Domus Module from St. Paul MN

PJ62

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Google turned up nothing, I mostly got hits on Sonus Faber Domus speakers.
One inch metal mesh covered tweeter, 4.5" driver w/rubber surrounds. Fairly well made veneer/particle board cabinet. Anyone from Minnesota familiar with these little guys? Pete
Domus2a.JPG Domus1a.JPG

That's pretty neat! What can you tell abou them, or Domus for that matter? Do you know dates of maufacture, or what the drivers are? They seem to be well engineered.
Thanks for any info...Pete

Domus yes, Sonus Faber no.

Uncle Don, thats cool Wilke87! I have a pair of these and I haven't gotten around to listening to them yet. Don did some nice work with the DLK and Domus line. They might sound pretty darn good. You will have to let us know.

RC

The Domus were made around the early 80s these were one of the last speakers manufactured by Don before closing that particular speaker shop.Now ,I am still trying to get info on this speaker myself .From what I know these would be similar to the dlk 1/4 speaker.Most of the speakers were quality build along with the cabinets.Are you familiar with DLk ? The dlk speaker line or name ended when Shaak electronics went bankrupt and then my uncle manufacturer of there speakers was sued over naming rights ,He lost and manufactured speakers under several other names.

Hey Wilke87, Would you happen to have any info on the Domus Omni loudspeaker? It was a very short run high end speaker for the Domus line.

Back to the original subject. How is the Vinyl on yours PJ62? Mine are intact but the vinyl is breaking down and getting sticky.

RC

I do not have much info on the domus line ,however my aunt now lives in town here and I have been talking to her and been meaning to get more history on this speaker line.I recently spoke to Mark at audio perfection and he mentioned that some of the domus line was very nice stuff.which models do you have ,Oh and where abouts are you in mapleweird

I only have a couple pair of bombed out DLK 1 1/2's and the little ones. The Domus Omni's are owned by a aquaintance . Big, heavy with a down firing woofer and a pair of mids and a tweeter firing upward. Kind of a strange set up but dang they sound good.

I live in So. Maplewood, close to Woodbury

RC

Those are the top dogs I think, I would love to here em.Just emailed my aunt between post and asked if she could give us any information on the domus line , we will have to wait and see what she says.

The pair I just got are well used, but not terribly beat up. The bottoms are scratched pretty well, but the drivers look good, the grills and cloth are good, the badges are good, labels on the back are good. I am intrigued by the tweeters, would you happen to know what those are? I will hook these up to my old Yamaha this weekend and let you know what happens. Pete

I can't help you on the tweeters, take them out and look, some of his speakers had matsushita tweeters. Most of the design work Don did was on the crossovers and the woofers,he has since past away and his latest company was building and designing crossovers for many of the high end speaker companys.I have not heard any of the domus line but would think there decent.

PJ62 said:
The pair I just got are well used, but not terribly beat up. The bottoms are scratched pretty well, but the drivers look good, the grills and cloth are good, the badges are good, labels on the back are good. I am intrigued by the tweeters, would you happen to know what those are? I will hook these up to my old Yamaha this weekend and let you know what happens. Pete

I know the thread is old -- but I just wanted to add that I have a pair of Omega speakers that are identical to the ones you have here. Omega was a budget line that Schaak sold. The tweeter is a Motorola tweeter and if you look inside I bet you will find no cross-over caps for it. This tweeter is also in a pair of big Soundmates I have. All DLK designed.

dew.

