Do you remember the first album you bought?

I think when I was 15, one of my friend gave me a Paul Simon and GarFunkel's Kodachrome, and Rod Stewart's I am sailing for my birthday present.

I was allowed to pick out three albums one Christmas.

1. Beatles - Sgt. Pepper (Cool cover)
2. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (never heard any of the songs)
3. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (My brother had had it and I'd never heard it, but thought the lyrics were great)

I was 11 years old. Dark Side was just out.

First album: Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass -- Going Places (on open reel tape).

Second album: Cream -- Fresh Cream (also on open reel tape).

green-eggs-and-ham.png

I was just a youngster.

Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild". Played it on a GE 'Mustang' portable stereo with detachable speakers!

I think mine was Kiss Destroyer, in '76 I believe, when I was 7, then more Kiss, (then Rumours, as my mom wanted me to buy something she could listen to). I had a lot of 45s before that, most all of which I can't remember except the Rockford Files theme song and ELO Telephone Line (can't remember the B-side).

Last edited:
The Who: Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy. 1972. I was 10. "Magic Bus" is still one of the greatest tracks ever laid down.

I am a young gun, my first album was R.E.M Monster

R.E.M, must be one of those new tribute bands. :scratch2:

attachment.php

My own copy long gone. Everybody:

"America, where are you now?
Don't forget about your sons and daughters.
Don't you know we need you now?
We can't fight alone against The Monster"

Sounds just as fresh today cuz it never got any airplay. Heard title track on college station a few years ago, but that's the only time ever. Got it at a Woolworths while back-to-school shopping with me dear mum. :D

Attachments

• monster.jpg
    monster.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 41
Don't recall what grade I was in, but the teacher gave us a choice between a book or record report.

Still have it...

Joan Baez, 'Diamonds and Rust'

Story about the album. I heard the title cut on WJR radio in Detroit (music on AM radio, whodathunkit? :D) My Mom seemed to enjoy the title cut, and so did I. I remember saving up some change and she gave the rest so I could pick up a copy at Sears of all places. This was in 1975-1976. I was all of 8 years old.

Shortly before this, she taught me how to correctly use the Garrard record changer and how to correctly handle an LP. Because of this, this album is very playable and enjoyable to this day.

I was aghast at how people handled their records at a very early age! :D

First album I bought was Brand New-Devil and God are raging inside of me, and Elliott Smith-From a basement on a hill.

Last edited:
Rolling Stones- Through the Past Darkly

Didn't buy it, my older sister traded it in return for me washing the dishes one summer morning. She changed her mind and backed out after I was finished, but I convinced her to keep her end of the deal by banging on her door and eventually kicked a hole in the door. She blackmailed me for a few days, threatening to tell our parents, so I patched the hole and our parents didn't know about the hole until about 25 years later. I still have the album.

Back
Top Bottom