Econo Waveguide buy

Yep, thanks Andy. I will let this ride until this weekend and order Monday based on the results. I hope to have them at the SMAC meeting......should be do-able.

I am in for a pair... Are we doing a group buy of the BMS drivers too? Did anyone shop those recently?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Strawman, no just the waveguide lenzes.

Hi Cosmos, I already have drivers so I just need the lenzes. Cheers.

AWWHH C'mon Dave, $20, and your the one we need experimenting with these things!

You can swing it can't yu?

Bad timing, but I'll pick up some later. The waveguide I'd be more interested in is the 10" round waveguide at PE> :)

I believe 900hz was an exteme low, and that 1k on up was the "preferred" setup.

Read the thread in the speaker forum THE BIG ONE, titled like ak collabritive I think.

Actually, the woofer crossed over at 900 in one crossover, and 1200 in another. The high pass for the horn is around 2.5 or so. I have tried them at 800 and that was pushing it.( I also used JBL 2425H, the selenium isnt to happy that low) The cross over for the econowaveguide is asymetric, that is it isnt at 900 hz or whatever on both drivers. The mix of ( depending on which crossover, i.e. woofers over 95 db or under 95 db, and whether or not the woofer is one particular JBL model) 1200 on the woofer and 2.5 on the horn result in a flat response and actual crossover (once electrical and accoustical responses combine) appears to be around 1500 or so.

Russellc

AWWHH C'mon Dave, $20, and your the one we need experimenting with these things!

You can swing it can't yu?

I agree. this is one inexpensive part, and the project's crossover and compensation is designed for this driver AND waveguide. It is quite a science to compensate a compression driver/waveguide, each different one requiring its own particular compensation. This one is all worked out, and is a peach to be sure.

I'm glad to see this project spreading, Its an excellent opportunity for AK members to build a super performing speaker, and I do mean super, for very little dough. A through read of both econowave collaberative, as well as the insignia collaberative is a wonderful education on how crossover design can be done, how to impliment the 239 dollar Beringer RTA, and great info on compensation, particularly on compression drivers and waveguides.

A great project, a kickass speaker, as well as a great education is here for all AK members.

I'm glad to see this spread, now as a group buy, later more and more members will have the opportunity to hear this project...then it will grow even further!

Russellc

The only thing that really keeps me from going that direction is just what you describe, I have nothing against kits established designs as a starting point for someone wanting to play around or get into speaker building. I still play around with such things, but most of the fun of speaker design for me is the design portion, not the building portion. That's why I like the PE waveguide. It actually measure more like a waveguide then the PT and is just about as inexpensive. If someone wanted to make a quasi gedlee summa clone, the PE will get you closer albeit not quite there.

In any case, I don't doubt that the PT waveguide project will get you an awful lot of performance without spending too much money. It's just not for me at this point.

So your saying you've tried 800hz and it's pushing it, so 900hz would be a realistic cutoff point for the waveguide?

Actually, the woofer crossed over at 900 in one crossover, and 1200 in another. The high pass for the horn is around 2.5 or so. I have tried them at 800 and that was pushing it.( I also used JBL 2425H, the selenium isnt to happy that low) The cross over for the econowaveguide is asymetric, that is it isnt at 900 hz or whatever on both drivers. The mix of ( depending on which crossover, i.e. woofers over 95 db or under 95 db, and whether or not the woofer is one particular JBL model) 1200 on the woofer and 2.5 on the horn result in a flat response and actual crossover (once electrical and accoustical responses combine) appears to be around 1500 or so.

Russellc

I have heard it adapted for use with a dome tweeter and have seen measurements posted on one of the audio sites. Looks and sounds promising. :)

So your saying you've tried 800hz and it's pushing it, so 900hz would be a realistic cutoff point for the waveguide?

For the wave guide yes....I just dont know how the selenium driver from econowave would like it. Again, when I did it I screwed on the JBL 2425H on top of an A7 of all things.

I'm sure the waveguide itself, while functioning at 800hz, would likely prefer the higher point required by econowave. I dont have an RTA yet to check the response, unfortunately.

Russellc

OK, I talked to JBL yesterday and they have 7 in stock but their computer says they will have more by first of next week. I will order them this week. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom