EBAY, what should I know

Never....EVER....let a seller ship a component with it still in the wood case.

I never purchase Mac components, without the correct shipping box....even buying locally.

You are always going to be gambling on ebay. I am not sure what the advantage is of ebay for buying McIntosh these days. I don't see anything go cheap there anymore either - beat up C26's go for almost $500 routinely. For just a little more, you can get it from someone reputable.

First I would look at AudioClassics. You will pay more, but you will get what you pay for. You can also try the music room - very reputable, and they have a pretty good return policy. Then there is the place in Knoxville, that sells a ton of used McIntosh and they give you a one year warranty on most stuff too. They might even be a sponsor here.

I would do all that before ebay. You might save $200, but roll the dice on everything else.

-Geoff

My main concerns are shipping and how much trust I can give a seller based on feedback alone. Any opinions or experiences are much appreciated.

Why are people still replying to this thread and offering suggestions, opinions or experiences when the OP hasn't bothered replying to his thread? yet was seen as of yesterday afternoon.

I guess it wasn't that much of a concern nor really appreciated.

I am usually looking for stuff that is broken but repairable. About 75% of the time I come out ahead. The other 25% there is a problem with an unobtainable part or damage to the chassis. I did buy an MC300 for $700 about two years ago that only needed new glass and side trim pieces. It electrically was fine. It's a gem and made up for a few dogs. My guess was that the seller bought it at a FedEx or UPS distress auction for a couple hundred dollars and didn't even know how to hook it up to test it. You have to make a split second decision and roll the dice. I found out later here on AK that several other members procrastinated just long enough for me to push the BUY button first.

Why are people still replying to this thread and offering suggestions, opinions or experiences when the OP hasn't bothered replying to his thread? yet was seen as of yesterday afternoon.

Some people just like to start threads and read replies.

Only I ever I bought off of E bay was Sansui 7070, and the box looked like hell but the receiver was fine! :)

So it can be done but that being said ... the "Mac Gear" seems to be a different story?? There are a lot of "Horror" stories of Mac gear being shipping and it being turned into "crap" in the process!

If I wanted to buy Mac Gear, I'd get it from Audio Classics Limited ... pay the premium and call it a day! :)

I don't think anything sucks more than spending bucks, for a piece of gear and when it shows up , you open the box and find a box full of broken crap ?? That happens quite often especially with "Mac Gear!??" But with "Audio Classics Limited" although there may be issues ... broken crap upon arrive ... does not seem to be one of them! I'm a satisfied customer from uh decades ago. :)

LOL .., well "people do stuff," nuff said.:)"

Not all of us buy perfection. Many buy busted and turn it back into perfection. This is what I do (aside from the MC275 which happened to ship in the original packing).

So it can be done but that being said ... the "Mac Gear" seems to be a different story?? There are a lot of "Horror" stories of Mac gear being shipping and it being turned into "crap" in the process!
Most Mcintosh amplifiers are extremely heavy with glass front panels, most preamps, tuners, integrated have glass front panels.
These glass panels break during shipping when not packed in the appropriate factory packaging, its as simple as that.

Not all of us buy perfection. Many buy busted and turn it back into perfection. This is what I do (aside from the MC275 which happened to ship in the original packing).
That's all well and good, and as long as one is not paying for "perfection first," then having , there perfect piece, turned into "crap" on it's journey to its new home it's all good.

I take it, there was no broken glass on the Delorean?? :)

Every piece of McIntosh equipment I ever bought on ebay ended up a disaster. It's not worth my time and energy. I buy from Audio Classics. Cheaper, better and less aggravation in the long run.
^^^^ This is the best advice on this entire topic. Don't take a chance with this costly gear. There are NO deals on eBay.

^^^^ This is the best advice on this entire topic. Don't take a chance with this costly gear. There are NO deals on eBay.
The last two pieces I sold on ebay were shipped in correct Mcintosh cartons either from Mcintosh or Audio Classics. The units arrived in perfect condition and the buyers gave me positive feedback. Therefore I can state that there can be deals on ebay. You just have to research the seller and his/her selling history. I have bought and sold many Mac pieces and most came from ebay, the remainder from local CraigsList. I have personally never purchased any equipment from Audio Classics or Tom Manley. I have bought parts such as glass. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these two sellers but their prices are higher than I can afford. Besides, it's a great feeling to look and listen to a piece of equipment that you personally brought back to mint condition.

No doubt there are deals on Ebay?? But MAC Gear ... I don't know if that is the best place for "Bargain Shopping??"

