file.php

Test report: High Fidelity January 1953

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Glad these advertising gems are appreciated.

The sad part (or good, depending on how you look at it) is that McIntosh's first amplifier, the 50 W2 specs out better than a number of tube amplifiers being produced today.

BTW, I took you up on your advice (and some other people's) on another post concerning tube rolling and the use of KT66 in the MC30's. I am sticking with What McIntosh intended to be used in the MC30's and just roll different makes of those tubes.

BTW, I took you up on your advice (and some other people's) on another post concerning tube rolling and the use of KT66 in the MC30's. I am sticking with What McIntosh intended to be used in the MC30's and just roll different makes of those tubes.

Good plan....I'm doing the same thing. I've been mainly rolling 12au7's in my 30's.......and a little bit of position 1 of the 12ax7. If I really want to change the sound of the amps, I'll just hook up a different set of speakers.

Glad these advertising gems are appreciated.

The sad part (or good, depending on how you look at it) is that McIntosh's first amplifier, the 50 W2 specs out better than a number of tube amplifiers being produced today.

I'm always on the lookout for this kind of stuff but very hard to find. Where do you find them? Enjoyable reading...

Mac has a superior design and superior knowledge of how to make tube amps. And until someone knows what Mac people know about winding and constructing transformers they are trying to build amps with both arms tied behind their backs!. Its the same knowledge that allows Mac to use Autoformers where others wouldn't dream of it. My old Crown amps while meeting specs at 8 ohms, 180 watts a channel at 240 watts across 4 ohms the distortion we nt from about 1% at 10 ,000 hz to over 7% by 14,000 hz. You don't see that with 2105 or 2205s's. Even 7200's with out autoformers still equaled or bettered 7300s at lower impedances over the full sound spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom