DTS vs DOLBY DIGITAL

91firebird

well after running my 5.1 system for about a week and putting in a new pioneer center speaker,used
The xfiles fight the future,mad max fury road,San Andreas,oblivion.i can say that the dts movies have
Better audio to my ears.putting in the new pioneer center also helped.but also added a new pioneer subwoofer.boy it is amazing how good center channel speaker helps.movies are much better with a
Good audio system.mad max fury road is amazing.well I guess atmos is next.one is that it never ends
With audio,it just goes on and on never ending always getting better.well next for me will be a new denon
Pioneer or Yamaha av reciever.but my kenwood really works well any one running a atmos system?

I quit chasing that carrot a long time ago.

I'm still eating the same carrots I picked in 2001. DD 5.1, DTS 5.1 or Dolby pro-logic, which ever way it was recorded. Still the same great sound. WAY better than stereo for movies and a must for music video's. I have no wish for fresh carrots. I keep them in the freezer.

Some of programs I watch however we recoded in stereo. Those sound best with stereo speakers placed close to the screen, in 3.1 channel stereo with a HT system, or with the AVR's matrix SS mode "TV logic".

I don't know if atmos Is much better than DD ot DTS. If I buy a second AVR for my rec room it will likely have it, Considering the ones with decent SQ are expensive enough. If I need different speakers to use it, Then it will never get used here.

Last edited:
Some movies have the choice of DTS or DD tracks. I find the DTS tracks usually seem heavier-handed on the mix for bass and effects.

By default my next processor all but certainly will have ATMOS, and my guess is I'll like it better than plain old DD or DTS.

I always preferred DTS over Dolby Digital.

This Atmos stuff is interesting, but I too have gotten off that train. It just never ends, and I don't care for a huge percentage of the movies Hollyweird have put out of late. Its as if the writing of a great script is some arcane, forbidden knowledge, and special effects can fix anything. Sorry, but I grow so tired of the superhero/green screen pabulum that passes as "good" cinema.

When I see another movie as fulfilling and as enjoyable as say, Forrest Gump, then I might be motivated to purchase a new format such as Dolby Atmos.

I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I don't need to be fulfilled by Hollywood; simply entertained is fine for me. Heck, even distracted for a couple hours is good in some cases. Anything more is just icing on the cake.

Maybe it's just that I am getting older, and hopefully wiser, about what I really need. After retiring I just don't have the funds or interest to keep up with the latest. We moved a couple of years ago to a much smaller place. When I made that move I did not setup the 5.1 system I had at the house but rather went 2.1 using a pair of Polk SDA 2b's and a Velodyne sub. It sounds great with movies and music. Trying to keep up with all the latest trends and having to replace equipment for every "advancement" in technology just becomes impossibly expensive and time consuming. 8k > 4> 1080P > 1080i... atmos > DTS or 9.1 or 7.1 0r 5.1 or stereo and on and on and on.

Maybe I'm not getting older and wiser but just becoming a Grumpy old Man! (Sorry Grumpy)

I love how this forum is full of luddites. But I'm a early 30's luddite, and I've also got no desire to go 4k or atmos at the moment. Before atmos, AVRs were offering simulated height channels for years.

I just have to chuckle. Atmos is a game changer. It is the first of the object based formats. If the sound engineers have the talent to put a tennis ball two inches from your face, they can do it. This has never before been possible.

Get yourself to a high end shop that has a correctly calibrated Atmos equipped theater and see for yourself. The only drawback I see to the format is that it hasn't been more quickly embraced by producers so titles are slow to come out.

I attended the opening of the very first IMAX film - To Fly - at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum as a kid. It was jaw dropping. Some people actually had to leave the theater from motion sickness. Atmos has the same kind of potential for those of us that don't have 30ft tall screens.

Before jumping off the surround sound bandwagon, I generally found DTS mixes to be louder and fuller sounding than DD mixes. My receiver (a cheap Pioneer AVR) would run out of juice more easily with DTS while DD tended to have a more compressed sound to it.

But, I don't think it's that simple. Pretty sure the mix itself determines the sound more than the format.

I would totally agree. When I saw Deep Water Horizon at the theater, I was like this is the best audio system I have ever heard. I literally thought that the theater was falling down on me and actually jumped a couple of times. I was unaware that this was an Atmos theater. After the movie ended. I went to the manager and told him it was one of the best audio experiences I have ever had. He said thanks, and then proceeded to tell me that they just put in a new audio system into that theater and that it was a Dolby Atmos system. Now they have a big sign that says Dolby Atmos. But if I had a dedicated theater area to put in that kind of system, I would do it in a heartbeat. Now of course plain old 5.1 DTS and Dolby Digital sound great still and upping it to DTS Master Audio gets even better, and I am just fine listening to that but I would do Atmos if I could.

While I'm certain that this is amazing tech, and sure to excite the senses, SWMBO will likely not go along with it, so I don't see this being a "game-changer" for most folk.

Realize, I'm the kind of guy that at one time had 4 10'' subs behind his couch.

I would totally agree. When I saw Deep Water Horizon at the theater, I was like this is the best audio system I have ever heard. I literally thought that the theater was falling down on me and actually jumped a couple of times. I was unaware that this was an Atmos theater. After the movie ended. I went to the manager and told him it was one of the best audio experiences I have ever had. He said thanks, and then proceeded to tell me that they just put in a new audio system into that theater and that it was a Dolby Atmos system. Now they have a big sign that says Dolby Atmos. But if I had a dedicated theater area to put in that kind of system, I would do it in a heartbeat. Now of course plain old 5.1 DTS and Dolby Digital sound great still and upping it to DTS Master Audio gets even better, and I am just fine listening to that but I would do Atmos if I could.
You get it. Atmos is the shit!

I did upgrade to Oppo's BDP-103D for Christmas, and I do tend to select
DTS whenever a film give me the option ...

While I probably have speakers I could point skyward and bounce off the ceiling,
I am not buying a new pre/processor anytime soon -
our Integra DTC 9.8 is "ancient", but it works like a champ, and the room is set to play 7.1 just fine!

And OMG - looks Like Atmos wants a 9 or 11ch system (either 2 or 4 ceiling drivers)

But - Atmos is so LAST YEAR compared to the new DTS:X 3D sound!! ;)

http://dts.com/dtsx

Last edited:
The same tune was often sung when they came out with surround sound: "Who would ever need or want more than TWO speakers? FIVE?!?!? Are you crazy?!?!?"

And then Blose alone sold a zillion 5 channel systems.

Back
Top Bottom