Electro Voice Sentry III restoration

I have asked in another thread, what are you using for ADS replacement speaker gaskets?

When I got a set of woofers back from Richard So, he included a set of quarter by quarter foam insulation with sticky back. The tweeters and midrange, I hand made using .... believe it or not, intertube. It was the closest match to what I could get using the originals as examples. Worked quite nicely as a matter of fact.

When I got a set of woofers back from Richard So, he included a set of quarter by quarter foam insulation with sticky back. The tweeters and midrange, I hand made using .... believe it or not, intertube. It was the closest match to what I could get using the originals as examples. Worked quite nicely as a matter of fact.
Thank you Spiceman, I sent woofers, midrange and tweeter to Richard. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised when they arrive.

Intertube?

Yes sir, as in tire innertube. Spell check changed the spelling on m sorry. Not sure Richard has any gaskets for the tweets and Mids?
Clever! That’s the trick! I asked Richard several times and got no response, but perhaps they will be included as someone else indicated. Also a dumb question if you or someone else has experience, should I use solder with flux or without for the terminals?

Clever! That’s the trick! I asked Richard several times and got no response, but perhaps they will be included as someone else indicated. Also a dumb question if you or someone else has experience, should I use solder with flux or without for the terminals?

Sorry I wasn't more explisit, I'm on my phone at work and had 2 employees who forgot how to do their jobs. I'll get on my PC tomorrow and give you some great options I've learned after.

Forgive me for not getting back to you LLRuss, Works been challenging to say the least. Honestly, never recommend soldering to speaker terminals for nothing more then just the ease of removal if you ever have to service the drivers. It's just as easy soldering connectors to the wires and doing it the way manufactures do it. But you certainty can use flux on terminals if you want. Will help reduce oxidation over the years. I ended up using innertube on the Mids and Tweeters only because I was stuck at the time for what to use. The original gasket was a very very thin piece of rubber material. I have subsequently found other materials that worked out very well for the Tweeters and midranges. That foam protector they use to cover Flat Screen TV's and various electronics in packages works VERY well!! And it's thin enough that it won't cause the Tweeters or Midranges from rising above the baffle. I have a template I used to cut the material exactly as the factory did it.

As far as the woofers, what Richard sent me was essentually witherstripping that you can get from any hardware store. However you can get Gasket stripping from Parts Express. It's a bit higher density and will work just fine for Woofers. https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-gasketing-tape-1-8-x-1-2-x-50-ft-roll--260-542

Forgive me for not getting back to you LLRuss, Works been challenging to say the least. Honestly, never recommend soldering to speaker terminals for nothing more then just the ease of removal if you ever have to service the drivers. It's just as easy soldering connectors to the wires and doing it the way manufactures do it. But you certainty can use flux on terminals if you want. Will help reduce oxidation over the years. I ended up using innertube on the Mids and Tweeters only because I was stuck at the time for what to use. The original gasket was a very very thin piece of rubber material. I have subsequently found other materials that worked out very well for the Tweeters and midranges. That foam protector they use to cover Flat Screen TV's and various electronics in packages works VERY well!! And it's thin enough that it won't cause the Tweeters or Midranges from rising above the baffle. I have a template I used to cut the material exactly as the factory did it.

As far as the woofers, what Richard sent me was essentually witherstripping that you can get from any hardware store. However you can get Gasket stripping from Parts Express. It's a bit higher density and will work just fine for Woofers. https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-gasketing-tape-1-8-x-1-2-x-50-ft-roll--260-542
Thank much Spiceman! Speakers arrived today from Richard and look brand new. Will install next weekend and then send off the other speakers. I also take opportunity to thank the OP for my high jacking his thread. This said, I am inspired by his work and as I head closer to retirement, restoring speakers is a gratifying hobby of wood, electronics and sound/appearance satisfaction. I read and re-read every post here.

Oh Shoot, forgive me @RS Steve. I was doing this from my phone and not paying attention to the thread. I should have re-directed.

Back on topic:
Did you get that replacement tweeter in yet?

Lady still has her's up for sale on the Clist. I'm suspecting they'll be there for a while. I look at them daily.

Oh Shoot, forgive me @RS Steve. I was doing this from my phone and not paying attention to the thread. I should have re-directed.

Back on topic:
Did you get that replacement tweeter in yet?

Lady still has her's up for sale on the Clist. I'm suspecting they'll be there for a while. I look at them daily.
It is on its way, but had to come from Colorado so has taken some time to arrive. Been listening to the Klipsch Heresy's while waiting, took a video and was going to post it but once I listened to it decided not to. YUK! Miss the Sentry III's and can't wait to get them fired back up.

It is on its way, but had to come from Colorado so has taken some time to arrive. Been listening to the Klipsch Heresy's while waiting, took a video and was going to post it but once I listened to it decided not to. YUK! Miss the Sentry III's and can't wait to get them fired back up.

Heh ... can't say as I blame you, I feel the very same about posting my ADS's. However, I've not given up .... gonna get that right one way or another. Some have all the luck recording with their phones. Mine ... it's programmed to soften loud noises and increase loudness in soft noises. Technology .. meh. Smiling. Just saying though, we all understand and it's mostly just for fun. I've enjoyed what you did post that's for sure.

Edited,
Ever notice how slow the mail is when your really REALLY wanting something. Twice as long I swear.

Finally received my replacement tweeter, back to sounding great again! I originally thought my left ear had lost some high frequency hearing, but upon further inspection noticed the blown tweeter. Happy to have found an original and not have to settle for aftermarket diaphragms. Back to enjoying my Sentry III's now!

20190122_213030.jpg

Well damn Steve, I have a ST350A sitting here but I hadn't checked this thread as of late. You probably misremembered my BT listing for EViv drivers. you want a spare back-up, let me know.

Well damn Steve, I have a ST350A sitting here but I hadn't checked this thread as of late. You probably misremembered my BT listing for EViv drivers. you want a spare back-up, let me know.
Yeah, noticed that after finding one and ordering it, maybe I will grab it as a spare down the road if it stays put.

I have not been overly impressed with these speakers playing CD's, bass doesn't seem to keep up with the upper ranges of the frequency spectrum. Playing vinyl has shown to have better balance, so I decided to pull out the old "go to" test CD most everyone has used at some point, (P. F. Dark Side Of The Moon). It showed me that all CD's are most certainly not created equal! I knew this already, but it was re affirmed in a big way. These Sentry III's can sure deliver some boom when called upon, and as much as I loved my Klipsch Belle's that used to reside here, the Sentry III's are most certainly an upgrade in sound. I have not tried any really good recordings from my smooth jazz collection yet, I'm expecting to be really impressed as earlier warned.

I'm looking forward to biamping these at some point in the future along with installing better looking grill cloth, it's been a rewarding journey so far though. Thanks go out to all that have helped and followed the restoration!

Anyone have any information on converting an interface A B or C into a SEQ or D version? It seems the D version is almost as rare as the SEQ.

I was able to purchase an interface D EQ for these Sentry III speakers, I will need to restore the EQ most likely but feel lucky to have found one. I have read that the "D" EQ is very similar to the SEQ that is supposed to go with the III's, let's hope it all works out.

Just from memory the III's and the D's SEQ is interchangeable.

Are you running using a single amp or Bi-amping?

Back
Top Bottom