EMotiva ERC1, ERC2, ERC3 ? Experiences?

Erc-3

Set mine up yesterday, so not much experience. Compared to old DVD player in to DAC in HK 3490, sound is superior in every way. More detailed and better low end.
First movement of Mahler 5th was astounding.

The two Oppos I own (an ancient DV-981HD and BDP-93) both play SACD and HDCD and work well.
I do like the Emotiva XDA-2 DAC I have hooked up to an Airport Express for my streaming lossless files ...

No sweat? :D

Seriously though; you can buy an Oppo 103 for $399 (refurb directly from Oppo and with full warranty), and don't have to send it back ever. And it will automatically upgrade itself. :)
The Emo CD player might have better sound quality (or not) @ playing CDs, and it is a very respectable choice one can make.

* And the Oppo too you can check free for 30 days. ...Plus, best customer service in the entire audio industry.

Last edited:
Very pleased with Emotiva ERC3. Got it for the large collection of rebook CD's I have built up over the years. It has me listening again. I've only had it about a week, so will report in again after a few months. It appears to be very well built. Here are a couple of nudies.

Attachments

• img_0256.jpg
    img_0256.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 41
  • img_0257.jpg
    img_0257.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I also just purchased an ERC 3. To new to report on the sound still doing burn in. Although I must say, I am a little disappointed in that it is a bit noisy. I can hear the CD spinning noise while running. Will report back when I have performed some serious listing time.

Recant

AK world, I need to amend my last statement as to the noise that I was experiencing while playing CD's yesterday. I put in a couple of CDs today, on my brand new emotive ERC 3 and strangely there is much less noise coming from the CD player than yesterday? In fact it's very quiet?

I'll report back in a couple of weeks when it's good and broken as to the sound.

AK world, I need to amend my last statement as to the noise that I was experiencing while playing CD's yesterday. I put in a couple of CDs today, on my brand new emotive ERC 3 and strangely there is much less noise coming from the CD player than yesterday? In fact it's very quiet?

I'll report back in a couple of weeks when it's good and broken as to the sound.

as an erc3 owner, I have found the same thing as you. The noise is CD dependent. if the cd isn't completely balanced, the player is seriously loud. It is the one serious downfall on this player. I think it sounds great. But they should have dealt with the vibration issue. I had similar problems with my erc2. its an emotiva thing. one of the the only reasons I have reservations recommending this player sometimes.

I've got a Marantz cd carousel that I recently bought used for $60. Sounds very nice with a good sound stage. Completely silent(unless swapping cd's at which time it's very quick) as is my Opp 95.

Keithpgdrb, you are correct, I found out that it is CD dependent. Mine made so much noise that I sent it back to Emotive. Very disappointed with a so called "Next level"??? I played the same CD's in my 10 and 15 year old CD players and I did not hear any noise like the ERC-3 was making.

I will report back when they send it back. :no:

yeah. I decided to just live with mine. a drag indeed. but I haven't had a lot of luck with their quality control. The player sounds great though.

I've had my ERC-3 for about 8 months and I never really paid attention to it enough to see if was making noise while playing. I do have it playing now with no sound from any source in room going and I can't hear anything coming from it. I'll have to pay attention to it from time to time to see if I can hear anything.

yeah, its pretty obvious. but again, its cd dependent for me. some are just less balanced. There are machines that can fix that, but its expensive.

Help choose ERC2 or 3

I know this is an old thread, but I need answers. I'm going to purchase a ERC2 or 3. I think the idea of a slot loader is pretty cool, no tray to worry about. But what is the main difference between the units spec wise? I would guess the the 3 is better, I mean it would make sense that the company would improve each model right? Feedback please.

I had an ERC2. It didn't sound bad, but I preferred an Oppo 105 over it. Of course there's a big price difference between the two, but I found the ERC2 a bit glitchy at times (wouldn't read some cd's) and the transport was really noisy when playing. Built like a proverbial tank though.

