Does cheap vodka give a headache?

tnmike1

AK Member
I've tried Pinnacle, smirnof, Svedka and a few others and get a headache next day and this after only two vodka tonics. But nothing with Stoli Russian Standard or Titos. So wondering if it's my imagination or do better vodkas not have after effects

My GF has always asserted that cheap vodka gives her a headache even if she only has one drink. She likes Grey Goose which is pricey. Luckily, it's frequently on sale at the NH State Liquor Store.

-Dave

Good vodka drink only with vodka MAYBE ice cube for me! ; - )
Sugar and all other garbage what give head ache
I know you say vodka tonic but tonic water has quinine is poison to some people have head ache and everything else
Quinine toxic! Bad for some people! ; - (
Also I never find real tonic water any more always add things to it like SUGAR for some brand!
; - (
Drink liquor and whiskey by itself if have to kill flavor with mixer then drink beer or wine or something you like flavor of
If have to flavor alcohol mean you not like taste and that ok too! ; - )
But waste of money same like menthol cigarette or flavor cigar
Stolichnaya in freezer all you need
JJ

Last edited:
Stoli has had a spot in my liquor cabinet since the early `70s (still does), along with Chopin and Belvidere....over-rated (IMHO), are Absolut, Grey Goose, and Ciroc. Drank Smirnoff when I was about 17 and didn`t know any better. Tried Svedka (for mixed drinks) a few years back, got "The Headache Effect", as many of you have revealed....

Stoli has had a spot in my liquor cabinet since the early `70s (still does), along with Chopin and Belvidere....over-rated (IMHO), are Absolut, Grey Goose, and Ciroc. Drank Smirnoff when I was about 17 and didn`t know any better. Tried Svedka (for mixed drinks) a few years back, got "The Headache Effect", as many of you have revealed....

If you haven't tried Tito's you should. To me it is a top shelf product at middle shelf price.

Costco also has giant bottles of their own label which is excellent somehow. They sell two types I think, I've tried both and the more expensive one is much much better especially for drinking straight. I'd imagine the cheaper one would be a great mixer.

These 2 bottles are highly recommended.

26814853011_cff2c40a74_b.jpg

Good vodka drink only with vodka MAYBE ice cube for me! ; - )
Sugar and all other garbage what give head ache
I know you say vodka tonic but tonic water has quinine is poison to some people have head ache and everything else
Quinine toxic! Bad for some people! ; - (
Also I never find real tonic water any more always add things to it like SUGAR for some brand!
; - (
Drink liquor and whiskey by itself if have to kill flavor with mixer then drink beer or wine or something you like flavor of
If have to flavor alcohol mean you not like taste and that ok too! ; - )
But waste of money same like menthol cigarette or flavor cigar
Stolichnaya in freezer all you need
JJ

My favorite tonic is Q tonic. Pricey but doesn't have all the additives of Schweppes, Canada Dry and that ilk. All natural ingredients. I wonder too if these vodkas are wheat based could the headaches be related was gluten reaction. I know Titos claims to be gluten free. May be time to switch or to a decent potato vodka.

Last edited:
My favorite tonic is Q tonic. Pricey but doesn't have all the additives of Schweppes, Canada Dry and that ilk. All natural ingredients. I wonder too if these vodkas are wheat based could the headaches be related was gluten reaction. I know Titos claims to be gluten free. May be time to switch or to a decent potato vodka.
Q Tonic is quinine uses agave too ; - (
MOST people will not like real tonic water too bitter
People consume gluten for thousands years not even know it until someone tell them it bad to raise price on every day staple maybe allergic maybe not I will not argue with that one
BUT ingredient for whiskey and vodka have gluten but gluten GONE after distillation all marketing scam cash in on trend
JJ

Usually keep Absolut (agree it's a bit over-rated though) or Tito's around for mixed (vodka) drinks.

For drinking straight,usually it's Stolichnaya elit which is a top shelf vodka,though it can be kinda hard to find @ times too.

JM2¢ ~ FWIW

Bret P.

Usually keep Absolut (agree it's a bit over-rated though) or Tito's around for mixed (vodka) drinks.

For drinking straight,usually it's Stolichnaya elit which is a top shelf vodka,though it can be kinda hard to find @ times too.

JM2¢ ~ FWIW

Bret P.
Life simple before Madison Avenue get in on act only one Stolichnaya
About head aches I learn hard way maybe not head ache but definitely sick not happy cold winter night after maybe one shot too much in car with heater that work REALLY well blowing on high the Smirnoff AFTER TASTE is what kill me
Always have but when over do it?
Terrible! ; - (
Hard believe that Smirnoff king in Moscow before revolution ; - (
I think maybe when bring to United States they change it?
Now with Smirnoff only way I can drink is screw driver! ; - (
I do break own straight only rule I forget about orange juice that is nice one way to go sometimes like for breakfast! ; - )
JJ

One more thought.... Been reading the headaches may come from wheat based vodka. What about potato based or rye vodka? Some reasonably priced bottles in this category

I love discussion when discussion is why I feel bad after deliberate ingest poison! ; - )
I NOT lecture I used to drink too and big fan STILL MISS IT! ; - )
But probably help give me the stroke other issues too! ;- (
JJ

Back
Top Bottom