Equipment List

I'm shipping my Shanling and DIY 2A3 to grumpy on Monday. Be there in plenty of time for the meet. Maybe my Foreplay.

"So mine is the designated "SET Room"

Is that the case? Makes sense since Brian is toting SET amps. Though as much as I enjoyed spending time with Brian at the MAF I was hoping to try the Moth in other systems. Since I'm not sure exactly what equipment will be there I suppose I'll just have to see what's up on Saturday. I plan on bringing the following...

1>. Moth s45 w/Emission Labs solid plate 45's

2>. Shunyata Hydra PLC

3>. Modular Lovan rack

4>. Tube caddy

5>. PS Audio Ultimate Outlet / Audio Magic Stealth PLC

6>. David Elrod power cords

7>. DIY 24awg solid silver speaker "cables"

MikE

Last edited:
This is going to be a great experience! I am very appreciative, as wells as other members I'm sure, of the trouble you guys are going to get your equipment to the Fest. I have never heard SET before and now I will be to able audition several examples.

Way to go guys :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Jon:)

Man, this is gonna be sweet!

WhiteSE: Feel free to bring your Berning amp to my room - the Berning is a very synergistic match with Cain & Cain loudspeakers.

Wardsweb: Thanks again for your efforts to get this gear to AK Fest 2004! And I'm sincerely hoping that your Bottlehead preamp is able to hitch a ride...

MikE: Yes, I can understand your desire to hear the Moth with some other high-efficiency speakers. But do keep in mind that (1) my Abbys are now fully broken in, and (2) I'll be bringing Cain & Cain's new self-powered subwoofer. Also, perhaps you'd be willing to let me run your Moth amp with Yamamoto's CA-03L tube preamp in line?

Cheers!

Less then two weeks to go. We still have a some room if anyone would like to bring some of their gear out to Demo for others. Drop me a line or post here.

Grumpy

As per Grump's request, I'm going to fill a couple gaps.

I'm bringing:

Sansui G-901
McIntosh MCD7000 CD player
various cables

And maybe a few other assorted things

How are ya fixed fer room? I actually have a rare Saturday off and might try to come up. Perhaps some might like to hear a pair of JBL 3115's. I just put in a passive crossover and it sounds pretty good. This was last night, and the first time I have tried it with these. There will be issues with them that I won't have time to sort through, but they are a pretty neat speaker. 6.5 cu ft, so they are big.
My minimalist system is a ProMedia processor for preamp, a Sony CD, two noRh LeAmps, and the 3115's. $1350 total actual costs. Or I can bring up my vintage CA1010 integrated and get the system cost to about $750!! I haven't surfed all the info here yet, but if I make it up, do you want to hear a bit of these??
MBB

Mike

We would love to have you bring out some gear just let me know.

We are asking that anyone who is bringing gear to demo to please be there by 8:00AM.

I know its early but we only have 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours to go from bare rooms to set up before folks arrive.

Grumpy

Hey Mike,
I got the crossovers you told me about the other day, but haven't installed them yet. Which bass speaker are you using? I will be going with a pair of LE15H's I got out in the garage, at least to start with. Whadda ya think? Tips? :)

Carl

Carl, are you talking about your 3115's? I'm using the 8 ohm 2226HPL, which I took out of my quad 15 boxes.
I'd have to do some quick research to predict how the LE15's would work, but give em a try.
The schematic is not up on the exploded view for the SR4735X/F network, but it should simply be solid green, solid yellow, and solid white are +
The LE15 is probably a BLACK positive driver, not red, and the 2426 in the 3115 is also black positive. So put green to black on the woofer, and yellow to black on the tweet.
The M209 mid doesn't matter, as you just match up white with white etc. coming out of the back chamber on the driver.
I forget; did you tell me you have already had these fired up with a previous passive, or an active? What do you think of them? Two pairs together really does something cool on the bass end. I'd like to integrate the excellent 2245 based subs I've got into the setup.

p.s. (I'd rather hear four 15's at 93db than two 15's at 93 db!!)
MBB

Hey Mike, I've been using since I first got them. Great speakers!
I sure don't see the need for a sub myself, but then I haven't tried one with them either. I think the LE15H would be OK. The only thing I know about them is they were used in the last of the Paragon's and these have 1985 on the original boxes. Thank You for the tips, I will print that out and remember to check +'s and -'s.
I'll just run 'em and see how it goes. :) Thanks again Mike!

