EPI 110's vs. BOSTON A 70's Series ll

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SixCats!, Feb 12, 2006.

1. SixCats!

SixCats! Super Member

Hi all,

Well...thanks to EXCELLENT work of Mr. GW in GA...I now have FOUR (of the FIVE pairs) of newly refoamed 8 inch Woofers back in their Speaker cabnits and up and running! A pair of EPI 100V's, a pair of EPI 110's, a pair of BOSTON A-70's (original series) and a pair of BOSTON A-70's Series ll (and a spare pair of BOSTON A-70's Woofers). Today (after spending a LOT of time detailing the above listed speakers) I "A-B'ed" the EPI 110's vs. the BOSTON A-70's Series ll. I used my H/K 730 dual power Receiver with both LP and CD. Geezeee..."in a Nutshell"...BOTH sets of these speakers sound damn good! I did most of the "A-B'ing" playing a CD of NICKEL CREEK. The EPI's I find may be a bit...more DETAILED perhaps. The BOSTON's on the other hand I would say may be a bit WARMER and perhaps better Bass. That being said...I find BOTH pairs VERY enjoyable yet...different! Man...I would have a TOUGH time deciding which pair I prefer if I had to chose one pair. I THINK in many ways, I enjoy the EPI's for their ability to REVEAL the "little things" yet...I also THINK perhaps the BOSTON's MAY be a bit better for loooonger listening times as I find them a bit more...MELLOW/SMOOTH ? I don't know yet for sure. I haven't "A-B'ed" speakers in years! Heck...I could live with either pair!

2. pmsummer

pmsummer simul justus et peccator

I had a pair of 110's for a number of years. Wish I still did. After losing the 110's in a legal settlement, I got acquainted with some A70's, which I liked... but not as much as my 110's. The A70's gave way to some original Mission 700's. I used various Missions for the next twenty-odd years.

Related: Put new crossovers in my older-than-dirt EPI-M100's today (and new red-rubber surrounds). I smiled.