Does an increase in groove noise mean a worn stylus?

ejman

I've recently noticed that my Shure M91 Ed with Jico stylus is sounding "noisier" in the groove like there is a lot more "grunge" in there. My records are clean and I don't see any accumulation of fuzz on the stylus. The stylus has I would guess about 700 hours or so on it. Is it done? Other than the "grunge sound" records sound great and there is no distortion or fuzzy sound at all. If anything it sounds even more detailed and brighter than I remember.

All records, or just some?

Line contacts have issues with running deeper. Maybe another M91 mounted the same with a elliptical will do the records that the SAS is dredging :yes:

I have a few Shures, I just swap in another when on runs in the wrong area. Used bodies are around. Styli are not that tough to come by. The SAS maybe best for LPs that you know it works well on :scratch2:

700 hours is about mid-life for that stylus :)

All records, or just some?

Line contacts have issues with running deeper. Maybe another M91 mounted the same with a elliptical will do the records that the SAS is dredging :yes:

I have a few Shures, I just swap in another when on runs in the wrong area. Used bodies are around. Styli are not that tough to come by. The SAS maybe best for LPs that you know it works well on :scratch2:

700 hours is about mid-life for that stylus :)

The three records I played tonight sound noisier. I tried my "el cheapo" EV stylus on the M91 ED and it actually sounds much quieter but of course I loose some of the soundstage and detail I get with the JICO SAS. The M91 ED is mounted on an Decca International tonearm on my Lenco. I took the records and played them on a Rega with a Shure M97 XE and they sounded much quieter (and damn good actually) So I'm thinking the Jico is doing something. If it's worn I'm puzzled that the highs still sound clean as whistle with no distortion.

You know, I have noticed that as well. I have two 91's and a conical and a SAS that I rotate out. Older records seem to do well with the conical, but newer ones do better with the SAS. I still have the original L75 arm though and I am replacing it with a Linn this weekend. I'll let you know if that changes anything for me. I love my SAS, but some records are just not made for it.

Did you clean the stylus?

I find that stylii that look clean often have a fair amount of crap stuck to them. I have a discwasher set with a styus brush and fluid that does a much better job than the Magic Eraser.

Good luck.

Eric

I find that stylii that look clean often have a fair amount of crap stuck to them. I have a discwasher set with a styus brush and fluid that does a much better job than the Magic Eraser.

Good luck.

Eric

+1

I was using a Magic Eraser and the stylus "looked" clean but sounded noisy. Bought an Onzow Zerodust and one dip later, a gunk of crap came off that wouldn't come off with the ME. All of the noise disappeared as well. FWIW, I believe that JohnVF had the same experience.

YMMV

Good luck.

Eric
Yes, I use the Last stylus cleaner and stylast before every play.

+1

I was using a Magic Eraser and the stylus "looked" clean but sounded noisy. Bought an Onzow Zerodust and one dip later, a gunk of crap came off that wouldn't come off with the ME. All of the noise disappeared as well. FWIW, I believe that JohnVF had the same experience.

YMMV

+2

The Magic Eraser alone is not the best way to clean a SAS IMHO.

My experience is:

1. Never play the SAS on a record that has not been washed and vacuumed.
2. Never play it immediately after using any kind of Discwasher type solution, even homebrews, - the SAS will surely dredge up any damp gunk in the grooves.
3. The ME can often push dirt up the sytlus and onto the cantilever, making a spot for gunk to accumulate. Even small amounts will affect the sound.
4. When I periodiicaly use the ME it is always followed by the old DiscWasher Stylus brush, this one is stiffer than the Goovy brush and it works well.
5. Normal maintenance for me is 2 or 3 gentle forward swipes with the Discwasher stylus brush before every needle drop.

Some lessons learned here. No solutions and no dirty records ever see the SAS.

The LAST system you are using should be a good one too. Maybe it is the records themselves, do you have any that sound better?

cheers, Bob

Back
Top Bottom