Ever wish for a sequel...but there was none?

There is a difference between a sequel, a series and a franchise. The franchises like Bond, Bourne, etc have been successful because we because invested in the character. A series is written and designed as such like Star Wars, Hunger Games etc. There is a reason for the second, third or further installment until the end is reached. A sequel seems to come as an afterthought when there is a successful film. It is largely driven by a financial desire to capitalize on the original film. In most cases, they suck.

To a large degree I gotta agree with most of what you think.

You can bet that there's some underling, going through the novel series to see what might be best adapted for either TV, or the big screen. The backers pick one, then publicize the heck outta it before presenting it to Joe Public... throw some big name stars into it, or not to cut costs. See how the numbers went. Then decide whether do to a follow up with a sequel. In a way, if you go back far enough, the orig writers are in the driver's seat.

Some of Steven King's novels put to screen weren't bad... but some were terrible! I've read he'd become a lot more picky how the production went and how it was adapted.

Personally, I'd like to see more "Jack Reacher" movies, but with a better choice of actor for Jack. Maybe Dolf L.? Too old?

Q

Last edited:
There's a story that when the British play "The Madness of King George III" was made into a movie it was called "The Madness of King George" so Americans wouldn't think it was a sequel.

I Am Number Four. I liked the movie and the characters but they bailed on the sequel.

Rubicon was a TV series that was canceled after one season. This show had potential, it made you think but not in a taxxing way.

Last edited:
There is a Canadian writer by the name of Jack Whyte, I think would lend a great framework for his novels to be fleshed out in movie format. The time period starts in Britain during Roman occupation right up to the onset of the middle ages. The reader follows the different generations of one family and all that went with their unique stuggles to deal with the land and the many problems they had to deal with in order to survive.

The series of these books is called "A Dream of Eagles".

I've read this series, an interesting take on the King Arthur legend.

-Dave

Breaking Bad... :thumbsup:
I wholeheartedly agree If it could reach the bar the 1st did but I actually think the BB bunch is giving us, in a round-about way, a quasi-sequel-prequel with Better Call Saul.
That's the way I'm looking at it and I believe they're going to be successful too - I love both shows!

I thought there would be one for "Master and Commander". After getting duped by the French Captain I figured it was wide open for them to go after him. Then we got nothing!

I thought there would be one for "Master and Commander". After getting duped by the French Captain I figured it was wide open for them to go after him. Then we got nothing!

Excellent choice for an excellent movie!

I still use that toast that was made as they sat around the officer's table, eh? Gets a few chuckles cept for the sig other.:biggrin:

Q

I was hoping for the long awaited (by me at least) Hellboy III. But, that doesn't seem to be happening now. No interest from the studio's, so Guillermo del Toro has thrown in the towel. Heck, I'd settle for another Hellboy animated movie, if it would resolve the trilogy. I doubt that'll happen either. :confused:

Now my wife, was hoping for all of the Divergent movies to make it to the screen. So, I felt bad for her, when the final film, Ascendant, was cancelled. :eek:

There's one sequel that totally surpasses the original — The Magnificent 7 (1960; McQueen, Brynner, et al).

Nobody even remembers The Magnificent 6, The Magnificent 5, or 4 or 3 or 2... much less the first film, The Magnificent, which wasn't....
Problem is, that movie wasn't half as good as Seven Samurai, the original.

Well, the French Captain was on the Acheron, in the hold. They didn't need to chase him down. More important.... did they ever find the flightless bird? :)

I agree though, they have 20 other novels from O'Brian from which to pull material from!

Excellent choice for an excellent movie!

I still use that toast that was made as they sat around the officer's table, eh? Gets a few chuckles cept for the sig other.:biggrin:

Q
Which one, "the lesser of two weevils?"

