Epos ES11 and Epos speakers

Spektre

Brit alert
I own a pair of Epos ES11 speakers from the early 90's and I wanted to start a thread about them mainly because I have some reviews from when the speakers were new. I thought people might find it interesting to read some contemporary reviews of them as so many of us come across older gear (davidpro's Rogers LS4A come to mind) and know nothing of what the Hi Fi press was saying about this gear at time of release. I'd also like this thread to be open to anyone else here who owns anything else from Epos and post some photo's of the pair I own in this thread along with my own impressions.

ScannedImage133590007.jpg
ScannedImage133590008.jpg

ScannedImage133590005.jpg
ScannedImage133590002.jpg

ScannedImage133590003.jpg
ScannedImage133590004.jpg

ScannedImage133590000.jpg
ScannedImage133590001.jpg

Those were very good speakers.

I owned the M12i which was one of the worst speakers I have ever owned. Well chronicled here and elsewhere. Also had a pair of little ELS3's and they were a very good speaker for the money. Many happy owners of that speaker.

Damn Gav, I've been painfully ignoring a pair of those ES11 on my eBay watch list...
Speaking of which, the Epos could have been my first real speakers if I didn't go for Wharfedale Diamond 9.3 which I thought were a better deal at the time.

Damn Gav, I've been painfully ignoring a pair of those ES11 on my eBay watch list...
Speaking of which, the Epos could have been my first real speakers if I didn't go for Wharfedale Diamond 9.3 which I thought were a better deal at the time.

They are not the most transparent or revealing pair of speakers even back in the day with a slightly romantic balance especially when you compare them to modern designs but they are one of the most musical I've ever heard. I'm hanging onto mine because I enjoy them and they were a landmark in British audio history.

Art, I don't think that the Epos brand ever the same after Robin Marshall left, what was it that you didn't like about your M12i's?

Last edited:
There can be many different approaches to sound reproduction. I can certainly see why you'd want to hold onto your Epos as I hold onto my AR3a, although historical value means little to me.

What's the going price of the ES11 in its motherland?

They are not the most transparent or revealing pair of speakers even back in the day with a slightly romantic balance especially when you compare them to modern designs but they are one of the most musical I've ever heard. I'm hanging onto mine because I enjoy them and they were a landmark in British audio history.

Art, I don't think that the Epos brand ever the same after Robin Marshall left, what was it that you didn't like about your M12i's?

They were relentlessly bright. When I addressed it on the Epos & Creek forum Jacki Pugh and Luke Creek went nuts. Jacki was incredibly rude on the forum, so much so that many of the faithful on that forum wondered what Epos had to hide. Luke followed suit with an even more scathing email. I called them out for it and continued to participate on the forum. I was 3rd in post count on the fourm and would have been No. 1 within weeks. I was also their most vocal critic. They couldn't have that and closed the forum down. Meanwhile on their website they admitted there was a problem with brightness with the M12i and offered an inline resistor to attenuate the high end to customers who bought them before a certain date. They changed the values in the crossover for the upcoming production. They still sucked but just a hair less. By then I had taken the loss, moved them on and bought a pair of Totem Rainmakers.

Their customer service was horrible. When I mentioned this here at AK a couple of years ago there were some folks here who remembered that whole affair.

That sounds really awful Art, you'd think they'd be able to handle this with a little more tact, feedback is a good thing even if you don't like whats being said, ultimately it strengthens the brand in terms of the final product and customer loyalty. Anyway good for you for speaking your mind even if it was unpopular.

David, hard to tell what current prices are in the UK, I haven't seen any in a while. The later ES12's (I also have a pair) are available in the US for around $300 but they are not quite as good as the original ES11. To give you an analogy the 12's are a bit like a boxer a few years down the line that have lost some speed put on some weight and gone a bit soggy in the rear. Still able to put up a good performane but not the prize fighter they once were, replacement models are not always better.

Old school looks in the ubiquitous 90's Black Ash finish and not so old school sound from the Epos ES11.

3G8A4292.jpg
3G8A4285.jpg

3G8A4272.jpg

Epos ES12 in cherry on top of the original ES11.

3G8A4301.jpg

I've always wanted a pair of ES11's 12's or 14's. Had a good friend with some 14's that we both enjoyed.

The one available here is that black ash, which is another reason I'm veering away from it. I'd have preferred walnut/cherry. I like their design overall. Something clean and neat about it. Would love to hear the ES11.

I've always wanted a pair of ES11's 12's or 14's. Had a good friend with some 14's that we both enjoyed.

If I can find a pair (ES14's)I'll scoop them up for sure they are almost full range?

David, the natural wood veneer versions of the ES11 are very rare although I have seen them, the black ash looks better in the flesh.

Let's think of some point of reference between us Gav.
How would you describe the ES11 compared to the 10.1 & S520?

Let's think of some point of reference between us Gav.
How would you describe the ES11 compared to the 10.1 & S520?

