Excited about new speaker restoration project (JBL 4435's)

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
I haven't had many speaker projects the past year since the current speakers I own seem destined to stay put. I also never thought I'd own a pair of these monsters simply because I have never seen or heard of a pair down here in South Florida. But luck turned out in my favor. My friend that owns a moving business was located about an hour from their location, and he agreed to pick them up and include them on his next trip towards the end of this month. I was able to swing a great deal for them, cabinets look like they will restore easily, and I have everything but the grills and foil badges to finish them off with.

I honestly thought they wouldn't fit in my main listening area, so I wasn't too committed in making this happen. But after talking to my wife, and her mentioning she liked my previous pair of 4430's, I decided to measure where they would go to confirm or disprove my fears.Turns out I have 39" of space on each side, and the 4435's are 38" wide. :thumbsup:

I plan on refinishing the walnut veneer with plugs, and patches of new veneer, and possibly a good sanding to get it looking like new. I might also decide to freshly stain the veneer to make everything even in color, and then spray a satin sealer on them to give them a furniture grade finish. I have done this in the past with great results, it is more durable than an oil finish, and the very light gloss gives it a freshly oiled type appearance.

My dilemma is finding out if they will take the place of my 250ti's, if not, then they will most likely be put up for sale I guess. I am thinking that they will really match up well with my WOPL 700B amplifier though, I have to admit I'm pretty excited about finding out. Once they arrive, I will document the process with pictures and my experience. Should be quite a fun project, I just need to make sure I don't hurt my back moving these beasts.

JBL 4435 cabinets.jpg JBL 4435 drivers.jpg JBL 4435 horn driver.jpg

Well, you know I'll be cheering you on! Enjoy, and let me know if I can help.

BTW, I've seen this before, but what kind of asshole removes the port tubes? Geez. The foilcals is bad enough.

Well, you know I'll be cheering you on! Enjoy, and let me know if I can help.

BTW, I've seen this before, but what kind of asshole removes the port tubes? Geez. The foilcals is bad enough.
From what I understand, the original seller was parting them out, the person I got them from bought everything that was left to do a restoration. I will most certainly be in contact Zonk, these will be beauties when I'm finished.

4435's, heck id be excite too! Cant wait to see your progress.
I loved my 4430's before, so these should shock the senses. I really enjoy knowing I saved them from being parted out, and the wife is excited about all the extra space for her knick knacks. :rolleyes:

Awesome! I love it when somebody else is as jazzed as I am about this stuff and has good luck too!
Lots of pics please.

A little spit- a little polish- lots of love, that's all they need. Congratulations on a great find and an even better decision to give them a second life. We're all here to help in anyway we can.

Wow! That type of project makes me salivate!
I'll be following along and congrats!
Glenn

That looks like it's going to turn out awesome! Nice score and can't wait to see the finished product!

I had a graphics company make them, one of my neighbors owns the company and did me a favor. And wouldn't you know it, he told me he has a bunch of his dads old stereo equipment that he wants to get rid of, all he told me was that it was big and heavy. :idea:
Big & heavy.....bells are going off in my head.

Big & heavy.....bells are going off in my head.
Yeah, the cabinets most likely will be too big for me to handle safely myself, either the cabinets or my body might sustain damage. :eek:
The last major repair of big cabinets were my Cornwalls, they were difficult to handle by myself and I know the 4435's are much heavier.:yikes:

Back
Top Bottom