Dual 701 Left Channel

MtnBeachBum

Hello all.
Been chasing gremlins in my system since I moved to the new place. Ever since I set up the stereo system I swear that the left channel wasn't quite up to snuff with the right channel. I thought it was a speaker issue, probably because I have been wanting to upgrade the speakers for some time anyway. Then I noticed that everything sounded fine when playing cassettes. I then tried my other turntable and everything sounded fantastic!
I then turned my focus to the receiver because it hasn't had any work done to it since I purchased it. It has two phono inputs, so I swapped the inputs and plugged the Dual 701 into the Elac 50H inputs and still no left channel. So, now I know that it is a problem with the Dual 701 somewhere. I deoxed the pins coming out of the cartridge, the pins coming out of headshell insert, and the actual headshell itself, still no left channel.
My question to yall is what else should I concentrate on that may explain no left channel? I had a new RCA cable put on a year ago, I would be very surprised if it was bad already. I removed the 701 from the base for the first time ever to see if there was anything visually that looked odd but to no avail. I just had the turntable serviced a couple of months ago. I am hoping it's something simple I can do, I don't have any soldering skills or test equipment. Any ideas?
Chris

Probably the cartridge sled...what you need to do is use metal polish on all of the contacts--in the sled, in the headshell, cartridge clips, cartridge pins--and then once they're good and shiny clean everything with alcohol, like 90% isopropyl or better. Forget DeOxit, it doesn't work on my Duals either.

Probably the cartridge sled...what you need to do is use metal polish on all of the contacts--in the sled, in the headshell, cartridge clips, cartridge pins--and then once they're good and shiny clean everything with alcohol, like 90% isopropyl or better. Forget DeOxit, it doesn't work on my Duals either.
I didn't think they were dirty enough to cause problems but I will give it a go. What is the best-recommendedheadshell.jpg product for this?

As this is what I do to pay the bills, I am very curious.

What do you mean by, "I had the turntable serviced a couple of months ago."

As this is what I do to pay the bills, I am very curious.

What do you mean by, "I had the turntable serviced a couple of months ago."
I had it in to fix a problem with cueing and auto-return not working. The place was very good to me and got everything working again. They told me it needed a new part to fix the cueing and if I found one they would install it free of charge. I found a nos part which they installed free.
It probably just needs cleaning or it’s something simple I haven’t found. Im gonna try and figure out best product to clean all contacts in sled and headshell and then go over the muting switch.
Just trying to cover all the bases I can so hopefully I don’t have to pay to get it fixed again. I need to just invest in a dmm i guess and stop putting it off.

We cannot have a look at a pic you have not downloaded.
The 701 came in a small selection of assorted connection designs.
With RCA sockets and a ground wire. With RCA sockets and no separate ground wire. With non-replaceable wires that have flag connectors to the mute switch, and with the same flag-connected cable, but terminating in a DIN plug. Soldering is the only way to go when there are flag connectors. On my three 701, I actually installed RCA jacks.

I have no idea, that's how it was when I got it. Pretty sure the first shop I took it too only put on new ends. That was more than a year ago, so my memory may be rusty but I don't think he put that cable on just the new RCA connects. The table has played fine until just recently, so maybe it's just crud somewhere in the sled. I have cleaned everything (spring pins, cartridge pins, headshell, and headshell lead ends three times with d5, d100, and then alcohol. If this doesn't work I will try the metal polish suggestion. What's the best recommended product for this, Flitz? If it still doesn't work then I will get a new tk14/24 sled. Unless you suggest it is best to get the cable replaced instead?

Found the culprit! It ended up being a combination of cleaning the small lead ends that clip onto cartridge pins thoroughly ( got quite a bit of black crud out of them) and fixing the white lead clip end.
After trying everything out and it still not being right i undid the leads from the cartridge and noticed it was very loose. I crimped it a bit and slid it back on. This time i could feel some resistance when i slid back onto post. Got everything back together and... hello left channel. Didn’t notice it was loose before, must have been because the crud was keeping it nice and tight until I decrudded it.

Back
Top Bottom