Dolby Atmos - Thoughts . . .

I asked the V.P of engineering at Mac why they didn't put out anything bigger than A Mc207 amp out.He said we could but our amps are way over built and if you really pushed it could have trouble.

The industrial ones like his Mc2600 is on of the best. It weighs 130 lbs.We have A theater at McIntosh that pushes over 7000 watts.Almost A Million Dollar system...

I wonder if I can plug the 7000 watt amp into the end of my Christmas tree light extension cord LOL

There are A set of Mc2KW, tri channel 2,000 watt stacks on all 3 front speakers A bunch of our 1.25Kw amps driving the side rear and Atmos speakers. Just A wall of Blue Meters in the back. Come out and take the tour of the plant and you get to listen to the system...

I addressed the use of tube amplifiers for home theater and was told to forget about it. Way to much distortion and heat. Not to mention the inability to deal with impedance variations. On the other hand for 2 channel they seam to excel. The triode tubes have a tendency to cancel distortions by design. I think it is 2nd harmonics. Not sure I am a solid state guy. Always always always trust your ears. NOT the reviews or some one else's opinion. Most of the 2 channel audiophiles swear by Macintosh amps.
I trust the opinion of Wendy Carlos, one of the most accurate composers and electronic experts alive today. She states tubes are full of distortion. Enough said for me. As a Genius I think the debate is mute. Just listen to the well tempered synthesizer and
you will know what I am talking about. Truly a very sharp mind.

I addressed the use of tube amplifiers for home theater and was told to forget about it. Way to much distortion and heat. Not to mention the inability to deal with impedance variations. On the other hand for 2 channel they seam to excel. The triode tubes have a tendency to cancel distortions by design. I think it is 2nd harmonics. Not sure I am a solid state guy. Always always always trust your ears. NOT the reviews or some one else's opinion. Most of the 2 channel audiophiles swear by Macintosh amps.
I trust the opinion of Wendy Carlos, one of the most accurate composers and electronic experts alive today. She states tubes are full of distortion. Enough said for me. As a Genius I think the debate is mute. Just listen to the well tempered synthesizer and
you will know what I am talking about. Truly a very sharp mind.
I use Mc amps (MC2600s) for both my 2ch mains and my front L&R (via PassThru of my C200). I've been using Mc amps in HT applications since '94 (MC2200 & MC2300). The problem with tube amps for HT isn't the distortion or the heat, it's the lack of power available to reproduce the dynamics. If you're listening at 1W on average, and a gun-shot requires +30dB to reproduce it, you'd better have some big amps. Gunshots on my system are deafening - and I do mean that literally. I'm scrambling to turn down the volume during such scenes.

Wendy Carlos, huh? I've got Switched on Bach on a CBS Half Speed Master as well as 7ips Reel to Reel! I should listen to that tonight - good call. The entire 2nd side of that album is just insane . . . the first side just gets you warmed up.

Ready Player One ...

Well done indeed!

Just watched Ready Player One with my kids and it was quite well done. Couldn't be happier with my setup right now. Movie night at my house is a whole lot more enjoyable since I completed my system and put the new 4k tv in.

After all, this is the guy that once had 1.2 KW of power on his stereo.

Well Tim, that maybe so for the damacman`s stereo, but my bedroom`s stereo system utilizes 2 Mac MC 1201`s for the Mac XRT 18`s speaker`s in there, with 2 Velodyne ULD 15 subs powered individually by their own 400 watt RMS servo integral power amps, and that system with a Yamaha dual 31 band equalizers carefully adjusted/room tuned to just below 2 DB flatness, with the final sub woofer`s level tweaked to my ear/tastes with the resultant SQ being quite satisfying for pre-coffee morning music wakeup, especially when a desired playing ripped tune presents it`s self (that would be 2,400 watts for the Mac`s & 800 for the subs for a insane total available power of 3,200 watts RMS) in a 20X20` sized room.

All stereo equipment in my bedroom is power fed via dedicated 10 gage 20 amp circuit, so very little voltage sag during realistic playing SPLs..

I apologize if I thread crapped, but I really like that system.

Carry on.

Concerning tube amps for HT:
I find my (4) Mac MC 275VI`s mono`d for the mid and high frequency tri-amplified Mac XRT 30`s main L/R fronts in my A/V HT to have no problem delivering un-clipped very HQ audio during any BR/DVD movie ever played here through my system, even my nearly 60 year old electronically restored by me, MC 60 "tuber" doing center channel duty driving a timbre matching center channel Mac XR 27 speaker hasn`t been heard to clip yet..

Now, waste heat is an issue, especially during the summer while watching a movie here in NE. FL. !!

My HVAC set @ 75` cycles very frequently during and for some time after the system is powered down !!
Around 13 amps @ 120volts current drawn for just the (4) MC 275VI`s, MC 60 and 120" screen projected Sony Theater grade 4K projector, and some low level A/V equipment (OPPO UDP-203, etc.)

80 Hz and below are well handled very well via (2) MC 1201`s power wired for 240 volts via a 30 amp 10 gage dedicated circuit.

But those Mac MC 275VI tube amps sound so smooth, whether pressed in to tri-amp service for straight 2 channel music listening, or same in HT L/R front duty..

My Integra DHC 40.2 can do some level of Atmos, as I seem to remember, but I`m uninterested in pursuing, as the Mac XRT-30`s have such a very good sound stage in conjunction with (8) RS Minimus 7`s (2) per channel vertically stacked and ~ 30 degree splayed for L/R side & rears, for very realistic surround effect after tuning/voicing via the Integra..

No more HT amps/speakers needed, nor desired for this old fart !!

@Bill Ferris - That's one hell of a bedroom setup, sir!!

No replacement for displacement, I always heard. Rock on.

Thank you Sir. for the kind compliments on the over my top BR system..

I like it so much, that as bazaar as it might sound... I have found my brushing my teeth more enjoyable/beneficial by doing it by flopping on the foot of my waterbed facing the speakers and laying back brushing in that position rather than standing in the master bathroom doing the same..
Not only does doing so encourage me to brush longer, but the BR`s system`s power available easily over whelms the noise of my electric toothbrush whilst doing so, and is very enjoyable morning pre coffee wakeup experience to boot !!

Hey !! I implied to anybody that I was normal(whatever that is !?!?) HA !!

Take care my AK friend, and have a great weekend Tim.

Most kind regards, Billy Ferris

can someone explain in simple terms this new atmos format?
what makes it "great" verse what makes it "bad"? an the point of it. i've only heard of atmos bout 4 months ago but never heard it in person.

what makes it "great" verse what makes it "bad"? an the point of it. i've only heard of atmos bout 4 months ago but never heard it in person.
While not being an expert or having my own atmos setup, this is what I know explained as simple as possible... as with dolby digital (5.1, 7.1 etc.) Dolby Atmos adds more speakers for height (either upward firing or preferrably actual ceiling mounted) as well as processing for sounds to actually come from points in space making the sound immersion even more realistic. That's my two cents worth of knowledge on the subject. Hope it helps and I'm not too far off.

I'll try to make it simple. To make you feel like you're in the movie, sounds comes at you from direction it would if you were actually there. So noises above you, like rain come from the overhead speakers. It's pretty wild. If you have a plane flying at you from forward left and it flys over you and behind you then that's how the sound travels across the speakers.

You need an atmos enabled receiver and speakers configured as called for THEN movies with the Atmos label.

Back
Top Bottom