I know this is an old thread, but I need answers. I'm going to purchase a ERC2 or 3. I think the idea of a slot loader is pretty cool, no tray to worry about. But what is the main difference between the units spec wise? I would guess the the 3 is better, I mean it would make sense that the company would improve each model right? Feedback please.

Have you read my earlier threads? I purchased a NEW ERC3 in Dec 2014, and I put in use for a couple of weeks, and I had to send it back to Emotive to repear the loud spinning noise when in use. I will report back when Emotive returns my new( and hopefully repaired) ERC3

I can't comment on the ERC2, but I would do some thorough research.

ERC3 is not a slot loader, it is a tray design.

Received an email from Emotiva. According to them the problem was a bad CD transport. it has been replaced, and I should have the unit back next week. I will report more when I get a chance to listen to it

Stay tuned

Update on my ERC3. After a 3 1/2 week quite I finally received my supposedly repaired ERC3. After the first couple of CDs it sounded fine however when I began to play on to tracks 5 or 6 or above it began skipping it wouldn't play any CDs above track 4 or 5. What serious disappointment. Don't waste your money on one of these CD players. I promptly returned it after three days trying to get it to work.

man that sucks. They are just not good at fixing things over there. if you get it new, you are "Probably" ok. at least I was. But they don't have a very good track record with me either since my etc 2. so sad. they could really be awesome. They must not put a lot of money into their repair people. I think the units are full of quality engineering, but......

Emotiva comparison

I used to have a 2. Bought the 3 a couple of months ago as a backup to an Onkyo C7000R. I can tell you the 3 is definitely better all around than the 2. Smoother loader and reads disks faster and no problems playing any disk. Fuller and more detailed than the 2; also more depth imaging than the 2(though neither is as smooth or dimensional as the Onkyo). Never had the 1 but I would not expect much difference from the 2 since both share the same basic design (Gen 1 I presume; the 3 is labeled Gen 2). But there is one major difference between 2 and the 3 - Whereas the 2's analog stage is discrete the 3 uses op amps - OPA2134 from what I can decipher which is one of the better ones I suppose. I'm sure that alone does not account for the sonic difference but the power supplies of the two versions seem identical. Also, for what it's worth (and I could be wrong) but the chipset of the 3 (AD1955 + OPA2134) mirrors that of the Cambridge 840C. I'm by no means a fan of the Cambridge (I've heard it and don't care for the sound) but it is interesting that they share major circuit parts and that pairing maybe particularly synergistic.

Last edited:
man that sucks. They are just not good at fixing things over there. if you get it new, you are "Probably" ok. at least I was. But they don't have a very good track record with me either since my etc 2. so sad. they could really be awesome. They must not put a lot of money into their repair people. I think the units are full of quality engineering, but......

But if you fail to have those quality components and engineering work, then what's the point!

:no::thumbsdn:I have a 2, I have to admit mine was apparently the problem child. I had an issue with one channel coming in late with a pop and noise in one channel (I don't remember if it was the same). Sent it back, The late come on of the channel was fixed but noise was still present. Sent it back a second time. They sent back a refurb instead of mine. It seemed good for about a year. the one day I went to turn on and I got a static shock and the display went dead. At this point I think it wouldn't eject disc either. I opened cover. Cd mechanism was missing screws to cover, which I guess was a plus because it just lifted off and I took my cd out then put back on and closed. Sent it back once again, They sent it back repaired but cd mechanism (loading and unloading) got very loud. Contacted them and they blew me off. So now it works fine except for the loading , ejecting noise and it will play sacds. Sonically and function wise it is very good. I was on the hook for 3 return shipments and it wasn't quite right when I got it back. In fairness I think they made some effort to make it right. The fact that it still isn't and I had to get it fixed 3 times and pay for the return shipping. I personally wouldn't buy another. Others seem to have had better luck. I guess I got a lemon

Back
Top Bottom