Do you leave your car at the gas pump when you go into the store?

Do you leave your car at the gas pump when you go into the store?

• Why yes, I do.

Votes: 165 47.7%
  • No, I pump then park.

Votes: 137 39.6%
  • Neither, but let me explain.

Votes: 44 12.7%

• Total voters
I usually pump then park, unless the islands are mostly empty, or the one time the guy ahead of me didn't pull through when he arrived, forcing me to go around and back in to my pump.

Yes, waiting behind an empty vehicle can be irritating.

But what's even worse is watching people getting back into the driver's seat after starting the pump. The static electrical discharge when they return to remove the hose can set them, their vehicles and the pumps on fire.

When paying cash, I leave it while I pay. Moving it before paying just gets attendant nervous. Of course, I go in and pay and come right out and leave. No shopping or lottery tickets for me.

Gas pumps around here have signs against leaving the pump unattended while pumping. I don't know if it is illegal, but it sure seems like an unnecessary risk. Same thing with smoking while pumping. If I'm waiting behind you, while I appreciate your courtesy in trying to not waste my time, but I'd prefer your courtesy in not risking my life.

If I paid for the gas at the pump with my card, and if there looks like people are waiting to get spaces at the pumps, I will move my car. But if I'm paying inside, I always leave my vehicle at the pump. The clerks get ready to call the cops if a vehicle moves before the driver has paid -- they get too many drive-offs without paying! With the price of gas, some people who need it can't afford it and are tempted to steal it, and then people with weak morals are tempted to steal it simply because its something of great value you are supposed to load into a getaway car.

It's usually over 100 dollars to fill up my truck, so I figure I own that spot for as long as I need it.

Reminds me of the Hummer drivers who'd routinely take up both northbound lanes on Sepulveda Blvd in LA. I always assumed they were simply bad drivers but now I see they probably figured they'd paid so much for their vehicles that they owned the road as well.

Always park. Hate A**Holes who block me in while they go inside ... usually to buy a couple of lottery tickets, a pack of smokes, and a can of beer. (I keep an inventory of that stuff in the glove box; just kidding.)

Up here the cashiers will give you hell for moving your car before paying for the gas, But that's all I'll do. If I need more stuff I'll pay for the gas then go park the car and go back in.

I always pull up to an empty parking spot and then go in. Even if all the pump stations are empty. It is common curtesy to the next person who may be some little old great-great-great-great-great grannie. I think that staying at the pump is only a little less polite than parking in a handicap spot of an empty parking lot.

With my aging bladder issues I often have surprise attacks at the pump. Then I lock the car and go inside out of necessity, not to purposely pi$$ the next person off. :D Ya gotta do what you gotta do! But normally I pump, then park if I'm using the convenience store for other purchases.

The real question is... do you pull completely forward to the last pump on the island - in the direction you're going? If not, you should. Common sense rules with that one. People do a lot of bone-headed things at gas/convenience stores. :nono:

Down here there really isn't anywhere to park more than one or two cars away from the pumps at most servo's, so Pump > Shop > Pay for me.
But with the rip-off prices for goods in servo's It's more often Pump > Pay.

Depends. If I am going into the store at the gas station and there are no cars waiting for the pump, then yes I will leave it for a minute or two. However if I am going to go into JC Penney across the street and shop for an hour or so and there are two or three cars waiting for the pump, then I will give them all a dirty look, get in my car and reluctantly drive over to Penneys and park there instead..........

The last part is a joke of course just in case anyone thinks I was being serious.................

Oregon has no self serve gas. And almost all stations with a store connected require you to go into the store to pay for your fuel. So I'm not sure how to answer the poll.

Back
Top Bottom