That's pretty cool. I've heard of these speakers before but had forgot they were made in minnesota. I talked to my brother in law last night and said he finally picked up a receiver and some speakers a neighbor was giving away. A set of Omega's and a technics sa-500. I'm not sure what model number they are but said the surrounds were rotted out. Otherwise it sounds like they are in decent shape. Nothing better than free audio!:banana:

These were made by my uncle, Don Kliewer maker of the DLK speaker line.
Hello I just acquired a pair of Domus One speakers. Did you ever find out any info on the product line? The speakers work PERFECTLY. They sound Amazing with Herbie Hancock's Manchild Lp. The ONLY problem is there is some AIR ESCAPING in one of the speakers causing a slight vibration at 50w. I am not sure where the air is coming from I would have to spend time with them to find out. Other than that they are in MINT condition. Looks like an 8 and a 6 and a tweet in there. Very vintage but even the covers are in tact and just that they have been glued on but will probably get the round velcros and get it on velcro rather than the glue they did to make them stay on lol. They are a deep walnut finish and Very Heavy.

DSCF5374.JPG DSCF5370.JPG

Hello I just acquired a pair of Domus One speakers. Did you ever find out any info on the product line? The speakers work PERFECTLY. They sound Amazing with Herbie Hancock's Manchild Lp. The ONLY problem is there is some AIR ESCAPING in one of the speakers causing a slight vibration at 50w. I am not sure where the air is coming from I would have to spend time with them to find out. Other than that they are in MINT condition. Looks like an 8 and a 6 and a tweet in there. Very vintage but even the covers are in tact and just that they have been glued on but will probably get the round velcros and get it on velcro rather than the glue they did to make them stay on lol. They are a deep walnut finish and Very Heavy. I also may end up selling them as is.
As a person who sold audio go almost 40 year in the twin cities,thevSchaak electronics time in the cities was a very strange time. Not only was the Team , But a nest place called Delmonico discount house of stereo,midwest Audio,allied radio. Audio warehouse, ,Minnesota was known for high tech people ,computer company ,bio medical ,and a bunch of defense contractors. As the 80 wore on ,all the company went bankrupt any Domust made in the state of Minnesota were made in the same building as DLK. The address on the paperwork is the same. But the domus are a very stripped down version of Don. The two models I found ,Doumus 2,a two woofer I 2x7 horn unit. ,just a cap for crossover. The woofer are a DLK derivative. Model is dlk1032. Horn is a cheap piezo tweeter that is still avaible today. .the cabinets are nowhere near as heavy as the blk1.5 whic these are many to mimic. When I call midwe st speaker in Roseville MN ,probably the most knowlageble in the USA on DLK ,domus,omega that came out of the summit ave address ,told me that there were imported by by who ever owned the production facilities,after the lawsuit started ,most folks had no idea. But it comes down to the DLK brand was the top. Domus was a nice super store style and had very decent sound for the striped down way that were produced. (i am still playing with the dual woofer model to put some quality drivers in the cavbinets) it still comes down to choose and what parts can be found

I just was rereading a post i made 3years ago right after shoulder surgery. Boy can I tell my pain meds were afecting me. No on to the two's from Domus. I gave had the woofer refoamed by Hempopotamus in Ohio. Replaced the peizo tweets. I Am just setting up to rewire the units, the intieor wire was very stiff and brittle. Over all, a very solid build fir an entry level speaker ,as the sales people at schaak called them. Sorry for the horrible writting on my previous posting.

Getting a job at DLK was a dream of mine back in '75 when I was 14. I always wondered what happened to them. Thanks !
The Domus were made around the early 80s these were one of the last speakers manufactured by Don before closing that particular speaker shop.Now ,I am still trying to get info on this speaker myself .From what I know these would be similar to the dlk 1/4 speaker.Most of the speakers were quality build along with the cabinets.Are you familiar with DLk ? The dlk speaker line or name ended when Shaak electronics went bankrupt and then my uncle manufacturer of there speakers was sued over naming rights ,He lost and manufactured speakers under several other namecanceled.

Well to bring this up again I just came across some Domus 2 and they sound excellent, great build and sound. So cheers to your uncle Don !

Getting a job at DLK was a dream of mine back in '75 when I was 14. I always wondered what happened to them. Thanks !
FYI, if you are on facebook. There is a group "DLK Speaker Fans" that has several employee's and Don's daughter just reached out to the group.

Back
Top Bottom