Dual Turntables 1975-1976

An individual recently picked up his Dual 1019. It had a V15 II without stylus, mounted to its stubby little arm. To test it before he arrived, I used my own genuine Shure stylus. Sounded quite nice. Owner brought a new JICO with him. We both thought that it sounded thin with much treble and little bass. Wonder if it will improve.

Do you know what model of Jico you tried?

Wait, he left the packaging here. Just a second. The label has a model #. Looking it up on the website. Viola'!.
The needle assembly is a $66 VN15E.

I have an original Shure VN15E and a JICO VN15E, they sound pretty much the same in my Empire 598. But we're talking Dual turntables here.

I got my VN35E stylus from LP Gear. According to LP Gear it's made in Japan, but I don't know if it's made by JICO or not. I thought it was better than a genuine JICO SAS that I bought directly from JICO (just before Fukushima). Not nearly as bright, but still had plenty of detail.

The diamond profile is not the same as original Shure, it's .0003 x .0007 and I think the original Shure is .0002 x.0007.
Bought my Type III used, and it came without a stylus. The last time I heard a genuine Shure VN35E was probably sometime in 1978, so I've got no frame of reference anymore.

I have only listened to the V15 ll in my Empire 598, and not in any of my Dual turntables which are the subject of this thread.

I use a V-15 II on my 1019 with a new Jico elliptical stylus. Still a great sounding combination.

I'm listening to my Shure V15 ll and JICO VN15E with some Gerry Mulligan and Paul Desmond on the turntable. This cartridge / stylus combination has the full, warm sound that Shure is known for. Mulligan's baritone sounds rich and Desmond's alto is sweet, just like a thick slice of German Chocolate cake...:)

...now, back to Dual turntables of the mid 1970's.

A 1976 magazine ad for Dual lists the following:

Single Play / Multi Play:

1225..................$140
1226..................$170
1228..................$200
1249..................$280

Single Play

502...................$160
510...................$200
CS 704.............$310
CS 721.............$400

I didn't know they were making the 1225 in 1976. I got one for $50. It was main turntable for a while. It keeps surprising good pitch for something with such a crude motor (4-pole asynchronous). It has its own eccentricities (the switches don't engage at the right spot, and the index function needs adjustment), but it works and it spins at roughly the right speed—which more than some new turntables costing much more can claim.

Back
Top Bottom