Dunkirk

IAnother little quibble: It took forever for that Spitfire to run out of gas [EDIT: But then again it was a one hour timeline]. A few shots of it, from above with the beach as background, just before landing, looked like cheesy 90s CGI.
On page one, I wrote:
There was one scene towards the end that was filming a Spitfire flying above a beach that looked like really, really bad CGI. Old LucasArts hand-painted special effects look more realistic. Very odd considering how well everything looked.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found that CGI to be terrible.

Not entirely. When I was twenty I knew about the Maine...knew about San Juan Hill, Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders, WW I battles... trenches and mustard gas, the Battle at Yorktown and Cornwallis' surrender.. Bunker Hill... Gettysburg...Appomattox.. Tarawa... D-Day invasion... War of 1812.. Mexican American War and James Polk and Zachary Taylor. I knew about them largely from High School American History classes... beginning in upper years of grammar school really.. all in public schools, mostly in Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona... being an Army brat, a few overseas schools, on base but clearly public schools. Yes, kids nowadays... but I think there is more to it than that... that being kids nowadays are not being taught American History, certainly not the events....the continuity of it. That is what's missing, that's what is needed.

I graduated from a public high school in '72, and got most of that stuff in American History, too. So, you are right. But I didn't get Dunkirk in high school, or the Warsaw Uprising, or the Rape of Nanking, likely because Americans weren't involved. Consequently, if you would have asked me about any of that it in my 20s, I, too, would have known little-to-nothing.

So I can't fault today's 20 somethings, and I get sick of hearing old geezers doing the age old whine "kids are so bad nowadays."

I hear lots of people say that American History isn't taught in schools nowadays. My next door neighbor is a teacher. I'll have to to ask her about this.

I graduated from a public high school in '72, and got most of that stuff in American History, too. So, you are right. But I didn't get Dunkirk in high school, or the Warsaw Uprising, or the Rape of Nanking, likely because Americans weren't involved. Consequently, if you would have asked me about any of that it in my 20s, I, too, would have known little-to-nothing.

So I can't fault today's 20 somethings, and I get sick of hearing old geezers doing the age old whine "kids are so bad nowadays."

I hear lots of people say that American History isn't taught in schools nowadays. My next door neighbor is a teacher. I'll have to to ask her about this.

Not finding fault with 20 somethings... what ever it is it's not their fault. I knew of Nanking through Chinese friends, then read the hardbound book.. and while I knew about the Japanese in China and elsewhere... still... fascinating read, with pictures. Damn.. ya know. Hitler is way overrated... compared to Lenin and Stalin too... which is curious... Anyway.. what grade does your neighbor teach? Ask her to bring home a text book you can look at. What she says will reflect what she's been taught.. or learned... not a value statement, simply true.

Did my own reading on WW2 as a kid. Watched "The World At War" during the 70's. Still on the American Heroes Channel (AHC). Read the official US Navy history of WW2 while growing up. Now history is edited to what they want you to know. Skipping over anything that does not push the agenda. Will see the movie when it comes out on Blue-Ray.. Amazing what is left out on Stalin, Mao. The thing is Dunkirk allowed the British to hang on. No Invasion by Germany.

Now history is edited to what they want you to know. Skipping over anything that does not push the agenda. Will see the movie when it comes out on Blue-Ray.. Amazing what is left out on Stalin, Mao. The thing is Dunkirk allowed the British to hang on. No Invasion by Germany.

There's always been an agenda of some sort though not always one you approve of.

What did Mao and Stalin have to do with Dunkirk?

The rewriting of history. If Dunkirk had failed and all were captured, would Britain still be there? Material is easier to replace than soldiers. The ideas that years later that communism is better, and how the west is terrible. WW2 turning into a couple of paragraphs. History being forgotten. How would the world be today if Britain had fallen. No D-Day, Germany ruling Europe, Africa, Far East. Japan ruling the pacific, Australia, Asia. Stalin and Mao killed tens of millions and who knew.

Saw Dunkirk this afternoon and loved it. I didn't find the three act/interleaved timeline hard to follow at all. Tom Hardy was amazing and it was refreshing to see a WWII movie that wasn't through a U-boat or beach-storming. There was one scene towards the end that was filming a Spitfire flying above a beach that looked like really, really bad CGI. Old LucasArts hand-painted special effects look more realistic. Very odd considering how well everything looked.
Too engrossed in the narrative and portrayal to be aware of the cgi faults.

The rewriting of history. If Dunkirk had failed and all were captured, would Britain still be there? Material is easier to replace than soldiers. The ideas that years later that communism is better, and how the west is terrible. WW2 turning into a couple of paragraphs. History being forgotten. How would the world be today if Britain had fallen. No D-Day, Germany ruling Europe, Africa, Far East. Japan ruling the pacific, Australia, Asia. Stalin and Mao killed tens of millions and who knew.

Tie off, you're drifting.

If Britain had fallen (which wouldn't have happened anyway as the Germans were simply incapable of invading Britain) the Soviet Union still would've still defeated Germany and Britain could've played navy as they did against Bonaparte and ended the war in better economic condition. Japanese ambitions in Asia would still have fallen afoul of American interests and the United States would've still crushed Japan.

Too engrossed in the narrative and portrayal to be aware of the cgi faults.
It happened during the 5 minute glider joy-ride at the end. There was literally nothing else going on during that time with super-long shots of the pilot gliding over the coast. :)

Something I'd probably catch with a 2nd go.
Otoh, severely anachronistic set dressing can ruin an otherwise good film for me, something that happened with The Artist and a 1950s phonograph in a late 1920s setting.

