Emotiva PT-100 Review

musichal

poet emeritus
Well, last night about midnight, Christine and I decided to replace the FM-defunct Adcom GTP-450 in the bedroom with the new Emotiva. On my way back there to supervise the task, I fell. Hard. Slammed my already-challenged spleen against the edge of an end table, my right shin against the walker I was using, which fell right along with me, and doubled back all the smaller toes of my left foot. This rather trivial event had a quelling effect on our determination to connect the Emotiva Preamp/DAC/Tuner at that time, so...

Fast forward to now. Today I dragged my bruised and battered body back to the bedroom, along with the dastardly walker (even now I'm eyeing it with suspicion) along with Christine and we got the preamp set in place and correctly connected. So, this initial report is a preliminary one, with a full review to follow in a couple days or so, when I'll have had more listening time.

Some of you may recall that I recently bought the more expensive XSP-1 Generation 2 preamp, which I love, but which I highly criticized for it's thin blue display characters that are very difficult (impossible for me) to read across the room. I'm happy to report that for this new, more basic model that Emotiva listened to me and made the characters on this much bolder, and easy to read across the room - Emotiva even sent me a note admitting that it was my AK review of the XSP-1.2 that led to the improvement, which of course is only a damn lie I just made up.

But I'm happy with the display. For $299 you don't get a metal remote control, but the plastic one is not of the credit-card size, which I hate. The buttons have good tactile feedback, and the size and shape fit the hand well. Few buttons, which is fine by me. Three digital inputs, two line-level unbalanced analog inputs, and a phono input with a switch on the rear to set gain for either MC or MM cartridges, and the built-in FM-only tuner comprise all source selections, which cannot be chosen directly, but requires switching sequentially through them. At least they allow this in either direction, so once you get used to it you'll learn the quickest route.

The menu is a little bit awkward, but not really. Pretty straightforward - most readers here could figure it out without instructions. But you press Menu and navigate the few choices with left, right, up, down buttons on the remote, or with front panel buttons if you prefer. So it takes two or three presses to adjust bass, treble or balance - controls I really don't use, so they could be much more difficult to access and I wouldn't care. I did have a little difficulty with FM presets, but still figured it out w/o the manual. It does come with a printed manual in regular English.

There are not a lot of bells and whistles. In addition to the Main outputs, there are a pair of "summed mono" (L+R) outputs labeled Sub, without filtering as they figure your subwoofer will have its own filters, thus saving money and avoiding redundancy. I like that approach for this basic component - put the money where it counts, which is the line's raison detre'. BasX, pronounced Basics.

Which brings us finally to sound quality. Emotiva has a knack for offering very good SQ for the money. I view the brand much like I did NAD 25 years, or so, ago. More? Time flies. But back when NAD made splashes with their xx20 series, like the 3020 integrated, or 1020 preamp, etc. High value units offering very good performance.

Except that Emotiva is better, even quieter than those early NADs, though I won't and can't say that their phono section is better, because I wouldn't know, and NAD put a lot into those sections. No table, no vinyl anymore at my house - requires too much up-and-down for me, though I do miss having Thorens turntables. Someone else must report on the RIAA input.

The sound with CD via coax is dynamic and deep. I use dual subwoofers back there (and so appreciated the dual outputs), and bass is very clean and impressive. It isn't a warm preamp, though. I think it neutral. Initial impressions are that it sounds better than the Adcom GTP-450 which it replaced, which, admittedly, did not set the bar extremely high anyway. But I'll need more listening time to go much further than that.

The unbalanced inputs are extremely quiet, as well. So far, I'm very happy with the purchase, and have no major criticism of sound, function, or appearance. The chassis feels substantial, not flimsy, and is made of metal, with a thick black-finish aluminum face. The more I use Emotiva products, the more I like blue circles. The company's goal of offering excellent SQ at affordable prices for this BasX line appears, thus far to me, a remarkable success.

Finally, the tuner. Color me impressed. Reception in our bedroom is horrible. I've had an NAD 4130 back there that has always been a pretty decent tuner, but even the strongest FM stations came in with some noise, whether using a folded dipole or rabbit ears. Other tuners fared no better there. The dipole was put on a different system long ago, because the rabbit ears beat it. However, someone who I shall not name but whose initials are Christine managed somehow to break off one ear recently even though it sits atop a 7' high cabinet.

Even with a one-eared rabbit, the Emotiva hears more stations more cleanly than did the NAD. Plus, I can change stations now from my seat - and I do enjoy listening to FM, ever since I put the Kenwood KT-615 in the guest bedroom. Again, more listening and a better antenna are required but even the built-in tuner seems pretty good so far. More to come later.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your spill. Thanks for sharing your review. Keep us posted as you continue listening. I think the PT-100 and A-300 amp is going to be a killer, budget friendly setup. I love that they included a tuner in the PT-100.

