DVD player as a dedicated CD player.!

If you get a used Oppo unit, you will be able to play more than CDs. One of the oldest Oppo players, the DV-980H sells for about $50 - $100 on eBay and will play SACDs, in addition to CD and DVD, and sounds pretty good.

Got one of those here and +1 on the recommendation. That one even allows you to turn off the video and dedicate all the processor power to sound. I haven't found any audio source (other than blue ray) that it can't handle gracefully. One bonus over a standard CD player is the ability to synth multi channel if you've a mind to.

(Oh - and it will NEVER play blue ray ... not no how, not no way.) <G>

Always glad to see you on here, sKiZo. Hope the fight to return to normalcy is soon behind you, friend.

Hi all,

I have seen many good quality DVD players going for almost nothing since the blue ray era began. However, good CD players are still expensive, including the old ones. For instance, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, Arcam, etc, dvd players ???

Some of them are THX certified.

What do you think about this idea ??

Thanks for any answer and greeting for all.!

Do it all the time. Have a couple of Denon DVD 758's and a few Sony ES single players. Don't know what DAC is internal to the Denon's ... The Sony's are Burr/Brown. In either case they all sound really good. Of course it depends on the quality of the CD Recording - duh.

The one nice thing I like about some DVD players, is that they will play a CD or DVD with MP3's (these do). So this time of the year, I have a couple of discs with Christmas music of all stripes. About 4~6 hours worth on a single disc. Since this is not critical listening, the internal DAC and the 256 MP3's are entirely adequate for back-ground music.

Works at BBQ's and other events where you want a cheap flexible source of a LOT of tunes w/o dragging out a dedicated MP3 player ... You can be running your compilation discs, but if someone wants to play a CD they brought - just pop it in and you are all good :)

The Denon's have held up pretty well under headphones too. Well enough that I have not sprung for a dedicated DAC for those systems :)

From what I can gather from this thread there's some folks that can't hear differences between transports and there's some that can. Strikingly similar it seems to a cable or a power conditioner thread or most any other tweak that can used in our rigs.

My Toshiba SD-9200. MSRP $2,000 when introduced. Had initial quality issues which tarnished its reputation and led to steep discounting. This player sounds almost as good as my Sony CDP-XA7ES. There is a Direct Audio mode which is a rare feature for a DVD player. Sadly, it is a remote control only feature so have not been able to try.

aW1kjbM.jpg

ZEqV6

I have a DVD player, only one, is hooked up to my TV to play DVDs. I have a CD player too, hooked up to my stereo using RCA cables, Got it at GW for $10, sounds pretty good to me, could sound better I suppose, but then again, I'm 56 and my hearing is pretty much shot thanks to the abuse I subjected my ears to in my wild wild youth.

My Toshiba SD-9200. MSRP $2,000 when introduced. Had initial quality issues which tarnished its reputation and led to steep discounting. This player sounds almost as good as my Sony CDP-XA7ES. There is a Direct Audio mode which is a rare feature for a DVD player. Sadly, it is a remote control only feature so have not been able to try.

Sadly I sold my 9200 before I realized it had a direct audio switch on the remote only. I wish I could've compared it to my Sony DVP9000es i had at the time which also had the direct audio feature. It just may have beaten the Sony (doubtful) and still been here:dunno:

Odd that Toshiba wouldn't supply a remote for $2,000. I don't blame buyers for bitching...

Toshiba did supply a remote, it got separated at the thrift shop. Been trying to get one on ebay. And no, I don't have that kind of scratch for new TOTL AV gear.

I recently picked up a Sony DVP-NS3100ES at a local thrift store for $15 and it has absolutely revived my love of the lowly CD and finally allowed me to enjoy my meager SACD collection. It's a DVD player first, of course, but I have no intention of using it as such.

I like it so much I've gone out of my way to find another of the same model for the garage. Did I pick a good one?

I have four hi-fi systems at home and a small one in my classroom where I work. Only one of those, the one I am using now, has an actual CD player. All of the others use a DVD player or Blu-ray player that sounds just fine. Peace and goodwill.

I recently picked up a Sony DVP-NS3100ES at a local thrift store for $15 and it has absolutely revived my love of the lowly CD and finally allowed me to enjoy my meager SACD collection. It's a DVD player first, of course, but I have no intention of using it as such.

I like it so much I've gone out of my way to find another of the same model for the garage. Did I pick a good one?
Looks like you made a real score, that's a nice looking deck, and the Sony ES line, well........what else is there to say, I likes me some Sony lol.

Silver or black? Post some pics please.

Hi all,

I have seen many good quality DVD players going for almost nothing since the blue ray era began. However, good CD players are still expensive, including the old ones. For instance, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, Arcam, etc, dvd players ???

Some of them are THX certified.

What do you think about this idea ??

Thanks for any answer and greeting for all.!

Oppo - 83SL, 95, 105, 205 models

Oppo - 83SL, 95, 105, 205 models
Don't count out that 203, I picked it up for its native 4k ability but after doing some serious 2ch listening with it I felt it sounded better than my 105 which was shocking to me. Check out audiohaulics review if you haven't already on the 203 & 205, they have about the same thing to say about the 203.

Audiofreak71

Don't count out that 203, I picked it up for its native 4k ability but after doing some serious 2ch listening with it I felt it sounded better than my 105 which was shocking to me. Check out audiohaulics review if you haven't already on the 203 & 205, they have about the same thing to say about the 203.

Audiofreak71

Their x3 models are more like transports to be used with external DAC. x5 models all have advanced stereo DAC, specifically for music playing. I keep my 93, but it is used with advanced AVR for surround duty. I do use 980 as transport with external DAC in my stereo system to play two channel CD and SACD. But for standalone use x5 models is what is needed.

Their x3 models are more like transports to be used with external DAC. x5 models all have advanced stereo DAC, specifically for music playing. I keep my 93, but it is used with advanced AVR for surround duty. I do use 980 as transport with external DAC in my stereo system to play two channel CD and SACD. But for standalone use x5 models is what is needed.
I get what your saying and that used to be correct, I owned the 95 105-105d but they did something different with the 203, I couldn't believe it either but it is an absolute stunning sounding transport . Read this.

http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/oppo-udp-203-udp-205

Audiofreak71

I retired my old DVD player to be the audio CD player because it has audio outs. My new blue ray player doesn't. Both Sony's.

Back
Top Bottom