Carl
Yeah, I shoulda bought 4 but at least I got 2! :D

There is a T/S page on the Lansing site that shows the LE15A; is that the same driver???
My first pure guess is that the LE15 may not have the low end balls of some other drivers, but that is purely a guess based on it's performance in the Paragon.
I have an inquiry on the Lansing site now aobut using a 2235 in the 3115. Now THAT is a driver, that 2235!!!
And yes, even with a speaker you think you don't need a sub under, try adding a real one and see what it does. You'll like it.

BTW, the harness is just long enough to remove the other input plate and plop the new on one, and then attach the circuit board to the back wall of the cabinet near the top. Everything is cool except you have to add some speaker cable to the green woofer wires to be able to reach it. In the SR4735 et al the circuit board was attached to the bottom of the cabinet and the input plate was on the back wall.
What did you use before to crossover with???

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/reference/notes/tech1-3a/page09.jpg
MBB

Last edited:
I've been using that Behringer crossover everyone seemed to get.
What have you been using on yours? The LE15H's is here and paid for years ago is why I figure to give it a shot. Got a pair of 2220B's too but they are 16 ohm.

Carl

Last edited:
If you used the Behringer (CX3400?), why go passive?
What settings did you use on the Behringer??? Did you run the 3115's two way and passive to the tweet??
The Fs on the Le15 looks low enough to have some serious bottom end..................I might be missing something. Is the LE15H the same as the LE15A????Looks like the underhung E145 type basket, which is good.

Wow, Carl, these passives are sounding really good with these boxes. These are unused woofers, no break in time at all. They just came straight out of one of the quad boxes that hadn't ahd 10 minutes playing time since I got them 2 years ago. I can see that even in this bass-difficult room, the bass is going to be fine. I've got 5 good discs loaded, and uh, it's just sounding dman sweet................

I think I'm going to order another pair of crossovers tmrw. and tell my buddy in Co who has a pair to get a set too!!! He has never even heard his set, which are still in the box. he never bought a crossover or extra amps. I just have to help him get some 8 ohm woofers.
Try the LE15's.

Last edited:
"If you used the Behringer (CX3400?), why go passive?"
Too many cables, need to use a second amp.

"What settings did you use on the Behringer???"
I've stuck with @350hz.

" Did you run the 3115's two way and passive to the tweet??"
I sure did.

"The Fs on the Le15 looks low enough to have some serious bottom end..................I might be missing something. Is the LE15H the same as the LE15A????"

All I know is the H is for 8 ohm ferrite magnet to be honest. Well
this is looking like there's some serious potential going on here.
Thanks!

Carl

Mike

Just try to get there as early as you can. If I know your coming I will try to set aside some space.

Grumpy

Sorry, I know we're getting this thread way the hell off course, but in a few days it won't matter!!!
Anyway, sorry, I know we covered some of my questions before.......
When I first saw the new crossover, I thought a few things, such as
1)damn, for 118.00 it had to be built in China
2)it's a big, decent quality looking crossover
3) it's big
4) it's beefy enough to give some reasonably deep bass
5) it's big

My motivation was because the amps I had for biamping all had fans and were too noisy for quiet home use and
b) I wanted to be able to drive them now and then off one of several HT receivers or integrateds and
c) here is where boy speakers are separated from men speakers; I can use them in live sound situations (as I have already done before) without bi-amping, driven off a powered mixer. They sound glorious outdoors, with recorded or live music. Even the musicians kept commenting on the sound quality. SO.............that puts us in rarified company.................people who have speakers that can sound great in the living room, then go out and play in the back yard and ROCK, even with a little reckless power fed to them............
Try THAT with the rest of the gang.

There are a few out there who think that the idea of a speaker who can do both farily well is a pretty neat/special thing..(others scoff but they usually haven't experienced it; I know of a guy who uses Meyer self powererd stuff in his HT rig..........a perfect example of stuff that can do it all and kick the crap of out most home/high end stuff on any criteria except price)
harks back to my (still) good friend Reid who bought Klipschorns in the 70s' and then DJ'd all the big outdoor and indoor parties with them for years before he bought more gear.

I realize now that I HAVE to attend a black tie event in Lima Saturday night, which would mean leaving Detroit pretty early. May have to rethink plans..........................

BTW, there was a small thread on AA about current JBL pro drivers and the realization that as power handling went up, low level resolution went down some; PLUS, JBL no longer builds VLF drivers. Therefore, the 2245H, represents another rarer beast; a large VLF driver that is also built with resolution and transient response......................

|MBB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom