Epos ES11 and Epos speakers

Nice one Catcher. Have you compared them with the Epic 1?

I did at the Music Hall dealer when I bought them, in Tacoma. If I had a smaller room those would be ideal. The low end was not as pronounced in the Epic 1s.
My room is about 16x30 and I listen at about 14' away and I really like how the Epic 2s throw the bass at me. I keep mine with a very, very slight toe in almost nothing. The audiophile grille does a great job of ST even when no toe in.

I like Epos speakers...at least the Epic line. :music:

(edit) ADD: I did also audition the B&W CM1 and CM5. CM1 at $1K just did not give me any extra for another $400 and the CM5 did nothing for me at like $1400 or something. The quality of the B&W box is nicer but that did not make up for the sound.

What I find is the Epos mates very well with the NAD (British) sound and also I found it is really nice with the Nagaoka cartridges. I have had both the MP-110 and currently use the MP-200, Nagaoka a warm cartridge by nature and it really mates well with the NAD and Epos sound. I am not trying to overcome one sound over another with my gear, I think I am hearing what I should be from these components.......and it is good to my ears.

Last edited:
I confess I have never heard any Bower and Wilkins speaker! :dunno:

My temptation would be to pair Epos speakers with a cable that has a fast open sound and tight bass in order to balance them. I've also found a pair of original open Epos stands which I think will make a big difference, I'm expecting them to sound leaner and faster particularly in the bass.

48122-0_5.jpg

Last edited:
That's funny Gavin.......When I went in to buy my Epic 2s I had allocated enough cash (I save money to buy my gear, no credit for my hobby) to also purchase the Epos stands. But my dealer not only had the Epic2 on sale but he also threw in a set of Lovan 5-pole stands he had, probably $250 stands new, these were his display set.

So he saved me $300, I returned the favor and spent $100 on used vinyl. He has both an audio store and used vinyl store. Part of the savings also bought me a set of Belden 10AWG cables made by BlueJeans Cable in Seattle.

I did at the Music Hall dealer when I bought them, in Tacoma. If I had a smaller room those would be ideal. The low end was not as pronounced in the Epic 1s.
My room is about 16x30 and I listen at about 14' away and I really like how the Epic 2s throw the bass at me. I keep mine with a very, very slight toe in almost nothing. The audiophile grille does a great job of ST even when no toe in.

I like Epos speakers...at least the Epic line. :music:

(edit) ADD: I did also audition the B&W CM1 and CM5. CM1 at $1K just did not give me any extra for another $400 and the CM5 did nothing for me at like $1400 or something. The quality of the B&W box is nicer but that did not make up for the sound.

What I find is the Epos mates very well with the NAD (British) sound and also I found it is really nice with the Nagaoka cartridges. I have had both the MP-110 and currently use the MP-200, Nagaoka a warm cartridge by nature and it really mates well with the NAD and Epos sound. I am not trying to overcome one sound over another with my gear, I think I am hearing what I should be from these components.......and it is good to my ears.

Thanks man. I'll keep an eye on the Epic 1 as I don't really need bass enforcement. I just wanted to know if Epic 1 is like what you have without the bass.

I confess I have never heard any Bower and Wilkins speaker! :dunno:

Whoa!

I get the impression that B&W speakers are more acerbic in character than other British speakers, sometimes to the point of listener fatigue, only going on what I've read mind.

And for me to pricey for what you get....The larger floor stand models do sound pretty amazing. But I have only heard them thru tube McIntosh gear......

Here are my ragged es11. $15 at a yard sale in front of particularly seedy trailer park. I drove by a few times at 70 mph noticing the veneer from the road and decided it was free to stop and look. when I saw Epos on the front I was intrigued. Then I picked one up and felt the weight they seemed legit so I paid the man, and have obviously been pleasantly surprised. The timing is frustrating though. I went for a year without decent speakers then 2 weeks ago finished my Troels Gravesen 3 way classics, only to pick these up the following weekend. They looked like they had been slidding around the trunk of a car for a while, but had no dents just scratches and other paint had been rubbed onto them so I scrubbed with a magic eraser and then wiped with Watco Danish oil. They are way better but still have the flakes of veneer missing from the front edge, which will require more creativity. The drivers are fine the sound is great. The fact that were abused and only have superficial damage is really a testament to the quality.

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Thats a beat up pair of 11's, in fact all the wood veneer examples I've seen secondhand have been in the same sort of condition, good job the tweeter has mesh over them or they may have been trash. Nice story though and one wonders what the speakers could tell you about their former life had they a brain of their own. Its great to see these classics given a new lease of life and they were only $15 so its a chance I'd have taken.

Here are some shots of he ST12 open frame stands I've been waiting on and these were well worth tracking down. With these under the ES11's they are a truly amazing speaker system, your going to think I'm either losing my sanity or a complete fanboy when I say this is some of the best music I've ever heard in my room, I'm stunned.

3G8A5155.jpg

3G8A5196.jpg

3G8A5108.jpg

i just grabbed a pair of 11s on the local craigslist. came with nice stands, though not the EPOS originals. had them playing all day and they sound nice. no deep bass but mids and highs are sweet.

here are pics (last one is a bit dark...): http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/Bz4xRDKd/1/6481206

as you can see the finish is shot. any suggestions re refinishing them?

i just grabbed a pair of 11s on the local craigslist. came with nice stands, though not the EPOS originals. had them playing all day and they sound nice. no deep bass but mids and highs are sweet.

here are pics (last one is a bit dark...): http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/Bz4xRDKd/1/6481206

as you can see the finish is shot. any suggestions re refinishing them?

The cabinets don't look too bad in terms of chips, how about (carefully) just respraying them with some satin paint? At least the finish would be uniform provided your patient, the black Ash was all the rage in the 90's. Epos's original stands make a huge difference regarding sound staging and imaging but they are hard to find, my ES11's are going nowhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom