I'm buying because it's all I can afford at the time! :D )

I really thought about saying that I park away from the gas pumps and just string the hose over to my truck, because I have a bad habit of being a smart-pants at times.

Most stations close to me are full survice. I find that I seldom go into a gas station to buy snacks/ drinks anymore.

There are a couple that I go to on the weekends out of my home area. These are self serve and I do find myself running in since I am already out of the car. They also tend to have fully stocked 'general' stores. The full serve stations around home tend to be garages/gas.

I will park before running in in all but a few stations. I've found 2 or 3 that have a pump that still locks. I can start the pump a pumping and run in to get supplies while the car is filling. That is about the only time I leave the car at the pump and go in.

Considered bad form up here to move your car before you pay. Stopped using pay at the pump after the fraud guys at my bank strongly advised me not to.

Back
Top Bottom