Dragonfly Red vs. Schiit stack?

AdlerW

I use the Dragonfly Red, and I love it, but the main downside for me is that it doesn't have a volume knob. I have to adjust the volume with my Mac keyboard, which requires pressing three buttons at once to adjust volume at smaller intervals. I find the whole thing annoying, and a part of me would like to switch to something with a volume knob.

The Schiit Modi/Magni combo costs the same, and I'm wondering how it compares sonically. Is there anyone here who's had both? I use Sennheiser HD 598s, so I don't require a lot of output power.

I use the Dragonfly Red, and I love it, but the main downside for me is that it doesn't have a volume knob. I have to adjust the volume with my Mac keyboard, which requires pressing three buttons at once to adjust volume at smaller intervals. I find the whole thing annoying, and a part of me would like to switch to something with a volume knob.

The Schiit Modi/Magni combo costs the same, and I'm wondering how it compares sonically. Is there anyone here who's had both? I use Sennheiser HD 598s, so I don't require a lot of output power.
Check out head-fi.org.

Okay, thanks. I did search there and found one person who tried them both comment on them not being too different. As long as they are not too different, I probably won't mind switching.

Ultimately I'd love to have Chord Mojo, but I can't afford it on my own right now.

I’d wager that a Bifrost multibit would outperform the mojo...I’ve been using a modi Uber, SYS and Eitr for. While and it sounds very good in comparison to the other mid and high end dacs I’ve owned. Just upgraded to an Yggdrasil which obviously is a significant step forward. I had a bimby last year and should never have sold it...

Don, how do you like the Yaggy? Been thinking about a Multibit here lately Al
Hey Al, this is my second one, first was a gen 3 usb that I sold a while back and have since been using the modi Uber. Since installing the MC452 my system has improved dramatically so I felt it was time to add a comparable digital front end to feed my Marantz 7c that is being restored currently. I’ve had the current yggy (2016 model, with gen 5 usb) installed now since Wednesday am so not quite a week yet, constantly powered on so I’m pretty sure it’s close to optimal operating conditions and it sounds excellent. Tons of detail, great soundstage, imaging on the 4435’s is fantastic, loads of tight, bass slam with accurate attack and decay. Overall I’m very impressed. Been listing to all kinds of music from electronic, blues, jazz, folk and I’m discovering some subtle and not so subtle new found elements to recordings I’m very very familiar with. I am very excited to install the 7c in the chain to impart a little tube goodness to the equation...

Have you considered a CEntrance Dacport Slim? Compact form factor, class-A headphone amp, physical volume control, gain switch, sounds great.

Ultimately I'd love to have Chord Mojo, but I can't afford it on my own right now.

I’ve owned both the Modi and Modi Uber, but not the multibit. I’ve also owned every iteration of the Bifrost and currently have the Bifrost Multibit in a 2nd system.

I also use a Chord Mojo in office headphone rig. Long story short, the Mojo is shockingly good. I love Schiit gear for its value. But the Chord is next level.

I’ve seen several go for under $400 used... even under $350. I would save up the extra scrilla and pop for the Chord. The bonus of portability is great as well and I love mine when I travel. I use it with OPPO PM-3’s, 1More Quad Drivers, and Nobel x Massdrop IEMs and it works with Aplomb with all of them.

In summery the Mojo is just more natural sounding and musical and easy to listen to than any other setup I have had.

- Woody

Thanks. I may wait until I can afford the Mojo then.

Either way, I really do love the Dragonfly. I'm listening to it now and it's crazy how good it sounds considering it's only a USB stick. But when I upgrade I want the change to be noticeable, so the Mojo sounds like a good upgrade option.

Back
Top Bottom