• I sell, but hide my shame from fellow AKr's

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • Occasional seller

Votes: 126 22.3%
  • I don't sell, but I buy way too much

Votes: 92 16.3%
  • Occasional buyer

Votes: 216 38.2%
  • I want to B*tch Slap epay! Ruined the hobby!

Votes: 49 8.7%

• Total voters
I ran into one of those "I don't get it" deals over the weekend. I bought a used but tested pair of Mullard-made 7247 tubes for the opening bid of $2. Even if they are duds, at that price its worth the risk. I'd be more leery about spending big coin on tubes without known test results, but this was a buyer with a lot of feedback and 100% positive. I'll take that chance.

I ran into one of those "I don't get it" deals over the weekend. I bought a used but tested pair of Mullard-made 7247 tubes for the opening bid of $2. Even if they are duds, at that price its worth the risk.

I got a deal on some one time, and the had a red led in the heater, and a transistor hidden beneath the coating. I'm glad I checked it before putting it in the amp. I laughed hard enough that it was worth what I paid.

Ditto to osubuc45's "haul." In my case, add amazon.com to the list and it's not very difficult to find just about any used CD in decent condition with respectable shipping costs. I've never sold anything via ebay (or amazon), but have made many music purchases (in addition to books and other items) over the past decade or so.

Been on Ebay almost since it started. Bought/sold thousands of items. Maybe 3,000 vintage stereo pieces. Mostly good people there.....but some a**holes too. (sellers and buyers)

Been with PayPal about since it started too. I prefer it by far over money orders. (money orders lead to scams)

It (Ebay and Paypal) has changed over the years...some for the good, and some has made it a pain to deal with. To many hoops to go through now. Used to be simple and fun. Fee's have increased mover time.

Last edited:
I use ebay quite often to buy things that are not available locally. At one time, I sold a few things, but now I tend to use forums like this for selling.

When digital cameras (DSLRs) became affordable, many people sold off their film cameras, lenses and equipment for peanuts. I suspect the effect on the market was similar to the introduction of CDs and playback equipment. I bought near mint condition Nikon film cameras and manual focus lenses that were being sold in favor of the newer technology. Prices have climbed a bit recently, as people are rediscovering the art of manual photography - much as people have rediscovered the joys of vintage audio.

I use ebay quite often to buy things that are not available locally. At one time, I sold a few things, but now I tend to use forums like this for selling.

When digital cameras (DSLRs) became affordable, many people sold off their film cameras, lenses and equipment for peanuts. I suspect the effect on the market was similar to the introduction of CDs and playback equipment. I bought near mint condition Nikon film cameras and manual focus lenses that were being sold in favor of the newer technology. Prices have climbed a bit recently, as people are rediscovering the art of manual photography - much as people have rediscovered the joys of vintage audio.

I picked up quite a few Nikon, and Olympus Lenses as well. The prices have gone back up now that people are realizing they work great for dslrs too. And film is seeing a resurgence.

I've got 5 OM-2s (Favorite Camera Ever) and a full set of lenses that I picked up for next to nothing, when they bottomed out. I should be good for parts for a long time.

I picked up an OM-4 really cheap once too. I don't remember what I payed but it was a lot less than they go for now.

You can pick up boxes of Cds cheap right now. I bought two lots of 800 for 35 bucks each not too long ago. Without cases, but great for ripping.

We all love and hate the bay for many different reasons, some good, some bad! Just curious to see where the majority of AKr's stand on it!

I've bought the majority of my audio stuff from E-bay....also photo equipment and Chinese teapots for the wife. Have had few problems with them. A seller who shipped a Dual C-939 cassette deck to me packed it very poorly and it arrived trashed. Got my money back.

eBay and PayPal have made it a nightmare to sell. Any electronic item, some low life can claim its damaged and PayPal will decide in their favor.

I sold a power conditioner with a no returns accepted, he didn't like it. He wants to return it, I decline.

Next thing you know, my funds are frozen and he filed a claim of it being damaged.

Now I'm out $50 because this jerk thinks I'm mini Amazon.

I'm done selling on eBay....

I have bought and sold on EBAY. Only one bad purchasing experience. And that was for electronics. Seller shipped the item in the original box ONLY! No extra protection whatsoever. It was basically destroyed. Had to fight for a refund and the guy eventually just sent me a new item.

I did, however, have a Nigerian Prince try to buy an item from me. He even sent me a check, for more that the auction price! Wanted me to refund the difference and keep a little for myself (for my "trouble") o_O What a DEAL!!!

I use eBay as a price reference only. Too much of a hassle. There have been times when I've taken something to one of these "sell your shit on eBay" stores to sell something that I know wouldn't move on the local CL. The total cost of fees and commission are outrageous doing it this way but it's easy, low risk, and puts some $$ back in my pocket.

I am a ebay lover. buy ebay all the time for gobs of stuff
mostly cheep free shippng. never bid on anything only BIN.
very convenient.

i love Ebay. Most of the audio gear i own is from there. i also get thinks like breadboards and blank PCB's from Ebay. The only electric components on Ebay i buy are LED's for projects and LED fuse lamps for old gear. every other electric component i get from Mouser that way im not going to get some cheap no name caps or fake transistors.

We all love and hate the bay for many different reasons, some good, some bad! Just curious to see where the majority of AKr's stand on it!

I used to buy comics galore from all over the USA, then the shipping costs doubled for me so I pretty much have my buying as an emergency only, but not for comics anymore, but stuff that might be tough to find or the price with shipping is still worth the while.

Ebay is the engine that drives this avocation. Open and Shut Case. That said, it coughs and sputters like crazy. But the reason your SX-1980 doesn't bring $300.00 (the last value I saw in a printed Orion Audio Blue Book) but pushes $5K instead is the miracle that is getting Buyers in contact with Sellers.
All that said, Ebay seems Hades bent on being able to screw up boiling water.

The main thing that bothers me is that best offer accepted prices post on Ebay (outside of the two people in the transaction) as the BIN price. That skews the actual market values. Mostly upward. Good if you're a seller, not so good if you're a prospective buyer. I'd prefer the actual truth. Let everything shake out like it shakes out.....

Last edited:
i have bought quite a few receivers , turntables etc on ebay. a few were returned because they were to damaged, a few more were damaged but repairable and i got partial refunds or sent parts. i find that a lot of sellers dont understand how heavy receivers are and that ups - fedex will drop them and toss them and the importance of double boxing them. i was able to find a replacement faceplate for this sansui the seller refunded me $200 to make things right but it could have been avoided with better packing. i must add that almost all the items are as they were described less the damage and that most sellers are pretty honest and willing to make things right when there is a problem.
View attachment 689633 View attachment 689634
Go onto YouTube,and look for radiotvphononut's video rants about ebay.
Here's one

Begin rant...:rant::rant::rant:
I am just about done with ebay,after over fifteen years.I never bought,or sold,any gear on ebay,but have bought,and sold,lots of records.For me ebay has become less and less enjoyable in recent years.I used to buy and sell there,a lot.I haven't sold in a couple of years,and when I buy it's pretty much either on Discogs,or Facebook,for used records,or Amazon,for new stuff.As far as old records are concerned,I have such a huge collection,my interests are now 1)Rare pressings or very obscure rock,from the 60s-80s.2)Rare soul,R&B,and ska/reggae,that often sells in the triple digits per record.3)Records by very obscure,or unknown,classical artists hardly anyone has ever heard of.4)Rare records of weird/strange/outsider stuff.A lot of what I have bought on Discogs has been in better shape,and cheaper,than similar BIN records on ebay.I also always hated the whole proxy bidding thing on ebay.I have lost out on at least 90% of the records I have tried to bid on in the last few years,and I suspect proxy bids have been a big factor.

I also have had issues of late,where ebay,not Paypal,will cancel a payment of mine,without the seller's knowledge,in one case,or bar me from buying from a specific seller,without the seller's permission,or knowing about it,in another case.I had no issues with my account.It seems like either somebody at ebay wants to play games with me,or there are recent hiccups in their algorithm.

OK.I'm done with my rant.:oops:

Back
Top Bottom