At the bare minimum for MAC gear on E bay?? I would ask if the unit ships in a "Mac Box" where ever that Box comes from?? Audio Classic is most certainly not gonna be a "bargain price for" Mac Gear?? But a given unit will arrive as "described" and if it is not ... they will make it right! No questions asked.

I don't think anything could suck more than paying big bucks for a piece of gear and when it reaches you, opening the box to find a box of Broken Crap??? :(

I have not bought MAC Gear from them ... but I did buy my KG 4's from them uh Decades ago! They arrived in OEM Boxes unharmed and I can't remember if they were new are used?? As they were perfect!

And I tried not one but two Craver TMF 250 and both showed up with dead channels??? I called and they said that is weird but "whatever" send it back ... no harm no foul! :)

If I were in market for MAC, ACL, is where I would get it from. :)

No doubt there are deals on Ebay?? But MAC Gear ... I don't know if that is the best place for "Bargain Shopping??"

At the bare minimum for MAC gear on E bay?? I would ask if the unit ships in a "Mac Box" where ever that Box comes from?? Audio Classic is most certainly not gonna be a "bargain price for" Mac Gear?? But a given unit will arrive as "described" and if it is not ... they will make it right! No questions asked.

I don't think anything could suck more than paying big bucks for a piece of gear and when it reaches you, opening the box to find a box of Broken Crap??? :(

I have not bought MAC Gear from them ... but I did buy my KG 4's from them uh Decades ago! They arrived in OEM Boxes unharmed and I can't remember if they were new are used?? As they were perfect!

And I tried not one but two Craver TMF 250 and both showed up with dead channels??? I called and they said that is weird but "whatever" send it back ... no harm no foul! :)

If I were in market for MAC, ACL, is where I would get it from. :)
You won't steal gear from Audio Classics but it is absolutely fairly priced, always has visited their bench to confirm it is in the condition at which it is sold, and will arrive intact. So there is tangible added value buying from them.

Locally, CraigsList pricing is generally higher than AC and the gear is in questionable condition (when I read, "refurbished/updated/gone over by a qualified tech" or some such, I shudder).

And with eBay, really, who knows.

You won't steal gear from Audio Classics but it is absolutely fairly priced, always has visited their bench to confirm it is in the condition at which it is sold, and will arrive intact. So there is tangible added value buying from them.

Locally, CraigsList pricing is generally higher than AC and the gear is in questionable condition (when I read, "refurbished/updated/gone over by a qualified tech" or some such, I shudder).

And with eBay, really, who knows.

When you are a repeat buyer from Audio Classics, they will discount prices for you. I've purchased 5-6 pieces from them and they've serviced as many for me. I speak to Ryan and he always give me 'my' price. At the end of the day, if you buy something elsewhere and save a couple hundred bucks, and it arrives damaged or needing service, you end up paying more than buying it from a reputable dealer anyway. By the time you pack it, ship it, pay for service and get it shipped back, it's 500 bucks minimum. Forget about your time and aggravation. AC's prices are very fair in my eyes. I order it, pay for it, get it in 2 days and every time it meets or exceeds my expectations. No brainer.

When you are a repeat buyer from Audio Classics, they will discount prices for you. I've purchased 5-6 pieces from them and they've serviced as many for me. I speak to Ryan and he always give me 'my' price. At the end of the day, if you buy something elsewhere and save a couple hundred bucks, and it arrives damaged or needing service, you end up paying more than buying it from a reputable dealer anyway. By the time you pack it, ship it, pay for service and get it shipped back, it's 500 bucks minimum. Forget about your time and aggravation. AC's prices are very fair in my eyes. I order it, pay for it, get it in 2 days and every time it meets or exceeds my expectations. No brainer.
Your explanation is completely valid for individuals looking for mint equipment, have a very low risk tolerance and want something available for immediate delivery. They also have sufficient disposable income to pay for those attributes. This is no different than buying a used car either independently or "certified" from a new car dealer.

I haven't even seen busted stuff sell on ebay recently that would save you money from buying one from Audio Classics. It is getting ridiculous. I see listings for C26's with shattered face plates selling for $450 plus shipping. You'll have $700 into that thing before you even turn it on and you are already at AC C1 pricing. You can get a Audio Classics C1 grade C24 right now for $599. Why even take a risk on ebay? ebay seems to be the place to pay top dollar nowadays, not get a good deal.

-Geoff

Back
Top Bottom