DVR for broadcast TV?

It just occurred to me that cutting the cord, and all of its different variations, is very similar to finding a music streaming setup for our audio systems--there are literally dozens of ways to do either one.

FWIW, I just got an NVidia Shield for the TV this week. It's pretty much the same basic layout as the Nexus Player (Android TV), but the hardware is way faster, and it is so slick to use. Now that I got my NAS issue with HDHomeRun straightened out (the DVR process didn't restart after a reboot, but I fixed that), anything I've recorded now shows up in the HDHomeRun app on the TV. Android has its own Channels app, and it provides a really nice layout for all of my antenna channels on the HDHomeRun, in a more attractive schedule format. WiFi seems very strong also--I already have things set up to connect it via Ethernet but given what I've seen so far, I really don't have a need to just yet.

I think with the right app, the Shield can be used as a DVR as long as an external drive is attached. I don't need that, but it would be interesting to play with since I have spare drives here.

Back
Top Bottom