EPI curious, are they worth it?

Definitely, if the drivers are original (it looks like they probably are, but it's hard to say 100%), these were some of the best, if not the best, speakers Epicure/EPI ever made (even if they're not from the traditional, older "module" series). Human Speakers can fix or replace anything that's not working. Foam grills would have turned to dust by now, so don't worry if they're not included.

Due to the condition of the drivers I'd try to talk them down a bit, but I'd probably buy even at the asking price.

One of three speakers I have heard that made a permanent impression for a great sound on the first hearing of them. With some work, grilles and driver repairs these are sweet speakers. Go get them, make em right and enjoy or move them on. There are some rebuild threads including foam grille replacements and such here on AK.

Looking at the pictures, I would want to know those are original drivers and not something from Radio Shack. They look suspicious.

The other thing to keep in mind is while it looks like the one cone can be patched, it's not quite as clear on the other, it may need a recone. Depending on your handiness level and risk tolerance, it may still be worth it though.

I did get burned on a pair of EPI 100s... talked the guy down because the cabinets were water damaged and then got them home and found the bass drivers were Pyles (in my defense, they looked very much like original EPI drivers without removing them)

Tweeters look off. Inverted pulled, restuffed? Drivers look correct but with that cone damage, might as well be missing. My own silly opinion but I think any EPI magic is in the original parts. I can get behind spending hours fixing swelled particle board and refoaming drivers and maybe chasing down a replacement tweeter.

Sorry Royzilla I'm throwing in a thumbs down. Multiplied by the drive from SF to SC.

Positive note that if you haven't heard certain 70s EPI I think they're worth some play time. Got 2 work in progress pair of 200s. After foam break in, I experienced some wtf moments.

Whoa! I don't know what happened. I was about to drive down to Santa Cruz two days ago, when the ad first came out - it was listed for $20 (you can use that as a negotiation point.) Sounds like they looked up the model number between then and now.

Roy - if you do end up checking them out tomorrow, remind the seller that she listed them for $20 initially. Obviously, I'm pretty sure you will make sure all drivers function. I looked up the drivers on Human speakers website, and they are quite reasonable.

Let us know if you do end up with them.

The tweeter on the 3.0 was available in a couple of looks. One the inverted dome, the other an inverted dome with a rod going from top to bottom with a round ball in the middle of the driver. This is what appears to be on these speakers.

As for my comment on the drivers, they are not installed the same, tinsel connections in different orientations. Maybe from the reinstall from a refoam years ago. Seems the woofers don't have a beauty ring around the driver covering the screws the way the midrange does.

Tweeters look off. Inverted pulled, restuffed? Drivers look correct but with that cone damage, might as well be missing. My own silly opinion but I think any EPI magic is in the original parts. I can get behind spending hours fixing swelled particle board and refoaming drivers and maybe chasing down a replacement tweeter.
Huw Powell can recone them to perform as new. Price is fairly reasonable, even a replacement driver isn't too bad.

I wonder if she meant to type $200 rather than $20 or got curious and found this thread with everyone talking about them.

I wonder if she meant to type $200 rather than $20 or got curious and found this thread with everyone talking about them.
I suspect the latter (well, not necessarily this thread, she may have found some that sold). $200 would be high for a random pair of speakers in bad condition, even if you don't know anything about audio.

It was definitely $20 when she first posted the ad. So, there's no way she can make a mistake by editing and adding an extra zero.

It was definitely $20 when she first posted the ad. So, there's no way she can make a mistake by editing and adding an extra zero.

I was thinking more she originally meant to post them up for $200 but put $20 instead. Who knows. Maybe her boyfriend found out she was selling them and said to ask more.
They do look like interesting speakers. I hope someone here gets them and we get to see a restoration thread.

Everyone needs to stop talking and go get them!
Only one person needs to get them. If we all went, the price war would start and lots of us would have trouble getting them home. But these need to be picked up and rebuilt. Since I'm a few hours out (by Mach 1+ aircraft), I'm ok still talking and not getting in line for these.

Back
Top Bottom