Ed Saunders

The EVG pm3136 are a excellent value, and a real nice stylus. If your TT has VTA adjustment, it can be made to sing real nice. I have 4 of them myself. Viva el Shure M91

Damn, I bought a Ed Saunders Hyper Elliptical for a Shure V15VxMR this week. Wish I'd found this first.

As an update and in defense of the actual Ed Saunders and the replacement stylii *he* sold...

I just did an A/B comparison between a genuine Ed Saunders V15 Type II stylus and a generic EVG Jico-made stylus for the V15 Type II as sold on the auction site by carolesneedles and others.

Test cut: "Carry On Til Tomorrow", track 1, side B, "Magic Christian Music" by Badfinger, a song with known difficulty with sibilance.

The EVG has just a tad more sibilance than the Ed Saunders at both 1.5 and 2 grams, the 2 gram mark being preferable overall.

I did this test about 6 years ago with the Ed and the original Shure that it was to replace and I could not tell the difference. However, I didn't trust my memory.

So, to conclude, there *was* a time that there was such a thing as an Ed Saunders' custom stylus that equalled the Shure at a bargain price. However, that train left the station long ago, along with Ed himself.

Well, if it ever arrives, let us know how it worked out anyway.

Just thought I'd update for folks like mjw21a that might be searching for information in the future.

My experience with the current Ed Saunders site was awful; Trisha Horn was my contact. After placing the order I received no confirmation of receipt, no tracking information...nada. After several days of no contact I emailed her directly; there is no phone number on the website. None of the emails were returned. Fortunately, I purchased through PayPal and sent an email through their Resolution Center to her again and at that point said that I'd like to cancel the order as the item had not been shipped and the seller was non responsive. I had also ordered the EVG as suggested above an no longer needed the stylus. Two days later I got an email from Trisha saying she had shipped the stylus despite the cancellation of the order?!?!?!

I won't bother with the rest of the BS that I had to deal with; in the end I was protected on the purchase by PayPal....I cant speak to what the current Ed Saunders stylus is like because I never heard it but I can tell you that I'd never attempt to do business with them again.

Jeeze................ Can't say I'm surprised though and, based on what others have said about dealing with Trisha, I can imagine what that was like for you.

Did PayPal by any chance say that they were going to place her account under review? They sometimes do that when they've had more than a couple of cases submitted to the Resolution Center.

And they typically don't play around. I had a case (not with Trisha Horne) where I received a partial shipment with no indication of any backorders and unfulfilled promises to ship the missing merchandise. PayPal couldn't get a response from them at all so they issued a full credit, including fro the stuff I did receive.

John

Jeeze................ Can't say I'm surprised though and, based on what others have said about dealing with Trisha, I can imagine what that was like for you.

Did PayPal by any chance say that they were going to place her account under review? They sometimes do that when they've had more than a couple of cases submitted to the Resolution Center.

I was thinking about asking if they could do anything for future folks who could be bamboozled into placing orders again but to be honest I was just glad it was over with. I'm back to listening to great records instead of dealing with shady online "business people"

Fortunately, I purchased through PayPal and sent an email through their Resolution Center to her again and at that point said that I'd like to cancel the order as the item had not been shipped and the seller was non responsive. I had also ordered the EVG as suggested above an no longer needed the stylus. Two days later I got an email from Trisha saying she had shipped the stylus despite the cancellation of the order?!?!?!

Perhaps she meant that she'd already shipped the stylus prior to receiving your request for cancellation? [Yeah, I know, devil's advocate and all that...]

I
I was thinking about asking if they could do anything for future folks who could be bamboozled into placing orders again but to be honest I was just glad it was over with. I'm back to listening to great records instead of dealing with shady online "busin

Last week I ordered a V15/type III replacement stylus from edsaunders.com and an hour later I find these posts. I have opened a dispute with Paypal saying that I believe she is misrepresenting her merchandise.

Same here ordered a V15 stylus and nothing! This little girl is going learn a big girl lesson!
I linked PayPal about the scamming and rip offs posted here and else where. She might get some time over this we're talking federal charges ;)

I got my money back!

https://www.ftc.gov/

Last edited:
I too wish I had read these comments before I placed an order with Trisha Horn for a V15 Type III replacement stylus. She is a con-artist as far as I can tell. I never got a confirmation of my order from her. I emailed her three times, and have lodged a complaint with PayPal, but they are telling me it will take 2 weeks to resolve the matter. I just hope I get my money back. So, I am still needing a reasonably priced replacement stylus for my cartridge, and the consensus seems to be to buy the Jico model; is that correct?

I did end up receiving my stylus from her thought it was sibilant as hell. Better off with a cheap EVG

After over 2 weeks, Trisha Horn finally emailed me, long after I decided to demand a refund. Her response was like that of a 13 year old child. She said she was distracted by graduations, but that she would be shipping my stylus soon. I told her to forget about it, and that there was no way I could trust her. So, after calling PayPal three times, they have promised to refund my money. I sent them information, including these Audiokarma pages to let them know that Trisha Horn is a fraud. They said they would flag her account and prohibit her from using PayPal. IMO, they should have done that long ago, especially after so many transaction disputes and complaints.
I will now purchase the Jico EVG. Thanks to all whom recommended it!

Thanks for your diligence in this matter. I ordered from her once and was able to successfully cancel my order. Although I was in no way sure that it was going to happen.

Last edited:
I purchased a replacement stylus for the Shure V15 Type IV HE phono cartridge recently from the edsaunders.com website, and am very satisfied. The stylus and surrounding assembly are nearly identical to the originally manufactured ones, which I also have on hand for this comparison.

I have a Ed Saunder VN35E stylus for my SHURE V15 Type 3 cartridge body and the ES replacement is built nothing like the original. It looks like any other cheap after-market replacement that is commonly found on ebay.

This has been discussed many times on here. Any Ed Saunders stylus that is purchased now will not be of the quality that Ed built his reputation on for so many years. He has not been associated with the use of his name in that context for years.

Back
Top Bottom