EMIT & EMIM Tweeter Diaphragm Repair How To

I know this is an old thread, but it appears to be the place to post. I have a Kappa Video Center speaker as part of my home theater system. The other day I noticed that the woofer foams were starting to fail so I pulled it out to replace them. To remove the woofers I also had to take out the tweeter. One of the screws pulled onto the membrane by the tweeter magnet and broke one of the metal traces. The tweeter appears to be a sealed unit and I am not the best with a solder gun although I'd be skeptical of how well that would work anyway. Maybe a tiny piece of aluminum or steel foil.

The point is has anyone had this problem and successfully repaired or should I just get a new tweeter?

That can happen so easy as those magnets are strong. Is this an emit r? You can try the window defogger repair trick found earlier in this thread. It is conductive paint and can bridge the space. Maybe someone will chime in who has taken them apart.

I just Googled Kappa video center, is it an EMIT-R?
Like sp mentioned the rear window defroster wire fix might work.
You'll need a defroster wire repair kit, steady hands, maybe some sort of magnifying apparatus and try your luck.
OR if that's a standard EMIT-R just get one off ebay and be done.

I just Googled Kappa video center, is it an EMIT-R?
Like sp mentioned the rear window defroster wire fix might work.
You'll need a defroster wire repair kit, steady hands, maybe some sort of magnifying apparatus and try your luck.
OR if that's a standard EMIT-R just get one off ebay and be done.

Thanks. The window defogger paint/wire seems like the best bet. I've broken speakers because I was not careful but this seems to have been just bad luck, although can you say aluminum screws?

Thanks. The window defogger paint/wire seems like the best bet. I've broken speakers because I was not careful but this seems to have been just bad luck, although can you say aluminum screws?
Bridging the break with a very thin, short piece of foil taped over the break works like a charm.
Requires a bit more skill on an EMIT-r, than the straight runs on the "regular" Emit but the same procedure.

After the repair check the impedance. All the emits I've repaired the impedance went up and the never played as loud as a non repaired one.

The method I use to bridge a break does not increase the impedance noticeably enough to notice a difference in loudness.
Perhaps maybe if I bridged a few breaks but most breaks I've encountered are just one.
IMG_1688.JPG

5D9A8C01-3C39-42BD-A435-41574156B1F8.jpeg

This EMIM seems to have failed where the front and back traces are connected through the diaphragm. I tried a soldering iron on the joint, but only succeeded in melting things. I haven’t been able to fix it.

(This is a spare, although a broken one, so at least I am able to listen to my speakers).

need an advice

I want to clean rust on my EMIT Tweeter on Qe Speakers.
Can I pull out from it core and clean the rust out of my Qe Speakers ?

Please give suggestion
Thanks

need an advice

Please give suggestion
Thanks
I’m not quite sure what you are asking, but you can certainly remove the EMIT from the speaker, disassemble the EMIT, clean off the rust, reassemble and reinstall. You only need to use a simple jig for disassembling/reassembling the EMIT.

need an advice

Please give suggestion
Thanks
I don't think you can clean that rust, surely it has damaged the finish already. A pict will help. But I'd leave it alone. If it's a lot of rust, you won't clean it. And if it's just a little bit, let it alone. You can damage an EMIT in a bad movement, the magnets are very strong. Read post #82

Don't use steel wool or similar. The metal particles will adhere to the magnets forever.

I've got an Emit-R 902-6769 that I believe is blown because there's a lot of static on high treble tracks, is this repairable or is there any place online besides eBay that I can find a replacement?

First thing you should is try swapping EMITs between left and right speakers and see if the problem stays with the speaker or travels with the EMIT.

One of our members here makes and sells EMIT replacement diaphragms. Assuming yours is defective, that may be all you need, although if the magnets are deteriorating, replacement is probably the way to go. Once you've done the above test, if you've determined it's definitely the EMIT, post some close-up pics of the bad one.

I've got an Emit-R 902-6769

One of our members here makes and sells EMIT replacement diaphragms

I'm pretty sure Bobbyd38 only makes replacement diaphragms for the original EMITs. Only source of original replacements is going to be the auction sites or one of the third party replacements such as the one from Midwest Speakers. I've never tried that one so I don't know how close it sounds to the original.

I'm pretty sure Bobbyd38 only makes replacement diaphragms for the original EMITs.
You're right, of course; I missed the "R". And EMIT-Rs are pretty difficult to disassemble anyway compared with the standard EMIT, so I'm not sure if a replacement diaphragm would ever be viable.

So I finally had time to take a look at it and the problem stays with the speaker and does not travel with the tweeter. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also, a screw was sucked onto the thin plastic diaphragm from the magnet and dented it a tiny bit, I'm not sure if this will affect the sound.

https://i.imgur.com/ZI6wduA.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom