e-Bay Purchased Pioneer Decks Down for the Count

I spoke with Jerry Saunders of Hartman & Sons in Roanoke VA, via the telephone. Again, This is the service shop that would be 2.5 hours each way / 5.0 round trip. I am thinking the drive with units in the back seat resting in boxes and buffered for the drive would be preferable than shipping back to sellers. I really appreciate their willingness to take care of the issues but it requires I send it back round trip. These 40 year old units are vulnerable on these trucks. Jerry really impressed me! He did not actually state his age but eluded to it with his credentials. He said he specializes in Pioneer and Marantz and has build up quite a stock of parts over his career. He said he could tackle about any issue / unit I brought him especially being vintage Pioneer. He said he also is very good at turntable service. He says he knows turntables inside and out going back to 1938 models. That is when he laughed and stated that may give a hint as to his age. Anyway, the man sounds like he knows what he is doing and has the parts stock to handle repairs. He said about the only thing that would be hard to find these days are knobs. Don't know why he singled that part out, but he did. So, I am still wishy washy, but I am now thinking about taking the 3 decks that are down for the count over to Roanoke via a nice 5 hour weekend saturday road trip. I could drop all 3 off at once. He said he has about a 3 week turn around time at the moment. I will of course pay for service / repair and the gas going over, but it will save on shipping and insurance. The benefit with this option is I have control of the units safe in my back seat well packed for the trip and no worries about handing sensitive and beautiful vintage equipment to the UPS man. (Sorry UPS!). Ya, I am thinking this is the best route to go to wrap up these decks after their point of origin via e-bay. That is where I got em', but maybe not the place to send them back to for the service to ensure they work. What a project and effort this has turned into in the last month. I just want it all behind me and the decks working well in my lil ole neck of the woods way out in Hillbilly Rural America.

Ok,
So I got off the fence today. Enough wallowing in my self pity. Time to take action with these magical decks. I have wrapped them up well and boxed them. NOT FOR SHIPPING! I am taking a road trip this Friday to Roanoke VA to drop off 4 units to Jerry Saunders @ Hartman & Sons . I was so impressed when speaking with Jerry on the phone today. When he told me he specializes in Pioneer and Marantz, well that sold me. Especially when he said he has compiled parts for just about any need over his career of working on hi - fi. When he told me he is an expert with turntables going back to 1938, that said it all. I am so stoked and confident this guy is going to resolve the issues with fine decks I purchased from e-Bay. I don't hold any ill will towards the sellers. They sent me decks that they had put through the wringer in regards to service and final testing before the shipment. I HAVE NO DOUBTS on their intent. I just have to find a path now that I have them in my possession to get them to where the engineers that designed them intended them to be. This is a work in progress! So Friday I am taking the following 4 units to Jerry to scrutinize and resolve.
1. Pioneer CT-F555: 1982 Model
2. Pioneer CT-F8282: 1976 Model
3. Pioneer CT-F700 1978 Model
4. TEAC RW-AD900 CD Recorder / Cassette Recorder
How the hell did that BPC (Black Plastic Crap) of the TEAC get involved. Long story on that one. But I love the versatility of this unit. The Digital part is on track, but the cassette deck part is down for the count. I researched to find only one for sale nationally and the seller knew it. He stated his was the only one for sale and has it up on Amazon for $1149.00. Wow ! I paid $500 when new. I will get it fixed along with the vintage and be on track with all me decks. Faith and positive thinking is so required when dealing with temperamental vintage gear. Read All the above to get the overall picture. I will post the outcome of the service and repairs as Jerry keeps me in the loop!

I am committed! I have completed the packing of the tape decks for transport tomorrow in MY CAR via the 5 hour round trip road travel. I want these decks up and running and willing to pay service costs instead of sending back to sellers for their graciously offered warranty work. I just don't like the idea of shipping them. I am stoked that the service technician in Roanoke sounds more than well qualified to service the units. I spoke to him at length on the phone and he obviously is a craftsman, proud of his skills and trade. Exactly the type of person I need to get these decks up and running. I will get adding to this thread updates and detail the outcome when I return with the units weeks or possible a month or two down the road. I CAN"T WAIT to have the vintage units in working order. The whole point of purchasing and wanting to enjoy them! Later and Rock On!

