Fall New England FrankenFest Saturday October 20th, 2018 Sutton MA

w1jim

I can fix it but good...
Subscriber
We're on for the 2018 FallFrankenFest!

We have once again secured the American Legion Lodge in Sutton, MA for Saturday October 20th, 2018. We have the room for 12 noon until 5 PM though "organizers" can show up early to help "setup".

This is our second time at this venue - the last event in March went quite smoothly.

The location is just off of route 146 south of the Mass Pike (I90) - so this should be a little bit closer for most of us versus Clinton.

Dudley-Gendron American Legion
156 Boston Rd
Sutton, MA 01590

Here's a link to a map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...24bd01d4435f98!8m2!3d42.1598864!4d-71.7401907

Here's the Barter Town thread (visible to AK subscribers only):
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....0-20-18-fall-frankenfest-stuff-thread.832568/

The room costs us $250.
I've already paid for the room for this event from excess proceeds from the March event.

Entry fee for this event will be $5 per person (kids and spouses are free).
This money will go toward paying for the next event's room fees.

There's more -
We are not allowed to bring alcohol onsite or drink out in the parking lots - but - there is a bar adjacent to our room for those who crave a brewski with the friendly locals.

There is a kitchen area where we can use the refrigerator and also warm food - but don't plan on cooking a meal there (sorry Ed).

As we saw last time there are tables available.
We should bring extension cords and power strips.

They have an ATM in the bar (could be dangerous, I know).

Plenty of parking and no stairs from the parking lot so loading and unloading will be easy.

If anyone would like to put on a presentation or seminar that would be great - just let me know.

For the last 2 events I had T-shirts and polo shirts made. We won't have anything like that for this event.
If folks would like me to get event items (hats, hoodies, etc) for the March event let me know and maybe we can do that.

Glenn aka GD70 is going to try and coordinate some listening sessions (I know, like herding cats).

It's wonderful that we can continue the FrankenFest tradition.
For now it looks like a Fall (October) and Winter (March) event schedule works out well so we'll stick to that.

I hope this is taken positively , but if we are doing listening sessions , I think we should emphasize on some lesser known gear and rarities. Most of us have heard a lifetime worth of AR, KLH, Sansui pioneer etc, . I may be in the Minority (literarally and figuratively hahah ) but when Pete brought in those hologram units and Ian brought open baffles he made and Paul brings interesting tube builds , Don's JR 149 speakers, Baco99's Holt Hill prototypes, Todd and Dave always bring stuff that most of us have rarely seen outside of a vintage magazine. Hell even Brians Merlins, Jims Celestion 300s got a nice crowd to listen. etc. Those are the things that should be spotlighted. Im obviously not speaking for everyone , But bringing repeats of things from prior meet ups over and over again just seems redundant and playing at front row concert level ?

I really hope that a good listening rotation can be sorted out and with fresh items that we've not experienced before. Again I hope that this is coming out with heartfelt passion and not sounding like a bitch session directed at anyone. I enjoy these meet ups and look forward to them. :)

I concur - while we can of course only listen to the gear that people bring I too would implore folks that have unique gems to bring them for the group to experience.
This can of course be a challenge - for example I’m not going to bring my 80# Sansui receiver and 200# speakers but would like to demo my upgraded Sansui AU999 - but might have to bring some common speakers, etc.

I agree. ☝️

However, I don't want discourage people from bringing something they are proud of either. Sometimes having a set of AR or ADS around is helpful as a Reference against some of the oddball or exotic stuff.

Last edited:
Damn, I had a whole menu planned!
Although, I must say the pizza someone brought from next door was damn good!

Damn, I had a whole menu planned!
Although, I must say the pizza someone brought from next door was damn good!

Well now you'll just have to bring those cool looking Amps you have ( or had) posted on Bartertown as an alternative for the food that we were expecting to have prepared by a our very own professional chef :)

I think I am going to try and attend this time.
The reputation of this gathering has reached the Left coast and it looks like it's a real hoot.
Good people, good gear to hear, good sales tables, and now, good pizza from next door.......
Heck, what's not to like.

I plan on being there, but might be without any gear. Currently everything is in storage and our closing was scheduled for early July. Buyers have turned into flakes and I have no idea where we will be come show time. But, with that being said, if it all isn't still stored in 3 different places, I would like to participate in an organized listening session. I still have the ESB and some JBL Monitors. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

The reputation of this gathering has reached the Left coast and it looks like it's a real hoot.
Good people, good gear to hear, good sales tables, and now, good pizza from next door.......
If you're flying in coordinate with us and I'm sure we could get someone to ferry you from the hotel or airport.

Looking forward to it!
I think I’ll bring the Magnepan SMGs I recently restored. Not many have heard Maggie’s!
Regarding listening sessions, let’s see if the far end of the room can be the listening area, closer to the door area for sale stuff.
May work, may not.
Glenn

Last edited:
If you're flying in coordinate with us and I'm sure we could get someone to ferry you from the hotel or airport.
Thanks Much w1jim. :thumbsup:
My brother lives in Charlton so I am all set.
Now I have to figure out just how big a suitcase I will need to bring.:idea:

Should be fun, as usual. Not sure what I'm gonna bring this time around, but it just might make sound. See yas there! :biggrin:
-Adam

Crud, I'm expecting company for that weekend, and there'll be a football game to attend that day - but have fun and take lots of pictures!

I plan on being there, but might be without any gear. Currently everything is in storage and our closing was scheduled for early July. Buyers have turned into flakes and I have no idea where we will be come show time. But, with that being said, if it all isn't still stored in 3 different places, I would like to participate in an organized listening session. I still have the ESB and some JBL Monitors. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Nooooo….buyers have indeed turned into flakes! I want to blame my wife...BUT I'M NOT MAN ENOUGH!!!

This is great news. Hope to see you there.

Looking forward to it!
I think I’ll bring the Magnepan SMGs I recently restored. Not many have heard Maggie’s!
Regarding listening sessions, let’s see if the far end of the room can be the listening area, closer to the door area for sale stuff.
May work, may not.
Glenn
Good call Glenn. I like the idea of separating sales vs listening areas. Last year was a cacophony. Hopefully folks will follow that approach, or perhaps we can put up some signage indicating where to locate.

Yeah, you and me both. I went to the old woodshop the other day. 1 year to the day of Franks' exit from this dimension. They still have not rented that space after giving his wife extreme hell for months, and they are also ripping up some of the floor. Great memories in that place.

Back
Top Bottom