Definitely closer in character to the 10.1 than S520. Richer colours in the midrange and more natural sounding treble than the Diamonds, defintely more inner detail than either. Imaging is somewhere between the two in terms of precision and superior soundstage width and depth than either of them, image height is more restricted than the Usher. Bass is probably the weakest area of performance, its less extended than the Diamonds and softer in impact or punch than either of them, it is tuneful though and times better than the Wharfedales. Like most things Hi Fi they have their idiosyncrasies but can you imagine hearing these in the context of the early 90's? These are much more alive than say your Rogers from the same era and less matter of fact than my old Harbeth HL-P3's.

Last edited:
Well Gavin.....I absolutely love my Epic 2s. Easily the best sounding speaker I have had in the last 15yrs, I suspect I would have to double the price to get these results or better them, based on what I have auditioned in the past.

The retro look of the Epic line, the audiophile grille, soft dome tweeter and an excellent mid/bass driver really gets me the music how I like it.....Very natural, no coloration and pleasant sounding.

I've been meaning to comment on this thread. (Nice idea for a thread, btw.)

This past fall I bought some Epos Epic 5 speakers after a lot of on-line research. I would not normally buy speakers without being able to hear them first, but my findings suggested to me that it was a gamble worth taking - I'm glad I did. I was looking for a large stand-mount or small-ish floor standing speaker (small-ish room) with decent sensitivity and 4 Ohm nominal impedance to mate with a couple of small Magnavbox tube amps I had recently refurbished. I was attempting a conscious downsize of my system as well as trying to dip my toes into the tube pool; this was an affordable way to so and these speakers seemed to fit the bill. Furthermore, I had visited a few audio shows recently and noticed that I really preferred the treble from speakers that used soft-dome tweeters and was really beginning to notice that most of the metal-dome tweeters did things I didn't like. (My main speakers at the time were big Vandersteens with 1" metal tweeters, although I do have to admit they are the least metal-sounding metal tweeters I've ever heard.) After hearing some Epos speakers (I forget which ones) at a hi-fi showroom in downtown Seattle while on vacation this summer, I found an on-line deal for a brand new set of Cherry Epic 5 that I could not pass up. So I didn't. :D

I have found the speakers to be very satisfying and very musical. I think the treble sounds smooth, though not without detail, and very easy to listen to for an extended time. (Contrasting the problems of the M(i) series discussed above, maybe they learned a lesson.) The bass opened up a little over time and they reach very low with ease. The midrange is very nice, natural without being overly lush, and well-balanced overall. Again, the highs are smooth and easy, but with clarity and detail - very well done. I've also recently upgraded my DAC and noticed a further improvement in upper-end resolution, still without any edginess or fatigue.

I have done some looking at the new Elan series and I really think they are just a re-dressing of the Epics. The baffle is slightly re-worked and they are wrapped in real veneer as opposed to the (exceptionally well done) vinyl on the Epics, but the sizes and general specs. are identical, so I suspect the Epics were proven winners and simply got new clothes and a more "audiophile" price. (I saw the Seattle dealer in Denver at RMAF in October and asked him about it, but he didn't know the details.)

Though I'm using essentially old "junque" gear upstream from them (with good results), I'd be willing to bet that a nice Musical Fidelity M1 amplifier would be a killer combination with the Epic/Elan series. Maybe somebody should try that combo and let us know? :thmbsp:

Good to see you get here Catcher, I wondered if you would post and your description fits the Epos sound I'm familiar with.

DC: I felt as the ES14 and ES11 were the genesis of Epos it seemed fitting to start with them. Great story and the Epic 5 is a very favourably reviewed speaker, I actually considered having some at home. Metal domes can draw attention to themselves for sure but with proper execution they can be done well and integrate seamlessly (Harbeth) with mid/ bass drivers using different materials. Again the sound you describe seems in line with my experience, in just about every measurable parameter Epos seem to be about balance and musicality, the M series excepted. The Elans don't look that different I agree, perhaps we'll have to wait for reviews to catch up to see if they are of any significant difference.

Thanks both for your contributions, feel free to post photo's of your beloved Epos if you feel so inclined.
:thmbsp:

Last edited:
I always liked the ES14's, but it has been a long time since I have heard a pair. I imagine a bit long in the tooth by now, but still a good one.

I haven't really listened to many of the newer range to know how they sound unfortunately. Might have to get around to it one of these days! Tim

Definitely closer in character to the 10.1 than S520. Richer colours in the midrange and more natural sounding treble than the Diamonds, defintely more inner detail than either. Imaging is somewhere between the two in terms of precision and superior soundstage width and depth than either of them, image height is more restricted than the Usher. Bass is probably the weakest area of performance, its less extended than the Diamonds and softer in impact or punch than either of them, it is tuneful though and times better than the Wharfedales. Like most things Hi Fi they have their idiosyncrasies but can you imagine hearing these in the context of the early 90's? These are much more alive than say your Rogers from the same era and less matter of fact than my old Harbeth HL-P3's.

Thanks Gav. You're very good at describing SQs, I can imagine what ES11 might sound like!

Back
Top Bottom