Dts-x vs atmos

91firebird

Well being a movie sound nut and having a nice denon av reciever,I really liked atmos but now that I have
Dts-x based movies,I must say i like the dtsx over atmos.i think it has better front high speaker sound and
Better over all from front to rear sound all around sound.atmos is great but I give the edge to dtsx.and there
Is a great number of movies with the dtsx sound.well all you sound nuts what are your feelings on the
On atmos or dtsx matter

I always found that DTS sounded better ever since the very first encoding of the Dolby Digital vs DTS wars started. DTS always sounded uncompressed where as Dolby always sounded a bit rolled off and constrained , DTS X sounds much better than Dolby Atmos imo.

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
....Well all you sound nuts what are your feelings on the
On atmos or dtsx matter?
I do not yet have any movie that has both Dolby ATMOS and dts:X, so, I have not been able to do a direct comparison. It seems that the optimum height channels speaker placement is different for the two formats which could make a difference in one's format preference, depending on which format one's room is set up for. Which format are you optimally set up for?

I believe that both formats are lossless and both formats are object-based, so, the sound quality should be capable of being equally good with both formats. My setup is optimized for Dolby ATMOS. I have played different movies that use either Dolby Atmos or dts:X formats and they both have sounded good. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing if the dts:X encoded movies would sound substantially better if the speakers were optimized for dts:X.

As for music, the only discs I have on either format are Dolby ATMOS encoded. I have not yet seen or heard any dts:X music discs. The other format that I have not heard is Auro-3D. It seems that there may be more music discs in the Auro-3D format than Dolby ATMOS. I do have a couple of music discs that are Auro-3D encoded, however; I do not presently have the decoder capability. Have you heard Auro-3D music? If so, what is your impression?

Last edited:
No dts:X compatibility here, but I've often wondered about it. To date, I've never heard a demo. Atmos has blown me away, so if dts:X is better, that's saying something.

No Auro-3D compatibility here either . . .

Until I grow additional ears on top of my head and under my chin I'll pass on Atmos. Its bad enough trying to control standing waves with speakers pointed horizontally into a space and now they want to add ceiling speakers facing directly at the floor!. Give me a break! Rear speakers and side speakers compromise the front sound as is, So why do we need more compromises?

Until I grow additional ears on top of my head and under my chin I'll pass on Atmos.
Fortunately, standard issue human ears do not need additional ears on the top of the head to hear height information. Only two ears needed.

Its bad enough trying to control standing waves with speakers pointed horizontally into a space and now they want to add ceiling speakers facing directly at the floor!. Give me a break! Rear speakers and side speakers compromise the front sound as is, So why do we need more compromises?
I do not see Dolby Atmos or dts:X as a compromise. I view it as a worthwhile enhancement. While there is additional complexity to optimize sound, when one adds additional speakers to a movie or music system, my experience is that the effort is worth it. I use my Atmos capable system for movies and music with good results. One key factor, for me, is that the front two speakers are placed for optimum sound for two-channel stereo listening. I have a choice to play back music, or movies, in two-channel stereo if it sounds better for that particular title. I also have the choice to up-mix two-channel source material to Dolby Surround (Atmos) 7.1.4. So, depending on the specific source, I can choose whatever playback mode I prefer at any given time, be it 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1.4 Atmos. I find this flexibility a worthwhile improvement over ordinary two-channel only playback capability. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom