Ed Saunders

Nucities

Hi Group

I am in the midst of my AR XA restoration project. I ordered a new stylus from Ed Saunders to use with my Shure M91E cart. It seemed like a moderately priced option ($30) and I'd read some good reviews. Anybody have that combo; what do you think? Also anybody order from them recently? I placed my order quite a while ago and have heard squat back...no confirmation, tracking etc. Did I send my payment to a defunct business?

My understanding is that Ed hasn't been associated with the business in some time, and what you're probably getting from the woman that took his business over is a $15 Pfansteihl for $30. If you get it.

Very possibly. Perhaps even probably. The Ed Saunders website seems to appear and disappear from time to time which is not a good sign and there have been other reports of a stony silence when people try to contact Ed Saunders.

Just as important is that the business, such as it is, no longer has anything whatsoever to do with Ed Saunders. He bowed out a year or two ago and has stated here on AK and perhaps elsewhere that the person (Trisha Horne) currently using his name is doing so without permission.

Perhaps most important is that there is a serious concern that what Trisha is buying Pfanstiehls, Normarhs, EVGs, etc. from other eBay sellers, sticking them in little gold boxes and selling them as "Ed Saunders" styli. This isn't really speculative. When this possibility was first raised, it was possible to visit the seller's feedback profile and view her purchase history. There one could see lots of stylus purchases from various eBay sellers of styli.

It's no longer possible to do that. In fact, if you view her feedback now, you'll see that she hasn't bought anything from other eBay sellers for over a year. This might be because she's cleaned up her act but it might mean that she's buying other people's styli in ways that aren't so easy to detect.

There are just so many other options for buying replacement styli that it really doesn't make a lot of sense to deal with this very flaky outfit.

John

Just as important is that the business, such as it is, no longer has anything whatsoever to do with Ed Saunders. He bowed out a year or two ago and has stated here on AK and perhaps elsewhere that the person (Trisha Horne) currently using his name is doing so without permission.

Perhaps you've been reading different threads or forums, but all of Ed's postings on this forum have actually said that she has his full support as his designated successor. Here's one http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/stylus-for-shure-v15-type-iv.443480/ , and here's the other one http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ed-saunders-rplacement-stylus.469721/#post-6072966 .

So I say, stop trashing her reputation, and let her run her business as she wants to, since you know nothing about her. Trisha Horne is OK with me, even though I've never bought anything off her.:thumbsup:

Perhaps you've been reading different threads or forums, but all of Ed's postings on this forum have actually said that she has his full support as his designated successor. Here's one http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/stylus-for-shure-v15-type-iv.443480/ , and here's the other one http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ed-saunders-rplacement-stylus.469721/#post-6072966 .

So I say, stop trashing her reputation, and let her run her business as she wants to, since you know nothing about her. Trisha Horne is OK with me, even though I've never bought anything off her.:thumbsup:

I had a response to this typed and ready to go but I think it's best to avoid a pissing contest here so I'm out.

Ed Sanders as a resource has been history for a few years now, this forum is the best resource for guidance on recent reliable sources for good stylii at a given price point.

Hi Group

I am in the midst of my AR XA restoration project. I ordered a new stylus from Ed Saunders to use with my Shure M91E cart. It seemed like a moderately priced option ($30) and I'd read some good reviews. Anybody have that combo; what do you think? Also anybody order from them recently? I placed my order quite a while ago and have heard squat back...no confirmation, tracking etc. Did I send my payment to a defunct business?
Try to recoup your money, visit my thread on the "Tonar N91ED" stylus. And yes, it was played on an XA I just rehabbed.

Boy did I step in a pile....sorry, it wasn't my intention. Just looking for some good advice. So lets assume that my PayPal has paid $ toward nothing and start over. What would you recommend for a stylus replacement for a Shure M91E I'd like to keep the price below $40 if possible. Where can I get them?

Buy a cheap stylus on ebay, start saving and know when you buy a Jico for it you will be more than pleasantly surprised. I used a M91E from 1970-94 but always replaced with OE. :)
There is nothing cheap about playing records.

Carl

Get an EVG stylus replacement. I have one for my M91ED and it only cost about $20 shipped. Try eBay for them. They also have a fairly positive view from AK members.

Boy did I step in a pile....sorry, it wasn't my intention. Just looking for some good advice. So lets assume that my PayPal has paid $ toward nothing and start over. What would you recommend for a stylus replacement for a Shure M91E I'd like to keep the price below $40 if possible. Where can I get them?

No need to apologize..........some others of us have been bitten by the "ed saunders" mystique........and it wasn't a "pile" with us

There *was* a time when the Ed Saunders stylus was an actual thing that was good and a good value. Those days are apparently gone by about half a decade.

Get an EVG stylus replacement. I have one for my M91ED and it only cost about $20 shipped. Try eBay for them. They also have a fairly positive view from AK members.
I bought 4 of them when $12 shipped. Incredible value in an M91 for the bux, listening to one now on a Pioneer PL-L1000.

I bought one of the stylus from his website for my Shure M95ED, (same price I think). It's ok after about 100hrs or so, but I think I could of made a better decision and should of at least tried the EVG, (as mentioned above).

Back
Top Bottom