Elecrtonics-salon dummy load

Can't find it on amazon. You sure you have the right name ?
Elecrtonics-salon dummy load

From the picture it sure looks like the ones I used and they have very high distortion.

Im using these. I have nothing to compare them with but many of the units I've tested can get down to the noise floor on my THD meter. So I dont think they suck anyway.

https://www.parts-express.com/8-ohm-200w-non-inductive-dummy-load-resistor--019-030

Its seems those green ones are no good or at least hit and miss. Without test equipment such as a distortion analyzer or spectrum analyzer it likely won't matter. Good or bad you can at least do a loaded test without blowing the neighbors away. What are you planning on using them for? Basic troubleshooting and test?

Probably just big wirewound resistors. These are generally fine for most use, unless you want super detailed measurements of things. The bit of inductance they provide might skew measurements on extremely low distortion amps. If you just need something to connect for basic function tests, you're fine. Just be aware that if you pump a lot of power in, these will get quite hot.

Mine are small versions of the above, 50 watt 16 ohms in parallel to make 8 ohm 100 watt. They have to be mounted to a heat sink get that rating though. Junk car amplifiers make a nice donor of heat sink material, the whole case is a hunk of finned aluminum and they generally have some sort of cover that will serve for mounting input terminals to.

I think I get it, it must be such crappy resistance wire that it is spooled on going back and forth. Wow, I have never seen that kind of construction. Possibly the reason for the high distortion?

BillWojo

its probably wound in two directions to cancel out the inductance. Not sure how well it works. For my purposes, my inductive wirewounds are not inductive enough to matter. Tube amps simply cannot produce low enough distortion figures to ever "see" the dummy load's contribution, if any.

Back
Top Bottom