Does anyone offer?

sfox52

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I would like to find a ten inch cork or similar mat for my small platter Dual 1009 turntable, in 3 mm ( or close) thickness. I've looked on the auction site, 12 inchers are easy to find, but smaller? Any ideas?

Use your TT platter like a lathe.

Yup ... put a piece of cardboard on the platter to protect the table, slap on the cork, put the old mat on top of that to hold it in place and give you a reference line. A few easy light passes with a razor blade around the edge should give you a smooth clean cut.

One hitch is the existing mat is bonded to the platter- can't use it for a pattern. I plan on using the cork over the original in order to adjust the VTA since the old Dual was a changer in it's first life. I may try one of the 12 inch ones without trimming it- the overhang won't be more than 3/4 inch anyway. I will check the local Lowes for the drywall cutter and I'll look at the planter mats and cork sheets while I'm there.

If you make your own mat and the edges are rough, don't be afraid to smooth them up with some sandpaper. The cork I used to make the mat for my old Gemini DJ table wanted to crumble no matter how I tried to cut it.

One hitch is the existing mat is bonded to the platter- can't use it for a pattern. I plan on using the cork over the original in order to adjust the VTA since the old Dual was a changer in it's first life. I may try one of the 12 inch ones without trimming it- the overhang won't be more than 3/4 inch anyway. I will check the local Lowes for the drywall cutter and I'll look at the planter mats and cork sheets while I'm there.
To get a better VTA angle, you could always shim the cartridge instead. That way, the table would still look all original.

Back
Top Bottom