Ever heaerd of this speaker company?

I'm pretty impressed with the set of Fibhorns that I have. I'm sure yours are even better...!! Not surprised about your experience with the little amp. Those things can be really cool to look at, but I some times wonder about both the design, the build quality, and even the parts used in construction. I think some times you can get a bad one in a batch, where others can work fine. So, I don't condemn them with a broad brush. It just seems that a 'used' one that's been run a while and is proven 'problem free' can actually be a better deal than new. Just my humble opinion....fwiw. Hope your next amp works out to your liking! WC

I hope their speakers are better than their math skills. For the Fibonacci sequence listed on their site:

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 39 55 84 144 . . .

39 and 84 are wrong. Should be 34 and 89, respectively:

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 . . .

Each value is the sum of the previous two.

And another point or two off for the model numbers being 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

If I was marketing speakers designed on the Fibonacci Sequence, my model numbers would also reflect it.

Model 0, Model 1, Model 1, Model2, ...

Their continued misuse of its vs it's turns me off. I can stomach it in a forum setting or comments on Facebook, but not on a professional website.

Signed, The Grammar Nazi

I'm pretty impressed with the set of Fibhorns that I have. I'm sure yours are even better...!! Not surprised about your experience with the little amp. Those things can be really cool to look at, but I some times wonder about both the design, the build quality, and even the parts used in construction. I think some times you can get a bad one in a batch, where others can work fine. So, I don't condemn them with a broad brush. It just seems that a 'used' one that's been run a while and is proven 'problem free' can actually be a better deal than new. Just my humble opinion....fwiw. Hope your next amp works out to your liking! WC

Thanks, I'm sure I will find a good one. The Monoprice Hybrid would be perfect if not for the terrible hum. What is this 3-watt DG-SE1 amp you have mentioned earlier in the thread? I did a search but didn't come up with much.

How can a dynamically challenged speaker that can handle very little power pretend to be of audiophile quality? Maybe in an anechoic chamber only producing 90 db peaks at 1 meter. I get the idea of the multiple resonant chambers getting the most performance of the bass from a small enclosure, etc etc. But if the sensitivity is only 88 to 94 db. How is a single driver develop enough level without generating high amounts of distortion? It can't. And the quality of the drivers chosen is very suspect. But Hay! They might work well in a small bath room or a walk in clothes closet. I think I'd rather have Roger's IDS speaker myself!!

Different set-ups for different uses. I wouldn't throw a house party with the Fibhorns nor would I want to listen to Stars Of The Lid late at night using some Cerwin Vega's. :)

I contacted Fibhorn and requested full specs for their Model 2 speakers, and I got a response from one of their "representatives" and they just referred me to a post on AK!!!(???) Not only that, but there wasn't even a post to be found about any of their product! I have to say, that is not customer service of any kind, and that is NOT confidence inspiring, even in the slightest. If a speaker company can't supply you with the most basic specs for their own product that they tout as "world class", then how can they be taken seriously? In my mind, if a company has any design and engineering philosophy for their own designs, as well as a deeper knowledge and understanding of the parts that go into their product, then they should be able to readily supply the very specifications that should have been tested as a precursor to those numbers. I don't think I'll be buying any Fibhorn speakers anytime soon. That's not to say that they may not be any good, but the "help" I received was not confidence inspiring, and it left me with a less than favorable first opinion of their company. Not that I was in the market for new speakers anyway, but I'll be taking a wait and see approach with Fibhorn. :p

Try doing the same for Bose speakers and see if it's any different. Would you call Bose "White Van".

I'm talking about how difficult it is to find specs on Bose speakers. If your criteria for determining if a speaker is "white van" is not being able to find specs, Bose would fall under that criteria. I'm not a big Bose fan, but don't believe they fall under the label "white van".

I'm talking about how difficult it is to find specs on Bose speakers. If your criteria for determining if a speaker is "white van" is not being able to find specs, Bose would fall under that criteria. I'm not a big Bose fan, but don't believe they fall under the label "white van".

Well, I never mentioned Bose or "white van", but I'm glad you got that straightened out for yourself. Cheers.

For the love of God, please tell me that is a joke! LOL!!! :rflmao:

I think it's a rather informative video. I remember when Vandersteen was running on shoestring back in the late 70s. I think these people are simply passionate about their product. I'd much prefer that over the slick presentation of a lot of audio companies. Fibonacci sequences in design is nothing new and in the case of loudspeakers goes back to Bell Labs IIRC. I just feel there are plenty of audio companies that routinely make spurious claims about their products and deserve more denigration than this small company..

Back in the 1970s I sold encyclopedias door to door. I met an engineer from Dupont who had taken conch shells and fit each of them with a very small speaker at the center. As most of you likely know, conch shells are natural Fibonacci constructs.

He had lined the intersections of his living room walls with one of these shells about every few feet with the shell openings facing out into the room, and must have had 50 total. To this day I have never heard anything quite so pure.

I gotta pop in here, as I own a set, and have listened to them for some time now. To say they sound good is perhaps an understatement. To say they sound great is perhaps an overstatement. I promoted them in the past, and I'll do so today. That said, I'm bothered by the fact that in NONE of their expositions do they actually show a cross-section of what they claim to be the innards of their cabinet. In the video above it's stated at one point that they're showing the inner 'Fibonacci' structure. In fact, they do not. They show some inner stippling, some 'caulking' or sealant of some kind, as well as some box-like chambers. But...."Where's the Beef??"!!! I want to see exactly how these things are built!! Or, are the boxes the 'secret'? No 'Fibonacci' spiral, but just boxes with internal volume that goes from a unit of 1, to twice that (2), to 'thrice' that (3X)? Hence the Fibonacci Sequence!!

Anyway, I have the 'early' Type 2s, and with the 3" driver, I just can't get enough air movement out of them to satisfy me, even in limited room and 'near-field' circumstances. I've coupled them with a Sub-woofer and it helped dramatically!! I can't see using them any other way. At $200 and with the addition of a sub, this is now a VERY reasonable system.... and really does out-perform a lot of other systems where a similar investment might be made. I may take a trip up to NY some day, just to visit their showroom, and maybe hope they'll reveal a bit more to me. I know they now make what I believe is either the model 4 or model 6....the floor-standing unit with the 8" driver. I think they're stating this to be a $3K unit. I recently purchased a set of Tekton Lores....which retail for $1K.....and sound REALLY GOOD!! For me to justify an additional $2K for the Fibby units, I need to know EXACTLY what inside the box. I leave the door open to them....... but I believe they need to be a bit more revealing about their internal design structure. Until then, I have to admit that I remain somewhat skeptical..... FWIW!! WC

I gotta pop in here, as I own a set, and have listened to them for some time now. To say they sound good is perhaps an understatement. To say they sound great is perhaps an overstatement. I promoted them in the past, and I'll do so today. That said, I'm bothered by the fact that in NONE of their expositions do they actually show a cross-section of what they claim to be the innards of their cabinet. In the video above it's stated at one point that they're showing the inner 'Fibonacci' structure. In fact, they do not. They show some inner stippling, some 'caulking' or sealant of some kind, as well as some box-like chambers. But...."Where's the Beef??"!!! I want to see exactly how these things are built!! Or, are the boxes the 'secret'? No 'Fibonacci' spiral, but just boxes with internal volume that goes from a unit of 1, to twice that (2), to 'thrice' that (3X)? Hence the Fibonacci Sequence!!

Anyway, I have the 'early' Type 2s, and with the 3" driver, I just can't get enough air movement out of them to satisfy me, even in limited room and 'near-field' circumstances. I've coupled them with a Sub-woofer and it helped dramatically!! I can't see using them any other way. At $200 and with the addition of a sub, this is now a VERY reasonable system.... and really does out-perform a lot of other systems where a similar investment might be made. I may take a trip up to NY some day, just to visit their showroom, and maybe hope they'll reveal a bit more to me. I know they now make what I believe is either the model 4 or model 6....the floor-standing unit with the 8" driver. I think they're stating this to be a $3K unit. I recently purchased a set of Tekton Lores....which retail for $1K.....and sound REALLY GOOD!! For me to justify an additional $2K for the Fibby units, I need to know EXACTLY what inside the box. I leave the door open to them....... but I believe they need to be a bit more revealing about their internal design structure. Until then, I have to admit that I remain somewhat skeptical..... FWIW!! WC
Wharfcreek, Appreciate all your comments on the Fibhorn Model 2. I myself is considering putting together a small bedroom low watt system using a full-range speaker. The amp I'm considering getting would be the Tube Cube 7 which puts out 3.5 Watts per side. My dilemma would be what speakers to use, knowing well that small (3" or 4") full range speakers are somewhat bass deficient. Before hearing about Fibhorn Model 2, I was leaning towards Fostex P1000 cabinet with the Fostex FF105WK speaker, as I had heard that it was a more balanced speaker than the Fostex Fe103. Anyway I curious on your thoughts on how balanced the sound on the Model 2 throughout it's frequency range and also how low does it actually go (I'm guessing around a 100 Hz +/-)? Anyway appreciate any comments and suggestion you care to make.

I'd be lying if I attempted to throw a number at you in terms of 'frequency' response. That's a 'measured' factor....and short of the proper equipment to actually 'test' this aspect of them, I can't possibly answer it with any true accuracy. That said, I think your guess may even be a bit generous. Like I said, really hard to tell. I will say that for their size, they seem to have a pretty respectable reach from an audible perspective. But, if you're looking for any kind of true bass response, you're going to need a sub of some kind. I've found several in the computer departments of some of the 'big box' stores.....and they do a pretty decent job with bedroom applications. I guess this depends on whether or not you're really listening to the music with a critical ear.....or just trying to put yourself to sleep with some tunes that don't make you cringe!!......lol

As to the 'balance' of these speakers, again....this is a 'testing' matter, since the human ear has it's limitations. I might mention here that the Fostex line of full range speakers has been well-tested over many years, and their drivers are used in a LOT of different applications....from big-name speaker builders to 'Harry-Homeowner' project builds. They're a known 'quality' speaker, and their testing results has been pretty well backed up over the years. Sadly, the Fibbys haven't got that kind of lineage behind them......yet! But, I might also mention that the Fibbys are more of an 'enclosure' issue, since they often use Fostex drivers in their products. Fostex builds both the drivers and their own line of enclosures. So, you might find that a Fibhorn Model 2 just might have Fostex drivers in it.

The bottom line here is that you can analyze this to death......do 'due diligence' until you're blue in the face.....and 'think' you've made the right decision....then find you're disappointed and need to back-track. Some times the only way to reach a point of satisfaction is to go through some trial & error.....and a bit of 'expense'. Thankfully, there's enough of a 'used' market around that if you look long enough you can probably find what you want. Then, in buying it, if you don't like it, you can re-sell it for what you paid for it and not lose a dime. But, if you're able to go buy 'new' and you can afford to lose a few bucks if you're not happy, this is clearly the most expeditious way to go about this. In any case, I hope you get to the 'pull the trigger' point....as that's where the fun really starts!!

TSD

Back
Top Bottom