Emotiva BASX or Cromn xls 1502

iramegdal

i have an Emotiva BASX Tuner, Amp, DAC. I am currently powering it with a very large Pioneer Home Theater Receiver, the only part of which works is the power amp (about 120WPC).
Thinking of upgrading the amp. Crown XLS 1502 or Emoiva basx power amp. Thoughts about these 2?

Op why are you looking to upgrade? There is no material difference between 120wpc and 150wpc. Each 3db increase in sound output requires twice the power. So the crown will give you an extra 3db. What speakers are you driving? How loud do you listen to music? How big is the room and what is the listening distance? These factors will help establish the amount of power you need. There is also the debate about the quality of the amplifier and such but that is a whole other conversation. First establish how much power you need.

Op why are you looking to upgrade? There is no material difference between 120wpc and 150wpc. Each 3db increase in sound output requires twice the power. So the crown will give you an extra 3db. What speakers are you driving? How loud do you listen to music? How big is the room and what is the listening distance? These factors will help establish the amount of power you need. There is also the debate about the quality of the amplifier and such but that is a whole other conversation. First establish how much power you need.

I listen primarily to classical and jazz at low to moderate volume. Will drive completely rebuilt (drivers and crossovers) EPI 150s or Signet SL 260's. My current power amp is really a Pioneer home theater receiver, with the ability to use a preamp, on which only the amp section works. I fear that with all else not working on the receiver the sound quality of the amp might not be ideal. I thought that it might be worthwhile to change it out for something new. However, I have no desire to make a purchase that will not add any sound quality benefit. Room is 20' X 25', but volume is not a big issue.

Not sure how sensitive your speakers are but you can use this to calculate how much power you need: http://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/calculators

As for a new amp vs your avr, that's debatable. If it works, doesn't clip or inject noise into the signal then I wouldn't replace it. You won't really know if a new amp it better unless you try one. It sounds like you have the emotiva integrated amp, ta-100, and are using it as a preamp. Why are you not using its on board amp?

Totally FWIW, I was suprised that Crown tech support responded to my emailed questions about the XLS1502 (vs others) quickly and competently.
(1502 is perfect for sub duty, turns out...and almost no fan noise & light as a feather.)
OTOH, I also have an older 5 Ch Emotiva amp I'm using for surrounds (as well as UM200 pre), and it has been flawless.
Emo also repaired my UMC-200 when it went nuts, no charge, and fedex both ways.
Both offer free returns (I believe) so maybe get one of each and pick the one you like the best?
Jazz and classical are a tough combo to do well in the same setup, IMHO.
Have fun!

Not sure how sensitive your speakers are but you can use this to calculate how much power you need: http://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/calculators

As for a new amp vs your avr, that's debatable. If it works, doesn't clip or inject noise into the signal then I wouldn't replace it. You won't really know if a new amp it better unless you try one. It sounds like you have the emotiva integrated amp, ta-100, and are using it as a preamp. Why are you not using its on board amp?

I am embarrassed to say that I can offer no logical explanation. I just want separates in this set up. If I can continue to use the Pioneer, I will do so because I like its look and heft. If I can improve the sound, I will do so. However, opinion seems to be that improvement is questionable.
I do not have access to the set up now, but will post the model number of the receiver this weekend. I am having fun with this set up.

My impressions of XPA line Emotiva gear was that it was analytical and bright. It did not convey the soul of the imaging, no synergy for imaging. I remain dubious that they have increased sound quality in their entry level gear to such an extent that it surpasses the XPA stuff from a few years ago. For set ups where 100+ watts per channel is not needed, Nad has surprised me with their integrated amps. For separates, you can't beat Emotiva's prices, but you can get better sound quality.

Speaking only for the Crown XLS 1502, I just bought one for Woofer duty on some QLS-1 speakers. It's an awesome piece. Love the fact the fan doesn't activate unless your really pushing it. It's light as a feather and the programming features are very nice. It's got plenty of power and sounds fine to me, running thru Anthem Pre2L SE. I'm using an XPA-2 gen 2 on the top. The whole thing sounds incredible.

I can highly recommend the Crown.

I listen primarily to classical and jazz at low to moderate volume. Will drive completely rebuilt (drivers and crossovers) EPI 150s or Signet SL 260's. My current power amp is really a Pioneer home theater receiver, with the ability to use a preamp, on which only the amp section works. I fear that with all else not working on the receiver the sound quality of the amp might not be ideal. I thought that it might be worthwhile to change it out for something new. However, I have no desire to make a purchase that will not add any sound quality benefit. Room is 20' X 25', but volume is not a big issue.

The only way you can find out regarding sound quality is to audition the choices yourself. Our hearing is the same as fingerprints, No two are the same. If you cannot audition personally, you will have to get them home and utilize the home trial. Most are 30 days, but Music Direct's home trial is 60 days. I had to do this when I was upgrading my speakers.

I hope this helps.

I think replacing the AVR with a power amp is a good idea. Among what has been mentioned, I'll +1 the Emo A-300 as a likely choice. For me, old Crown yes depending which model, but new, not buying into it as a good home stereo choice, with the possible exception as a subwoofer pusher.

Currently using a Crown XLS 2500 driving the main speakers and loving it. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever about the sound. Crown XLS amps have received rave reviews from the audiophile press (see Andrew Robinson's reviews) . Doubtful that you would hear a difference with the Emotiva, which are also very good amps.

I have owned, in the past, Phase Linear 400, Adcom GFA-555, Parasound HCA-800II, Kenwood Basic M1A and Carver amps.

I use a Crown XLS-1500 in the garage system and an XPA-5 in the HT. Both offer advantages - it all depends what your priorities are.

The Crown has more power and arguably better midrange focus, but fails at the top end. No air in the top octave at all. It does, however, run cool.

Not sure what the OP ended up doing but I thought I'd update from my last post. My system has changed, the QLS and the Emotiva are gone. I'm using the Crown 1502 as a sole power source to a pair of Infinity Renaissance 90 speakers for the last 3 months or so.

IMHO, it's a great amp and I've had zero issues with it even after my speaker wires touched while I was fooling around, the amp went into protect mode, quick on and off it came right back to life. I've never heard the fan, never even at lower listening levels. As far as sound, which is always a debate. I think it's as clean and black as can be. Possibly what is in the chain has influence on what you get. I'm able to pick out the difference different tubes bring to the table which I find very cool. My Anthem, Amperex 6922's and the 90's with the 1502 is a very good combination.

I'd buy another from this line in a heartbeat !

And if your older, it's nice to move around 11 Pounds over a 100 pound amp.

Back
Top Bottom