I completed the 5 hour round trip to Roanoke yesterday as planned. The service technician @ Hartman & Sons is now in possess of 4 of my cassette decks. He has the 1976 CT-F8282, the 1978 CT-F700, the 1982 CT-F555 and the 2013 TEAC RD-AW900 R (as the cassette deck in that multi unit device does not work). He really loved the 8282 and the 700 (see pics in the thread). He agreed that he highly doubts the service technicians who sold me the units via e-bay intentionally sold defective units. He stated he would not ship these units anywhere if he could help it. He agreed I did the best route by taking them to him instead of shipping them back for service by the sellers. He said he should have no problem shoring up and getting everything fixed for me. He stated that only snag may be the dynamic meter in the CT-F700. He says he has had some success in the past with servicing meters without the need for replacement. I asked him if I would be SOL if he finds that the meter would need replacement. He smiled and said not to worry yet. Even if it needs a new meter he says he still has good connections on the west coast and I would be surprised with some of the parts he can still find. It sounds like my decks are in good hands. I will, of course, have to pay normal service charges but it will be worth it. The sellers would have serviced them and returned them to me, but I would have had to foot the shipping charges. Plus I just don't feel comfortable shipping these around the country. I think that was what caused some of these issues to begin with was the jarring around for days inside of a vibrating truck. Now I will contact both sellers and let them know I changed my mind and will not be sending them back for service as I had told them. I will keep them in the loop and let them know the outcome of what went south with the decks and what was required to service them so they know for future reference and future decks they may want to sell via e-bay. The tech stated it would probably be a month before he can get to them. He is backlogged about 3 weeks and has a vacation scheduled late in June. I told him I in no hurry whatsoever. I just want them up and running in tip top form and I have the patience for him to take his time and do a great qualify job with them all!

Last edited:
Understanding the dilemma with the decks... have been through several myself via Harmon Kardon, Pioneer, AIWA, SONY, Technics, and I am sure I may have missed :rolleyes: others.

From what I gather, most fail from lack of routine maintenance, something most users fail to do. Even the direct driven, auto reverse, double reverse, with smooth tracking fail at some point. It would seem the more complex the motor drive, the more likelihood for eventual failure.

I believe another poster mentioned it correctly, the internal of the cassette decks are a series of belt and gear parts that eventually fall out of spec :dunno:. Servicing is not for the "meek-at-repair" and getting the parts now for "vintage" models can be tedious.

So..... if you have at least one fully functional deck... be happy, it could be a lot worse!:banana:

I have been seriously considering buying a cassette deck. I found two that looked excellent and have been serviced - sold by Ebay sellers with excellent feedback. However, after watching a few hours of YT cassette deck repair videos, it became clear that there are too many things that go wrong with them. Old is old. Even when they are functioning, the old components are worn and tired. They break or explode or die or leak or just wear out. Of course once in a while one gets lucky - but in general, old electronics are not worth it to me.

Why on earth would you be on a tape thread? Just about everything in AK is about vintage.

Now I will contact both sellers and let them know I changed my mind and will not be sending them back for service as I had told them. I will keep them in the loop and let them know the outcome of what went south with the decks and what was required to service them so they know for future reference and future decks they may want to sell via e-bay. The tech stated it would probably be a month before he can get to them. He is backlogged about 3 weeks and has a vacation scheduled late in June. I told him I in no hurry whatsoever. I just want them up and running in tip top form and I have the patience for him to take his time and do a great qualify job with them all!

Hopefully, you haven’t told the sellers that you’ve brought these to a repair shop. I suspect you have though. You sound like the type of fellow who once makes up their mind to do something, do it immediately.

Reason I say this is, you should negotiate with the sellers for at least the cost of return shipping on each, but start at round trip costs for each. That should help reduce your repair fee.

I agree, there is something about the process of making a mixed tape that is very satisfying and therapeutic. And if other people appreciate it, even better! For that period, the music and the recording have your full focus, and as the recording progresses, it evolves into something different than what you imagined it might. One song can inspire you to take a different direction.

I like to play mixed tapes if I have guests over or having a romantic moment or two. :thumbsup: I make mixed tapes for different scenarios. I have found a few for quite cheap over the last few years. So I bought them because they were beautiful, and I play with them every now and then until I get them fixed or get them fixed for me. I’ve had the best luck with Denon tape decks. And they sound quite good. But they aren’t the same as that beautiful vintage analog look with lighted meters. I have three or four projects right now as I learn about the electro mechanics. And I’ve had a few that I just discarded because they had squeeling as an output. I believe that indicates a cap causing oscillations, but it would have to be nice for me to go further.

I also have the Pioneer CT-F700 but without the wood cover. Paid $25 for it a few years ago through CL. It will rewind and fast-forward fine but won't play, maybe the belt is slipping? I opened it up to see if it's easy to replace the belt but except for 3 belts, the rest seems impossible to replace. Maybe I need to research better.

CEO2BE,
That is a great price for the CT-F700. It probably does need some service as it is 40 years old. Mine did work quite well for 3 days before it started it's issues. I am confident it is currently in the right hands to get those issues ironed out. I do recommend you to pursue to get it up and running. They are going for $400 on e-bay if in fine working order. So even if you have to put $375 into it, you are still getting a bargain. Yes, it is a Type II deck, no metal. However, I guarantee you will be blown away from the fidelity even with a type II tape. The bias meter adjustment for recordings, and the dynamic meter give you the tools to ensure you are maxing out your recordings. The top quality heads will ensure you hear recordings you make are pretty much true to the source. I have not heard a recording from a cassette deck sound so fine. It is pretty close even to my RT-707 Open Reel. I can't wait to get it back. I paid $400 for mine and will be adding more with the service invoice plus the gas for the 300 mile round trip for access to quality vintage service for the unit. I wish you well and encourage you to do what you need to do to get that deck to where it was engineered to be. I assure you won't be sorry about it.
I am adding an "edit" to the above. I want to add this is the "FIRST" Cassette deck I have ever had that the Dolby B actually works as engineered with this deck. When you record with the Dolby B, you HAVE to encode it on playback. Otherwise it is way too bright in the high frequencies. Every other deck I have used (with exception now to the 8282 as that also is the same in high quality), the Dolby always took something away from the music in order to reduce the tape hiss. Not with the 700 nor the 8282. They simply sound outstanding with Dolby B as intended.

Last edited:
Nice to read that you are getting the service worked out. I wouldn't want to ship them either as they may come back with the same or different issue from being tossed around. By driving them you will have a nice working collection when finished. Best of luck!

I've rebuilt all those units back when I worked/ran a service shop. We used to replace all the rubber with OEM parts, and, if there was any hint of a problem, the long mutli contact ever problematic rec/play switch, something impossible today, and sometimes a head, often an aftermarket substitute performing electronic alignment as required using customer recommended tape type. It was good when the rec/play switch function was replaced with logic switching, or separate rec/play sections. Anyway, at the time I did this the units were not vintage, just getting old and needing overhaul to keep them worth owning. With advanced years things that used to be okay in those complex mechanisms begin to present problems if not tended to.. and that will require either a high aptitude for mechanical mechanisms or a good measure of experience with the decks. I wouldn't buy one from that period without the confidence I could overhaul it, would assume it will have problem. A more modern cassette deck, dual well, HX pro, digital transport and rec/play control, non fluoroscan display can easily be found at thrifts for less than twenty dollars that will ultimately outperform most of those decks and work without problems, at least for a few years... and, ironically, are usually easier to replace belts. What they don't have is that wonderful vintage 'equipment' look that so many of use admire and enjoy. Those older decks can be repaired to their former glory and reliability but it will take time and require talent.

I've rebuilt all those units back when I worked/ran a service shop. We used to replace all the rubber with OEM parts, and, if there was any hint of a problem, the long mutli contact ever problematic rec/play switch, something impossible today, and sometimes a head, often an aftermarket substitute performing electronic alignment as required using customer recommended tape type. It was good when the rec/play switch function was replaced with logic switching, or separate rec/play sections. Anyway, at the time I did this the units were not vintage, just getting old and needing overhaul to keep them worth owning. With advanced years things that used to be okay in those complex mechanisms begin to present problems if not tended to.. and that will require either a high aptitude for mechanical mechanisms or a good measure of experience with the decks. I wouldn't buy one from that period without the confidence I could overhaul it, would assume it will have problem. A more modern cassette deck, dual well, HX pro, digital transport and rec/play control, non fluoroscan display can easily be found at thrifts for less than twenty dollars that will ultimately outperform most of those decks and work without problems, at least for a few years... and, ironically, are usually easier to replace belts. What they don't have is that wonderful vintage 'equipment' look that so many of use admire and enjoy. Those older decks can be repaired to their former glory and reliability but it will take time and require talent.
Thanks for the insight. I agree that making a decision to use vintage 40 year old equipment is going to take time and patience. That is why I am ok with the fact that these decks still need attention after their "refurb" and travels across the country. Having found a very experienced and enthusiastic service tech is key to success in this endeavor. I believe by having someone who knows what they are doing is going to make a big difference since I don't have the skills to overhaul nor work on these units. I understand it is a $ investment also to get the quality service required for these units. I truly believe it will, for me, be all worthwhile down the road once they are on track. I let the tech know I would preference he does give the units his eagle eye from years of experience and if he sees areas that need attention beyond the issues I have detailed, to contact me and I'll be happy to consider his recommendation. I don't have the "cost is no object mentality" but I do have a "I don't want to be cheap while an experienced service tech is working on the unit" I would preference we get it right and wrap it up now to avoid future trips back. Thanks again for your insight and opinions. That is what I need during this experience.

Nice to read that you are getting the service worked out. I wouldn't want to ship them either as they may come back with the same or different issue from being tossed around. By driving them you will have a nice working collection when finished. Best of luck!
Vendo81. I really appreciate your support in this endeavor. This is no difference than getting an ole MGB restored and running. Someone has got to "keep em' on the road" . It does take a certain mentality to pursue this vintage passion but it is so well worth it in the end when one knows they are part of a culture "keeping em' on the road" .

words of advice: NOS units purchased on Ebay or anywhere Else should be serviced before powering them up. Mechanical devices that have sat for 30-40 years though unused, are not "as new" anymore. Grease dries up, belts deteriorate and turn to goo, or develop flat spots etc. If you should buy a new old stock anything, service it first, THEN use it, you will have a new unit. Using it woithout servicing it first can actually CAUSE damage to the unit.

Thanks JDWK,
I agree. I have learned from this experience. Belts are a priority no matter the use of the unit when it hits 40 years old. The 2 decks (CT-F700 and CT-F8282) were serviced well before shipment, but developed issues soon after arrival. Those are 2 of the 4 currently in the hands of the service technician. The CT-F555 that was NOS is also there due to the recording issue. However, I told him to also replace the belts as I know they are 40 years old. I also asked him to use his eagle eye and experience to bring to my attention any other issues that are not on my "to do list" for him. I would rather get it all done now while there so I can have troublefree service down the road (hopefully) and also to be as efficient as I can taking into account the service option is a 300 mile / 5 hour round trip. I will take heed of the advice to have it reviewed and serviced before I use them. However, the good news is I believe I am finally at the point whereas I have all the units I want right now. The focus now is to ensure the ones I have are up and running as intended by their designers/engineers.

Posting the most recent update on the status of the Cassette Decks. They are still in Roanoke. They have been there over a week now, but Jerry was clear that it would be at least a month before he could even look at them, so I am OK with the time as he set a clear time frame. He did contact me to request I provide cassettes that were recorded on the decks. I got those out in the mail to him. I can't wait until down the road when I get them all back and fire them up to, hopefully, find all the above mentioned issues were resolved on the decks. I am going to bring him more units when I pick these Up. I have quite a few vintage units that could use a tweak or two. Some just need a good cleaning inside via Deoxit5, etc. I will post the outcome down the road in a month or so.

Facts: Your cassette decks have peak meters much more than true VU meters, and with lots of headroom built into them. ReVox and Tandberg were the closest to real VU standard on level metering. Like you, I enjoy cassettes from time to time, mix tapes are fun to do.

Thanks KentTeffeteller,
Your input on the meters lead me to research further. I learned what a Peak Power Meter and a Volume Unit Meter and the differences between them. Thank you for the info.

Facts: Your cassette decks have peak meters much more than true VU meters, and with lots of headroom built into them. ReVox and Tandberg were the closest to real VU standard on level metering. Like you, I enjoy cassettes from time to time, mix tapes are fun to do.

Your input on the meters led me to research further. I learned what a Peak Power Meter and a Volume Unit Meter are and the differences between them. Thank you for the info.[/QUOTE]

I may have miss it in one of your reply but have you been given a ballpark figure on repair costs for even one of the decks?
I was given a nonworking Kenwood or maybe Yamaha top of the line deck several years ago. I found a guy over on tape heads that was suppose to be the best in the country at restoring them and he quoted me a price of 1K w/ an alignment.
I gave the deck away.
I wish you luck brother
PS I went the 50$ route and bought a working Kenwood off of CL

Did a little browsing through so old photos and the deck I had was a Yamaha KX-1200. The problem was the Sankyo transport and some other issues

I may have miss it in one of your reply but have you been given a ballpark figure on repair costs for even one of the decks?
I was given a nonworking Kenwood or maybe Yamaha top of the line deck several years ago. I found a guy over on tape heads that was suppose to be the best in the country at restoring them and he quoted me a price of 1K w/ an alignment.
I gave the deck away.
I wish you luck brother
PS I went the 50$ route and bought a working Kenwood off of CL
Good Question. I have not yet received a quote for the repair. I dropped the 4 units off on Friday June 01, 2018. The tech did state he is about 3 weeks backed up and will be taking a vacation end of June. He said he would not be able to even look at them for about a month. I estimate I still have 2 weeks to go before I get a call detailing what they found and what the cost will be to correct all of the issues. I sense these people are fair and the comments on google indicate it also.

Back
Top Bottom