Eleven III restoration. A couple issues and what to replace

JAL413

I've had an Eleven III for a few years in storage and have finally pulled it out to work on it. I hooked it up to some cheap Sony speakers and used it for a week or so to get a baseline. I've ordered caps for the power supply board so far. It's had some sloppy work done to it in the past. Also ordered the filter caps. A few things I noticed:

1. It wouldn't always automatically go stereo from mono after changing stations. I'd have to give the input selector a jiggle or tap the Dolby FM switch to get stereo to kick in.
2. The FM muting button seems to have no audible effect on or off when switching stations. Should it?
3. After a few hours on at low volume, the left channel (I think) would make a periodic pop
4. The L/R signal/power meters are unequal, even when mono, and that's with the dolby knobs set equal.
5. The balance knob doesn't seem to have much of any effect until almost completely full left or right

I've read through the KR-9600 threads a lot, and though this is a completely different animal, I was wondering if there is anything worth replacing/upgrading preemptively while I'm in there. Does anything tend to run hot and wear out like the resistors on the 9600? Rk24 on the power supply board has been replaced and the PCB is blackened in that area, but that could be from soldering.

Any suggestions cleaning the circuit boards? I've tried IPA, denatured alcohol, and CRC QD electronics cleaner with an acid brush. None have had any effect and leave the board with a white film. Hesistant to blast with Simple green.

For now hitting all the switches with Deoxit and replacing the brittle light panel. Will be ordering LEDs.

Thanks!

Bump...

So I replaced the filter caps and cleaned the switches and pots with Deoxit. I'm replacing all of the bulbs with LEDs so I wanted to try out the first one. As soon as I switched the unit on, one of the two fuses at the transformer blew. It appears that they feed the transformer in parallel when running on 120V and if only one is blowing, the problem should be upstream of the primary coil. Am I reasoning that correctly? If the problem was downstream of the transformer, both fuses would blow?

Back
Top Bottom