Problem is, that movie wasn't half as good as Seven Samurai, the original.
Agreed. You probably know this — the original title of Kurosawa's movie actually was The Magnificent 7. When H'wood bought the rights to do a remake, they also bought the title. Therefore, when the Japanese-language original was released in the U.S. as a "foreign film", they had to find a new title and came up with Seven Samurai...

Well, the French Captain was on the Acheron, in the hold. They didn't need to chase him down. More important.... did they ever find the flightless bird? :)

I agree though, they have 20 other novels from O'Brian from which to pull material from!

The toast from the Master and Commander: "Here's to our wives and mistresses. May they never meet".;)

Q

Maybe I need to watch it again, but I seem to remember that there was some concern about him after figuring out he wasn't the Doctor of the ship and as a result they were going to catch up with them again.. Of course there is the possibility that just want to watch it again. ;) It has been a while.

The prize crew on the Acheron was under very capable leadership and I assume French morale was low after the whipping they'd just taken. The turnaround at the end was just a bit of humor.

I read that a sequel was considered but the picture didn't make enough money to justify
one.

Maybe I need to watch it again, but I seem to remember that there was some concern about him after figuring out he wasn't the Doctor of the ship and as a result they were going to catch up with them again.. Of course there is the possibility that just want to watch it again. ;) It has been a while.
You should watch it again. It's great. My wife groans when I play it, I've watched it so much. I've always taken the ending to be that the French Captain, although lying about being the Doctor, was locked in the brig. Although the Acheron in itself was a good get, Tom was promoted and made Captain of the ship and ordered to sail to Valparaiso. When Aubrey realizes he's been duped, he turns his ship to intercept so that he could take the French Captain himself.

Am I misinterpreting the ending?

The prize crew on the Acheron was under very capable leadership and I assume French morale was low after the whipping they'd just taken. The turnaround at the end was just a bit of humor.

I read that a sequel was considered but the picture didn't make enough money to justify
one.

Master and Commander was snubbed for the Oscar (LOTR/Return of the King was good, but not that good, IMHO). The gross sales were !~$213 million, though they only made ~$94 million Domestic. That's really sad that that wasn't enough to justify a sequel..... yet we have (is it) 8 Fast and Furious movies. Sigh.

I found this snippet from Russell Crowe on trying to get a sequel made (http://collider.com/master-and-commander-2-sequel-russell-crowe):

"I think it’s just something you need to talk to the studio about because the possibility of doing another one is there, and even though I’m not contracted to it, I’d love to play that character again, because after playing that character I kept reading the books, and there are so many wonderful stories. But that was a very expensive movie for its time, so that’s something that has to be examined.

Something else that’s difficult is you also have the estate of Patrick O’Brian, you have the original studio, which I think was Samuel Goldwyn, then you have Fox, who was the principal studio that made it, but they made it in partnership with Universal and Miramax. So it’s very complex to try and get those people on the same page and working towards a second one. Not that I’m trying to do that, but I get asked this question quite a lot."

This will never have a sequel made.

Sat back an thought of some movies that I would like to have seen a sequel to, and they'd be those types that leave you hanging as to what really happened in the end. I still think they do that in order to see what feedback they get in terms of people either asking or demanding a sequel.

Personally, I'd like to see sequels to "No Way out" (Costner). The ending shocks ya. "Second Hand Lions (Duvall&Caine), but there'd have to flashback having them live, but in hiding. "On The Beach" either in B&W or updated with either a Disney ending or as they inferred in the orig...a tragic one. Sometimes art has to reflect reality.

My 2 cents for the day, eh?

Q

Last edited:
"Second Hand Uncles" (Duvall&Caine), but there'd have to flashback having them live, but in hiding.

"Second Hand Lions", or is "Second Hand Uncles" the title of the sequel? Regardless, that was a fun movie. Great story and acting. Plus, made more interesting, due to urban legend lore, about the nephew being based on Bill Watterson, of Calvin and Hobbes fame. I just kind'a felt the film makers were fans of the strip.

Back
Top Bottom