Dual 1229 tone arm movement at start

loweran

I know this has been covered many times, but I cant seem to figure out what to look for. My new to me 1229 is not cooperating. When I select start, the tone arm rises, moves to toward the record and stops about half way there. If I give it a nudge, it completes the travel to the record. At the end of the record it returns as it should.

I have replaced the pimple twice and that is not the issue as far as I can tell. I checked the plastic segment to see if its rubbing and its not. I also replaced the multi/single retaining ring and adjusted the arm height per the manual. The arm is not binding or anything like that. But, it seems there is a bit too much friction in the mechanism to get it past the start up sequence.

Any suggestion where to look are much appreciated.

It would help if you had a platform that would allow you to watch the deck from underneath while it was running. I had to make one while I was using a 1229.

Yeah that is true. I tipped it up and watched. Seems like there is a copper catch at the base of the chasis that is creating just enough friction to not allow the arm to travel. When compared to my other 1229 I cant really tell that its all that different though.

Could be that piece is a little misshapen or is supposed to be lubricated.

Was it working right, and then stopped going all the way over?

If it was working right then the screw that sets how far the tone arm is supposed to go over should still be set correctly.

You could reclean the plate that the lower steuerpimpel slides against. Maybe some kind of dirt has gotten on it that is causing binding.

Did any grease get on the end of the main lever where the pimple travels?
Check that there is slack in the tonearm wires.
At the end of record does the arm move back to the rest without hesitation?

I already set the set down point. Its definitely binding somewhere. If it touch it where it stops the horizontal movement, it snaps into place over the leading edge of the record. I also checked the copper segment to ensure the pin was not hitting the leading edge. It its the angled part, which is correct. Should I think about the bearing being the issue? It seems to travel fine once it gets to the record. It also returns fine.

OK, making some progress. It is related to the position of the copper segment on the square nut on the chassis. Thing is, I cant for the life of me figure out how to adjust it. upload_2018-3-18_16-47-56.png

I will bet that the arm is a bit tough to move past the arm rest, even by hand. There is an adjustment hidden in there for the control lever [not the control arm]. And then there is the one you have pointed out. But this has nothing to do with your issue.
If you want to fiddle with this thing, then slightly loosen the 'screw'. Put finger pressure against the steel piece to which the copper leaf is hinged. This will align the square steel block with the cut-out in the copper leaf. Then snug-up.

Last edited:
I had similar problems after I removed and cleaned my tonearm on my 1219. But I readjusted the tonearm and this part in the manual was key during installation (Rotate outer bearing ring (60) until you feel slight resistance.) Read the first paragraph on page 8 in the service manual. I found getting the outer ring just right stopped extra drag on the tonearm on mine. I hope this helps you. Here is a link to the service manual.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1229.shtml

will bet that the arm is a bit tough to move past the arm rest, even by hand. There is an adjustment hidden in there for the control lever [not the control arm]. And then there is the one you have pointed out. But this has nothing to do with your issue.
If you want to fiddle with this thing, then slightly loosen the 'screw'. Put finger pressure against the steel piece to which the copper leaf is hinged. This will align the square steel block with the cut-out in the copper leaf. Then snug-up.

Yes there is a bit of resistance. I thought it was due to the copper segment. I fiddled with it and got it to go the whole way, but it's picky. Now I think I have the cam needing to be reset because it drops the needle and shuts off :)

Where is the adjustment for the control lever?

Edit - I must have messed up the start and stop mechanism. If I move the needle to the record it starts and immediately stops. I am going to take a brake from this for a while.

Have you run the start stop cycle WITH THE TONEARM STRAPPED DOWN? Anytime you've been moving the TT around or upside down or anything like that, you need to do that. It gets various things in the mechanism lined up right for proper working. All sorts of screwy things can happen if you forget to do that. It's in the regular owners manual, which I assume you've already downloaded. (Sorry I forgot to mention it earlier.)

Also, if the upper steuerpimpel is adjusted wrong it can cause problems with the tonearm travel. It's the one that pushes up the plate the lifts the tonearm. The post right below that pimpel has a knurled plastic ring on it that can be turned one way or the other. Service manual tells how to adjust the proper height.