Sorry to hear about your spill. Thanks for sharing your review. Keep us posted as you continue listening. I think the PT-100 and A-300 amp is going to be a killer, budget friendly setup. I love that they included a tuner in the PT-100.

My thoughts also. Sorry about your fall.

Great write-up! Comedy, drama, concise and cogent commentary...even fair and balanced! What more can be said? ;)

...well, OK...walkers are diabolical! There's that.

Take care, and enjoy your new Emo!

Adding a couple notes regarding function/control:

The remote control has eight buttons. The familiar arrangement of Left, Right, Up and Down with a Center button comprise five of the eight and fall naturally under the thumb. Below are two other buttons, placed laterally and separated such that you aren't likely to press the wrong one; the left of these two is Menu, and the right toggles Mono/Stereo. The Power button up top toggles between On and Standby.

One oddity is that Center button, which you (or, ie, I) would expect to be Select; but no, it is Mute.

The Up/Down buttons set Volume, the Left/Right allow sequential selection of input.

If you want to change FM stations, you press Menu which then changes the Up/Down, Left/Right buttons to scroll through the Menu options such as Set-Up, Trims, and a couple other functions. When you see the one you want, press the right button, so Preset puts you in the mode to change stations, then Up/Down changes them. If you pause long enough, you have to start over. For this particular task, it would have been so much more convenient if the bottom right Mono/Stereo button allowed scrolling through presets without all this fuss, and the Mono in the Menu. Fuss being "they're working me to death sitting here pushing all these buttons." My PC does it to me, too, sometimes. Life is so hard.

But really, I change stations a lot more often than I use a Mono/Stereo control - woulda been nicer my way. I bet they could have talked with any one of us, and we'da steered 'em right. Seems Emotiva needs to put Mr. Obvious on staff. Maybe my way woulda cost more, and this is a budget component. But at least I can change stations from my bed with the remote.

Now, intuitively, many of us have come to expect that Center button to be Select, and a couple times I pressed that, which Mutes the preamp, tossing you right out of Menu Mode, so you start over then, too. So one can understand why my buddy in MS called the remote 'goofy' and I deemed it "awkward." No huge deal - obviously we'll become accustomed to these idiosyncrasies.

Also, I neglected to report that the main power button is on the rear panel of the unit, which isn't unusual, and both the remote and front-panel 'power' buttons are actually the On/Standby control.

I will also point out that this preamp lacks any fixed output, so not compatible with tape decks - at least not for recording. Remember, it's basic.

Last edited:
Keep the updates coming, please.

I think this pre amp might be finding a place in my home. (I need to get an amplifier in working order first.)

I am sure others appreciate you making the time to update your experiences as well.

I am very sorry about your fall! I have an artificial knee in my left leg and my right knee is not a happy camper. They also found I have bad neuropathy in both legs, in fact I am going to get fitted for braces soon, so I feel your pain!

Thanks for the review as I am thinking of getting the same unit. I downloaded the owner's manual and have a question. There is a preamp out, at least it looks like a preamp out. The manual is a bit confusing to me about how you can use this. Do you know if I could mate it with an amplifier in the future to increase power?

Get better and stay well!

I am very sorry about your fall! I have an artificial knee in my left leg and my right knee is not a happy camper. They also found I have bad neuropathy in both legs, in fact I am going to get fitted for braces soon, so I feel your pain!

Thanks for the review as I am thinking of getting the same unit. I downloaded the owner's manual and have a question. There is a preamp out, at least it looks like a preamp out. The manual is a bit confusing to me about how you can use this. Do you know if I could mate it with an amplifier in the future to increase power?

Get better and stay well!

This component, the PT-100, is a preamp, so preamp out is its Main output and a separate amp must be used with it - there is no built-in amp. However, the TA-100 (for $100 more) does include an amplifier, so that may be the one you looked at on the Emotiva site. Sounds as though you want the preamp version I'm reviewing here. Maybe you just downloaded the wrong manual. I'm using mine with an Adcom 535II power amp, aka Baby Adcom, driving Klipsch Fortes in my bedroom, and the SQ is very good. And thanks for the well-wishes.

Last edited:
Right, I got the TA-100 manual. I have to read up on the PT-100. Thanks again for your review!

After re-reading your post, I realized that you were, in fact, looking at the TA-100 and considering it. Afraid I skimmed over the part where you asked if you'd be able to connect a power amp in the future to increase power. Excuse me, my mistake. I'm certain that you've already concluded that the TA-100 is the same as the PT-100 except that it adds a power amp and that it does indeed have the same preamp output and therefore you can add a more powerful amp later. It does not offer a Main In as do some receivers, so you can't access the power amp separately - no big deal.

What does Emotiva say about the sound quality of this new BasX component?

"The BasX PT-100 offers the type of performance you might expect to find on expensive components costing many times its modest price. Unlike many other affordable audio components these days, the PT-100 delivers the superb sound and build quality you expect from a true high-end audiophile component. It has vanishingly low noise and distortion and features a wide-bandwidth design allowing you get the most out of your HD sources."

At the other end of the scale, in another thread, we have someone passing judgement on another BasX component who has never seen, touched or heard one (which as some of the older members have pointed out lately, is getting to be a pretty common practice). Bases his comments on a completely different discontinued Emotiva component he didn't like, and the price. He also manages to accuse Emotiva fans of lacking objectivity. I find that particularly ironic.

So, as someone who actually owns and has been listening to a BasX component, where do I weigh in? Well, unsurprisingly, it is somewhere between these two very highly biased claims. At least Emotiva does present some factual information with their salesmanship for the PT-100. "Vanishingly low noise and distortion, and a wide-bandwidth design" are borne out by their published specs, and my listening experience does not lead me to second-guess those specs at all. They do seem to have a knack for designing and implementing very quiet, low-noise circuitry at budget prices. "Superb sound and build quality" I can go along with, too.

The claims of "true high-end audiophile" quality competing with "components costing many times" the price is where we get into biased salesmanship. A bit of time-honored hyperbole common within the industry for as long as I can remember. However, I do think this preamp competitive at almost double its price, which makes it well worth consideration in my world, which is the one built of concrete and common sense to my way of thinking.

I'm using it with an Adcom 535II amplifier and Klipsch Forte speakers, as the core of a system which I enjoy immensely. Very dynamic, big sound - which is my thing - with well-extended deep bass as augmented by dual subs from Polk. We even now have a discussion going about what constitutes mid-fi, high-fi and high-end, with little consensus about what those terms mean. Well, call me a blue-collar audiophile and my system blue-fi, I don't care. Mid-fi, schmid-fi. Sounds frackin' great to me, and I know many of you would like it okay, too. This ain't no my-system's-better-than-your-system competition, it's enjoying life, music and your hobby on your own terms - on my own terms for me.

Want a very nice-sounding preamp for short money? Consider BasX. It will hold its own in decent company, and not have you eating bologna for a month to afford it. Go blue-fi, and damn the torpedoes!

Last edited:
Personally I would like to see the term "mid fi" deep sixed. It seems to indicate that if you don't spend MAJOR bucks on a system you are among the great unwashed. There are a good number of reasonably priced systems that give excellent performance and there is nothing middling about them.

Personally I would like to see the term "mid fi" deep sixed. It seems to indicate that if you don't spend MAJOR bucks on a system you are among the great unwashed.

I'm with you on this one. Simply throwing money at something (audio or other things) isn't necessarily a "solution". or automatically making something "better". Certainly, having more disposable income opens more doors to experiment, but it is not the "end all-be all" solution. I've heard and owned some pretty pricey gear (yup, I chased the dragon for years). I actually sold off most of the really "high end" stuff and backed down a couple notches because the music just didn't sound good anymore--a great recording sounded absolutely amazing, but I listen mainly to 60's-80's rock/punk/alternative (which is not notoriously well-engineered), and all I could hear were the flaws.

I liked what both of you had to say. I have a few hobbies I throw money at and try to find a few people on forums that can help to speed up getting it right or at least near to what you need be it smoking meat, radio of all kinds, guns, medal detecting etc. You have to figure out who you should be listening to though. I bought emotiva because of good things I heard and what reading Ive done. I figure at very least if emotiva can be a stepping stone and I can replace one piece at a time with better equipment as it quits working or if it lasts like I hope may continue buying. I very happy with the pt-100,a-300,etc-3 combo and it sounds better than I ever thought it would. Makes the rp280f speakers very happy. It did take the village idiot being me about 3 days to really figure out how to run the remote.But I'm sure thats a personal problem lol! Merry Christmas.

Thanks for your review on this unit. I have been running a XPA2 amp for more than five years and have always been impressed on how quiet my amp has been. For all that time I have been using either an old Harmon Kardon or Onkyo as a DAC/preamp. I have been thinking it would be nice to have a unit like this but haven't seriously looked to see what was available. This looks like it is worth a try.

Thanks for your review on this unit. I have been running a XPA2 amp for more than five years and have always been impressed on how quiet my amp has been. For all that time I have been using either an old Harmon Kardon or Onkyo as a DAC/preamp. I have been thinking it would be nice to have a unit like this but haven't seriously looked to see what was available. This looks like it is worth a try.

Buy it,try it! If you don't like it return it but I will bet a quarter you will want to keep it.

That sounds like a very nice option, especially for the $. Includes a DAC and a versatile phono section. Wow. Add in the fact it has a remote.....

Back
Top Bottom