Emission Labs solid plate Globe 45: Outcome

MikE

Color Me Gone
As many of you know I had entered into a aggreement, with 6 others, to have a European tube manufacturer build a custom globe 45 output tube. After a few months the tubes were shipped stateside and of the nine pairs, all but one tube arrived intact. My perfect pair was shipped but when received were very badly damaged, even though the packaging appeared both adequete and shipping carton unmarked - mysterious. So after contacting the project coordinator who shipped the tubes to me, and receiving the required paperwork from him, I filed my insurance claim with USPS.

Not having ever filed a USPS claim and considering the value and circumstances I was a bit concerned about the outcome. I polled my "tube buddies" and even traded emails with our own USPS representitive Kim G. There were conflicting opinions on the possible outcome. I provided all the applicable paperwork, including a 16 page report with emails from the other parties in the project and photos of the tubes before/after shipping. Considering the many complaints on shipping carriers I'm happy to report the fair treatment on a unfortunate circumstance. Yes, I learned a few days ago that my claim was accepeted and today that I would be receiving a FULL REFUND+postage. I'd like to thank Ed Sawyer for his professionalism with the project and my claim, and Kim for his professional insight and suggestions.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to enjoy [and report] on the tubes but we're fortunate that Sasaki's tubes arrived intact and will share with us his thoughts on the globe EML 45's vs the many other varieties he's used in his Fi. Considering the nature of the product I won't be pursueing a replacement pair [even if available] instead at some point I'll get another pair of the EML solid plates or perhaps look into one of the new 45's coming out.

MikE

Good to hear they paid up...

Mike -

sorry of course that the tubes were damaged in transit but good to hear that USPS did the right thing - of all the carriers I have dealt with I have always had good luck with them as far as claims go on the very few occasions I've had need to file them. Keep in touch, thanks for the update,

-Ed Sawyer

Mike,

That is a real shame about the damage. Those tubes would have looked like $2500.00 in your amp there. That company sure packed their product well! I cannot imagine that the factory only made 6 of those tubes, being a custom. I'll bet they made twice that many to assure success. Why not contact them and see if they will sell you the ones they held back?

I just bought a bunch of stuff from PartsExpress and UPS completely lost one of the two boxes. It contained eight Dayton 8" woofers I'm going to try in a speaker design. When I finally learned of the error it was already threee weeks since PE shipped the goods. I contacted them and they are sending me a replacement shipment, but this time by a different carrier. They are going to duke it out with UPS. Those PartsExpress folk are really good to deal with in my experience.

Rob

Rob, they made nine [9] pairs plus a few extras. So 18 tubes. Apparently, the process was a bit more difficult than they antisicipated. I understand there is another pair available, should I want it, but honestly that is not the case at this time. Good luck with your UPS claim. MikE

I am not a tube guy so no knowledge here but I would be really leery of anything bearing the name "Hand made in the Czech Republic" Do they even have electricity and running water over there?

Originally posted by THOR
I am not a tube guy so no knowledge here but I would be really leery of anything bearing the name "Hand made in the Czech Republic" Do they even have electricity and running water over there?

oooh boy:rolleyes:

Rectifiers

Did you get a chance yet to sample those 5u4 rectifiers? Just curious. MikE

Originally posted by THOR

Actually, the Czech Republic is responsible for some of today's best-sounding and best-built audiophile gear - no kidding!

Of course, their production techniques are often 50 years behind what we're used to nowadays in the U.S., but that's fine with me! Have you ever compared the build quality of 1950s American automobiles with the build quality of today's vehicles? Well, that's exactly what several high-end companies in the Czech Republic are currently offering - the audio equivalent of classic '50s cars...

Originally posted by BrianB
Actually, the Czech Republic is responsible for some of today's best-sounding and best-built audiophile gear - no kidding!

Of course, their production techniques are often 50 years behind what we're used to nowadays in the U.S., but that's fine with me! Have you ever compared the build quality of 1950s American automobiles with the build quality of today's vehicles? Well, that's exactly what several high-end companies in the Czech Republic are currently offering - the audio equivalent of classic '50s cars...

Touche' ;)

Originally posted by BrianB

Such as?
Outside of kron's and Vaic's stuff, I'm not familiar with alot of others. What brands of *gear* are being made? Are they more reliable than some of the tubes that come out of there?
Jack

Yes, Czech optics and glassware were considered among the finest, if not the finest, in the world. Pre-war and later domination by outside forces.

Originally posted by Jack G
Such as?
Outside of kron's and Vaic's stuff, I'm not familiar with alot of others. What brands of *gear* are being made? Are they more reliable than some of the tubes that come out of there?
Jack

Aside from the tubes (which are often quite unique in design) - and some of the outstanding Czech amps being built around these tubes - one of my favorite examples of Czech audio engineering is the Kuzma line of turntables and tonearms. For example, check out Kuzma's entry-level table, the Stabi S, which is machined out of solid brass. It looks way cool, sounds incredible, is relatively affordable - and it'll last a lifetime!

Kuzma

Kuzma is SLOVENIAN product

Kuzma TT comes from a little country named Slovenia and not from Czech Republic!!!
Slovenia is one of the states that formed out of former Yugoslavia!!

Back
Top Bottom