Dual 1229Q Rebuild...from "Want to see a disaster..."

It is a secret.
Also, if you want to be able to plug in new cables, rather than soldering them, find the alternative bracket with the RCAs riveted in place.
You would be best off finding a better chassis plate on ebay. They pop up regularly. As long as it is 1229 or 1229Q, and has a trimmer screw for centering the pitch adjustment.

"trimmer screw"--are you referring to the pitch adjusting wheel?

No, Grasshopper. I refer to the plastic screw used to center the pitch adjustment. Earlier units do not have this and they have a speed control assembly that does not seem to fit quite the same.

No, Grasshopper. I refer to the plastic screw used to center the pitch adjustment. Earlier units do not have this and they have a speed control assembly that does not seem to fit quite the same.

I think we are referring to the same thing. It uses the 1/8" hex allen wrench since I do not have the Dual adjustment tool (i.e. item "E" from the owner's manual). Right?

I think you'll do just fine. Imagine how much worst the turntable would have faired if it had gone through the Fedex office in Alamogordo.
Very few here will know to what I am referring.

Matter of fact, I recall that AK has or had a member from there.

Last edited:
With NoTransistors help, I just (mostly) finished a 604 with the same internal audio connections, but I have the dedicated ground wire that goes outside to the amp. When you have a ground (at least on mine) it connects to the audio cable hold-down clamp in your first picture in post #1. It's just a dumb wire with slotted spade connectors on either end. (Standard is black color at about #20 stranded wire (I'm guessing)). Not advocating you add it because I'm not an expert, but just providing info. I'm guessing that if it didn't come with one and you don't have any problems then you probably don't need to add it. Others will know more than me on the topic.

I also had the darn post break off in the power box on my 604 and had to delicately solder it back on. PITA! Gotta Time Machine? Let's go back about 40+ years and ask Dual to redesign that part. My power box looks the same as yours. I replaced that cap in your picture with an X-rated replacement. (In fact mine has two circuit boards. I replaced all of the electrolytics I could find in it. Maybe yours doesn't have the extra circuitry. My older Duals (1226 and 1009's don't.)

Last edited:
I think you'll do just fine. Imagine how much worst the turntable would have faired if it had gone through the Fedex office in Alamogordo.
Very few here will know to what I am referring.

Matter of fact, I recall that AK has or had a member from there.

Hahaha...funny you mention that! I lived in Alamogordo back in the late '90s when I was in the Air Force. I wonder how much that city has changed--if anything... :)

The posts in the power box(es) break very easily. I solder them back all the time. PITA.
The Euro model has both shields jumped to the solder ears under one screw fastening the mute switch. I see it in your pic.
A true Euro model has a lead weight fastened under-chassis. If you examine a 1019, you will find lots of resonance-damping lead. Leave it to the cheap mofoes at United Audio to eliminate this. Americans, they won't know the difference.

So I do not need a ground wire with this configuration then.

What TV reference?
Trinity Test is an absolutely frightening thought. Only 22 kilotons, a joke by standards later set by fusion devices.

Only one ground-type allowed per turntable.

What TV reference?
Trinity Test is an absolutely frightening thought. Only 22 kilotons, a joke by standards later set by fusion devices.

Only one ground-type allowed per turntable.

"No, Grasshopper."...it comes from the "Kung Fu" TV series... :)

I know. Just didn't catch it.
Wanna hear something funny? A few days ago, I was watching Rod Serling's Night Gallery. Cast comes on at beginning. I see the name 'Radames Pera'. Even though I have not seen Kung Fu for decades, it took all of two seconds to realize why I recognize his name. He played 'Grasshopper'.

Back on subject. Please keep posting photos on your journey. I have a 1229Q that could use service and this is very helpful. Thanks, M

Back
Top Bottom