Germany was doomed the moment they invaded poland.They could never defeat the combined resources of the british empire,american capital and industry and russian manpower.lf theyd pursued the nuclear path,things might have been somewhat different.They didnt[just like they never designed and utilised a good long range bomber]and a lot of their brains had left by early on.
America,with its nuclear capabiltyi,demonstrated who was going to be in charge when it vapourised and incinerated all those japanese women and children.Dunkirk was a sideshow and typically,the brits turned a defeat into a morale boosting victory through war propoganda

In case anyone gets this far, here are some thoughts on the movie :).

1. See it. In a year full of comic-book movies, this is a movie of substance which people will watch for years to come.
2. Don't wait for the Blu-Ray. See it in the theater.
3. The violence in this movie is calibrated to serve the story, not to rub your nose in it, Neither is it sanitized like an old-time movie.
4. The director does scramble the timeline; don't worry about it. It's a set of parallel and related stories.
5. If you know about aviation, the aerial scenes will really get to you. There may be a few tiny technical errors, but the flying is the heart of the movie.
6. Half the characters are scrawny 19-year-olds with identical haircuts and uniforms. Don't feel bad if you get confused!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...kirk_harry_styles_and_these_other_actors.html (contains spoilers)

As for uninformed generations, here is another take:

I told my wife's daughter I saw "Dunkirk"; she said: "Yuk, that's an awful movie."

"Did you see it?"

"No, but Harry Styles is in it."

"Who is Harry Styles?"

"He was in One Direction."

Even I know that One Direction was a band. What's the matter with old people nowadays? Don't they know anything?

Germany was doomed the moment they invaded poland.They could never defeat the combined resources of the british empire,american capital and industry and russian manpower.lf theyd pursued the nuclear path,things might have been somewhat different.They didnt[just like they never designed and utilised a good long range bomber]and a lot of their brains had left by early on.
America,with its nuclear capabiltyi,demonstrated who was going to be in charge when it vapourised and incinerated all those japanese women and children.Dunkirk was a sideshow and typically,the brits turned a defeat into a morale boosting victory through war propoganda
You summed it up into a neat little package... I guess you don't know anybody that was there, or read a few books of unparalleled examination of those times.... Like Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, to name one of a few benchmarks about the time... or Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking... even Albert Speer's Inside the Third Reich... or Alexander Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago. Just those four would open it up.. enough anyway to let some light shine through...

Last edited:
Yes ive read all those titles you mention and quite a few others concerning that period.
l would mention a couple of fairly recent ones you may or may not have read...
Nicholson Baker-Human Smoke
A History of Bombing-Sven Linquvist
During our sailing days,my wife and i saw many decaying and restored boats used in the operation to rescue soldiers and quite a few have been restored faithfully.On the open sea they seem frail but its a touching sight to see one and compare its humbleness to the hubris of the generals on both sides who commited 'legal' murder ....
All my family have military connections and the surviving elderly ones have a horror of war that only participants can have.
Let the light shine!

Last edited:
The Movie Dunkirk is not really a historical film but a snapshot that shows small facets of the total event. The French were PO'ed that the movie didn't show their story. The movie was not about the French is was about the British. As Dunkirk fades into history it will take on ever more cherished place in the history of the UK. The bottom line is Air Marshall Hermann Göring told Hitler the Luftwaffe could annihilate the trapped forces, so the German ground forces were ordered to slow their advance, the rearguard actions slowed them a little but had the panzer divisions pressed it they would have rolled right over this resistance. Göring didn't deliver and the miracle of Dunkirk happened.

Military tacticians at the US War College say a German invasion of the UK would have lasted about 3 months. The Royal Navy would have come down from Scapa Flow and would have completely cut off any resupply of the invasion force. The UK had defenses in depth everywhere.

Last edited:
There's been a lot of talk about CGI in the aviation scenes. For the record, very little of those shots were CGI, though some was used to add detail. The dogfights were depicted with three Spitfires and a Hispano Buchon (a license-built BF109 copy). The crash scenes were filmed with R/C drones.
http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/dunkirk.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/christopher-nolan-dunkirk-sunken-footage-2017-7
http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/dogfighting-over-dunkirk-180964136/

The Movie Dunkirk is not really a historical film but a snapshot that shows small facets of the total event. The French were PO'ed that the movie didn't show their story. The movie was not about the French is was about the British. As Dunkirk fades into history it will take on ever more cherished place in the history of the UK. The bottom line is Air Marshall Hermann Göring told Hitler the Luftwaffe could annihilate the trapped forces, so the German ground forces were ordered to slow their advance, the rearguard actions slowed them a little but had the panzer divisions pressed it they would have rolled right over this resistance. Göring didn't deliver and the miracle of Dunkirk happened.

Military tacticians at the US War College say a German invasion of the UK would have lasted about 3 months. The Royal Navy would have come down from Scapa Flow and would have completely cut off any resupply of the invasion force. The UK had defenses in depth everywhere.

I’m not sure this is true. If the battle of Britain had gone a little differently and the Luftwaffe had been able to establish air superiority over the channel, the Germans would have been in with a chance. By 1940 capital ships were pretty much obsolete (witness the Repulse/Prince of Wales debacle) – the RN without the RAF would have been very, very vulnerable. I suspect the Free World in general and Britain in particular may owe more to Goring’s incompetence than they would care to recognize.

Back
Top Bottom