Do you use the volume of your amp or source?

I generally only use the volume control associated with the DAC itself if I do any digital volume control. Player volume gets set to 100%. I figure that's the least risky way to do it if you have to use volume on the digital side.

Depends on what I'm listening to. Vinyl, no choice--adjust at the preamp. Digital? If I'm busy working or doing other things, I'll set the volume on the preamp to a certain level and then use the remote (which is also available on smartphones or tablets) to control the volume level. If it's serious listening, the digital source goes to 100% (where all volume control processing is completely out of the circuit) and I control it with the preamp. Although, fat chance I'd hear a difference anyway, but it's what I do. ;)

I've got so many volume controls I barely know what to do.

PowerAmp from my tablet/media server, to...
DAC which offers straight pass, no volume there, to...
Little Dot Mk2. Almost maxed, but between 98-100% it cuts the left channel. To...
Inline standalone passive volume pot. I needed this because most of my rig is about 8' away from my listening position. To...
2x Dayton Audio APA-150 monoblocks, each with their own volume pot that doesn't exactly line up unless maxxed. To...
Dilvpoetry Tube-01 preamp. This controls the signal to my sub. I was going to get an active gain unit...but this does that and was $30 shipped. To...
QSC ISA280. This runs my sub, and I got lucky as it's bridged and only one volume pot is used at max.

Back
Top Bottom