Last edited:
Use caution when you clean and lubricate underneath. Go online and get a lubrication guide and DO NOT over lubricate or put grease or oil anywhere except those points indicated on the guide.

Look for the long, flat, somewhat curved lever that links the power switch, the idler tension spring, and the copper leaf. The lever is split and has a screw that can be loosened a tiny bit. After you do that, the two pieces can be moved a bit. Then tighten. Repeat until adjusted. You will see how this affects the copper leaf mechanism as well as the actuation of the power switch and also how the start/stop lever works or does not work. Fun...Fun....Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you run the start stop cycle WITH THE TONEARM STRAPPED DOWN?
Yes, I have run it through to reset it. The issue was not with the cam, but with the monkeying around with the switch arm so that it is not catching.

Use caution when you clean and lubricate underneath. Go online and get a lubrication guide and DO NOT over lubricate or put grease or oil anywhere except those points indicated on the guide.
Yes, I have the proper Alvania grease and other oils for the turntable.

Look for the long, flat, somewhat curved lever that links the power switch, the idler tension spring, and the copper leaf. The lever is split and has a screw that can be loosened a tiny bit. After you do that, the two pieces can be moved a bit. Then tighten. Repeat until adjusted. You will see how this affects the copper leaf mechanism as well as the actuation of the power switch and also how the start/stop lever works or does not work. Fun...Fun....Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES! That is the lever I have been 'messing' with. I have it all screwed up at the moment LOL. However, that is the adjustment that seems to make impact on the copper segment, but also impacts the start lever. It's a PITA to get it right, and I have failed so far.

It's a PITA to get it right, and I have failed so far
No kidding. Join the club. That whole turntable is a little Pandora box designed by some ingeniously sadistic malicious individuals. The best of them, who were even too cunning for their friends, left Dual to join Perpetuum Ebner where they really shined. Some say the best tool for the job is a shotgun but they never told me if it's for the turntable or the tech. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

No kidding. Join the club. That whole turntable is a little Pandora box designed by some ingeniously sadistic malicious individuals. The best of them, who were even too cunning for their friends, left Dual to join Perpetuum Ebner where they really shined. Some say the best tool for the job is a shotgun but they never told me if it's for the turntable or the tech. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Hi Guys:
Dual 1229, 701 start/stop/ tone arm not working.
I hope I am not too late in relating my discovery with the Dual 701 & 1229, regarding where the steurepimple glides on the control arm. I cleaned the spot, did not help, did all the adjustment as manual no good, but I noticed the path where the steurepimple made was smoother than the rest of the surface. Solution: I cut a piece of 400 grit waterproof sand paper a bit wider than the path and glued it down with high strength glue, waited over night and it worked like a champ. Now who knows how long this sand paper will last but at least I found where the problem lies, I hope this help you guys and may spark a better solution, like a metal spray that will have some longevity.

Regards, Mustapha

I've got a 1210 with the same problem - yes, I know the 1210 shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as the 1229, and some devotees think it shouldn't be mentioned at all, but I have it. I noticed that the point where the arm hesitates and stops is the same point where the turntable switches on when you use it in manual and move the arm. I need to look hard to see what is the adjustment that fixes this, but it is not the steuerpimpel, since the 1210 has the (no doubt more expensive) spring loaded equivalent.

OK, making some progress. It is related to the position of the copper segment on the square nut on the chassis. Thing is, I cant for the life of me figure out how to adjust it. View attachment 1140973
Take some blocks or cans out of the cupboard and get the table elevated, I used my cell phone to start video and placed it under the table and then watched the video playback. If you are sure it is adjusted and lined up properly check to make sure the lever isnt grabbing the end of the tab as it crosses. I struggled with the same problem on one and adjusted until I couldnt stand it anymore and finally realized it was hitting against the tab. Make sure the tab is completely against the bottom of the deck. Also make sure the queueing adjustment isnt to high, that can also cause the tonearm not to move properly.

Back
Top Bottom