ESS Tempest LS5

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by zvardanian, Nov 8, 2008.

1. zvardanian

zvardanian New Member

I picked up a pair of these at an estate sale. Cheap.

Anyone know anything about them? It looks like there is a large hole in the back of them, radiator perhaps? I haven't tested them and can't seem to find a lot of info about them. Tweeters look to be in good shape...woofers need to be refoamed I believe.

I'm not sure I can use them...is it worth having them refurbished? (not by me...I haven't the skill).

2. MarkAnderson

MarkAnderson Addicted Member

I have a pair of LS-4's of the same lineage. The hole in the back is indeed for a passive radiator. Replacement diaphragms can be had from Simply Speakers or eBay, FWIW. I like mine, but I wouldn't exactly call them the epitome of accuracy. I'd guess your looking at $100-150 to have a pro refoam the woofers and replace the passives. I'm not sure I'd put that much in them, but I'm cheap.

3. Sir.Byrd

Sir.Byrd Lunatic Member

I think they would be worth fixing. Refoaming will only take about 1 hour of work or less, and around $20 or less. Passive radiators are sold for cheap from Simplyspeakers.com which used to be ESSspeakers.com

4. titanstats

titanstats Go Habs Go!

Totally worth fixing, especially if you got them cheap. Go the DIY route to fix the surrounds (it's easy!); you'll only have to spend about $20 bucks, and you'll have yourself a nice pair of speaks. The tweets on those sound wonderful.

5. zvardanian

zvardanian New Member

I only paid 10 bucks for them. :)

I'll search and see what I can find.

Thanks Everyone!

6. zvardanian

zvardanian New Member

Actually, I went to Simplyspeakers.com and can't seem to find the radiator...can anyone link? Am I totally missing this?

7. MarkAnderson

MarkAnderson Addicted Member

8. Sir.Byrd

Sir.Byrd Lunatic Member

9. zvardanian

zvardanian New Member

ahh, there we go. thanks! :)