Do you remember the first album you bought?

SeventyGTX

I am very recently getting back into my record collection of around 300 or so. I was sitting here thinking out of all those albums which one was the first one I actually bought myself. It was The Beatles "A Hard Day's Night" back when I was about 11 or 12 years old with money saved from mowing lawns. Still have it to this day. I just wish I had the 200 or so 8-tracks I tossed out, magically turned into vinyl.

I had about 10 records bought for me until I finally got one with my own money when I was 12. Freedom of Choice. Still got it, still love it.

The first album I had was the Grease soundtrack, I was 5. The first music I paid for myself was on cassette, Motley Crue - Theatre of Pain.

I just realized it has been nearly 50 years since I bought that Beatles album. Gawd, now I really feel old.......lol.

Memories are fuzzy, but I think my parents gave me a 45 of Walk Don't Run, I assume done by the Ventures. I had heard it on a visit to friends or relatives. It was popular when it came out in 1959 and I probably had it a year later, so maybe age 5 or so. No doubt I destroyed it on some rudimentary portable player.

First album I paid for myself...Peter Frampton "I'm In You". Coming off Frampton Comes Alive I figured it had to be good. Well, not so much. It didn't really keep his momentum going. But...It was my first.

Kiss by Kiss, the debut album with Strutter, Cold Gin... My neighbors father looked at it with a suspicious eye. He then asked to see it and read it front and back in detail. I figured he was looking for some reason to throw it out of his house. Luckily, he didn't find any...

A bunch of you have already heard the story of my first record so i won't tell it all again but my first record was

Test Patterns - St. Louis Punk/Ska/New Wave comp from the early 80s. Was actually my first album twice.

Jimi Hendrix "Cry of Love". A friends older brother told me that Jimi Hendrix was the best electric guitarist in the world. 30+ years later I still agree. :)

One of the first bands I got into as a 13 year old in 1981, was ELO, my sister had thier TIME album which I taped onto cassette, and Out of the Blue, so the first record I bought with my own money was ELO's Face the Music album, I picked that ELO record first because of the cover art. Little did I know then that the collection would grow 8000 times bigger eventually.

Did not buy but at 12 years old I entered a Duncan YoYo athon contest at a 7-11 store, YoYOed for 23 1/2 hours, I won second prize, I won my choice of a record album or 8-track. I chose a album and it was YES Relayer, well worth it. Thinking back maybe in 1975.

Last edited:
When I was about 11 or 12, I went with my mum to the shops with the intent on finding the Pink Floyd album that had the song with "Hey Teacher! Leave us kids alone!" on it. I didn't know it was called The Wall or the name of the song. K-Mart had about 4 or 5 Pink Floyd records in their bin, so after not finding any hints from the tracklistings I could see, I picked one at random. It was Dark Side of the Moon.

I was disappointed when I got home to discover the song I was looking for was not on the album, and it sounded kind of weird. That Christmas I gave it to my neighbour as a Christmas present. He mustn't have liked it either, as he gave it back to me for a Birthday present two years later. By the time I was 15, DSOTM started to make much more sense. :smoke:

Still have that album plus a few other copies to this day.

First LP was 'The Best of The Guess Who'

I don't have a working turntable at this time and I'm not sure if I want to buy a new one. Growing-up in the analog age and listening to 'snap, crackle and pop' for many years; it was some what amazing to hear a digital recording the first time many, many years ago. Maybe one of these days I'll have to take the B & O in for repairs and give the ol' records another chance...

Last edited:
I already had a lot of LP's given to me as a kid but the first one I dished
out some coin for was Wings>Band on the Run 1973.
Still have it and play it.

Im old so it's hard to remember!!
Im trying to think if I was buying 8 tracks before vinyl, Yes 8 tracks first. For my GE Loud Mouth Boom Box. With that in mind, remember in the back of mags? Get 11 albums for a penny, well I did. The only problem it was a contract to buy more at full price and I was only 14. I was in trouble my Dad wanted me to pack it all up so he could send it back so I did. But not without swapping out the music with blank tapes.
All the hard rock of the time Led Zeppelin song remains the same,Nuget free for all, Aerosmith toys,dream on,rocks, well you get it.

First vinyl I bought was either Thin Lizzy Jail brake or Aerowsmith double live.

I do remember blowing the speakers out in the Magnavox behind my Mom playing those albums. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

MOMSLIFEPHOTOS256.jpg

First one I got was Days Of future Passed by The Moody Blues, then I went and got it in Cassette as well as 8-track. When the CD came out I bought that as well. Still my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom