Epicure Model 2 How decent? Or not?

I had a pair several years ago. They are nice speakers, and nice looking (though the redwood veneer drinks up lemon oil). They don't sound like the classic EPI/Epicure/Genesis/Advance/Burhoe family though, if that's what you are looking for. More extended frequency range and missing the midrange suckout that give the EPI family that slightly dry sound. I think by any reasonable standard the 2s are better than their predecessors, but tastes do matter, so if you want a bigger EPI 100 sound, you might be disappointed. The lower bass unit, by the way, is ported through the plastic slotted grill so the bass is deeper and a little bouncier than you might expect from the EPI stable.
If memory serves, they were displaced by a pair of ADS L1290s (?), which had a very similar driver complement (other than a dome midrange). The ADS were more detailed, but also colder sounding. Probably better than the 2s, but not more loveable. But that does give a point of reference, and a positive one for you to compare.

That does give me some reference, I am using ADS L910's now and really really like them but wouldn't mind a pair of decent spks. for the living room. If the Epicure 2's come close to the L910's, I'd be impressed.

I am beginning to conclude that based on the lack of information on the www or additional feedback here that they didn't sell many and maybe there was a reason for that.

Probably right on the didn't sell many. As for reason, my guess would be supply chain, more than anything. They're really nice.
I recently listened to a pair beside a pair of JBL 36 Decades, and I could not get enough of the Epicures. Nat was very descriptive and I agree with him. Seemed to be a real capable speaker, very tight sounding, incredibly pleasant. I think the top end is a little crisper with the dome tweeter than the earlier burhoe inverted dome.
Oh, and they look great too.

This speaker was an 88 model, anyone know what speakers sold in that year ± a year or two?

If you go back to that web site and surf around it there's a little more info. on the history of the line.

Thanks for the additional input guys. I'll plan to give them a listen. I won't post what he's asking so this doesn't get bumped to Dollars and Sense, based on what we're saying it's probably fair to a little better than fair.

Thanks again.

I bought a pair of those from Macy's for $400 back in '89. It's the second from the top, 4 way speaker, with great sound and looks. I still have the manual, here are some specs:
FR 38-20,000 +-3db
XO at 190, 500 and 2500 Hz
imp 6 ohms
Amp power 10-175W
35x12x13"

That's the pair I WANTED when I bought my very first system after graduating college in the 80's, but cash flow as it was, I had to settle for the Model 4. They are wonderful speakers, and I still cherish mine today (even more so now with the Human improved replacement tweets!)

I have a pair of epicure ones. I like them. I have young ears though. I like my Klipsches better. I just recently refoamed the epicures and I am using them in a hometheater setup.

Dolan

Back
Top Bottom