Eico's Owner Group

There is an EICO group on Yahoo.

I've got a few EICO pieces -- don't have one of the stereo power amps, though... wish I did.

3 Hf somethings(22? mono integrated 5881 6L6) 1 St84 1 St70's 1 Hf 85 2 St97's 1 St40 1 94? tuner, I sold an Af4, Hf87, Hf12, and Hf85.

Eico st84 front.jpg Eico st84 top back.jpg Eico st84 top.jpg16fb065d925d1d250c320358e68ac1cc.jpgP11010001.JPG

Last edited:
HF85 gutted rebuilt from chassis up all new parts with some modifications but circuit is stock. Repainted duplicolor met red.
Sounds wonderful.

I should mention that I literally grew up with a pair of HF-12s, and my own very first hifi component was a single HF-52 (mono integrated ppEL34 amplifier with top-class output iron), which my father had salvaged from a church PA system he was redoing.

I wish 1) I still had it and 2) that I had two of them (you know, while I am wishing)! :)

The current crop of EICOs at my house (more or less):

DSC_0198 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
HF81 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
DSC_9823 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
DSC_9824 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

The HF-81 was my main amp for serious listening 'til I went to SET amps about a decade ago.

EICO stuff was homely, but the company invested in the most important parts for hifi -- most notably the output transformers they used.

I HAD a beautiful NOSValves restored HF-81. That is until a former trusted friend up and disappeared with it. :no:

heh,,, I forgot this one... :p

DSCN5831 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
DSCN5826 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Several of the EICOs that live here have been procured from (or, in at least one case, kindly given to me by) several fine folks of AK. The AF4 and the HFT-90 have been in my family since they were new -- the HFT-90 (scroungy as it is today) is the one my father built when (or perhaps even before) I was an infant.

I found the ST-40 on the scrap metal pile at the Harvard, MA town "dump" (transfer station) -- fully and originally tubed... and in working condition. Go figure.

Eico Af4 brought back from oblivion with HFT-90 tuner and knight MPX

index.php

Thread about it
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=521362

Last edited:
Original HF-89 (non-A version). I rescued the poor thing from somebody who had put it into band service decades ago, but the output tube arcing was so severe that they ultimately resorted to using 10 watt cathode resistors (!!!!!) before finally just shelving it after it fried all the tubes. Thankfully, all the transformers survived just fine. Except for the addition of Screen Stability resistors and input tube heater balancing resistors, the unit is now fully restored, but box stock right down to the original surgistor used. It's given flawless performance in regular rotation for the last 7 years now, and also serves as a reference for the model as well. One of Eico's finest.

Dave

Attachments

• SAM_1336.jpg
    SAM_1336.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 122
  • SAM_1337.jpg
    SAM_1337.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I have an EICO mono FM tuner I rebuilt,,,, and a signal tracer which has become my go to troubleshooting tool...

I just missed picking up an hf-89 a few years back. I'm still kicking myself but the hf-87 still packs a punch. Beutiful restoration job! Congratz!!

Back
Top Bottom